BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
John Michl
John Michl
Keokuk, Ia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,742 guests, and 507 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 177
koan58 91
Stuart 86
Popular Topics(Views)
434,442 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,243
Posts631,726
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#522601 - 01/12/14 11:06 am What expendables for magneto rebuild  
stubbicatt R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
stubbicatt R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Westminster, Colorado
Guys, what parts such as seals, corks, etc., should I source for when I remove, have rebuilt, and replace the magdyno? I have the parts book, and can look up part numbers etc., but my concern is there are doubtless desirable parts for replacement that I haven't thought of.

Thanks in advance.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#522608 - 01/12/14 11:39 am Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
bsalloyd Offline
BritBike Forum member
bsalloyd  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Fe, Texas
I can tell you I have rebuilt a few magnetos with various levels of success. I you want to be sure you have a good reliable mag send it to one of the individuals that provide this service. They will have all of the quality parts needed. They also have the tools required. This would be a spark gap tester, lathe, and re-magnetizer to make sure you are getting the correct spark intensity. Not sure if we are allowed to suggest a provider. If we are I can give you a couple of names.

1951 ZB GS
1953 BB GS
1953 Super Flash
1954 Vincent BS
1963 RGS
1974 Trident
1973 850 Commando
#522611 - 01/12/14 11:45 am Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

Westminster, Colorado
Thanks bsalloyd. I have no intention of trying to rebuild a magdyno. I am trying to amass the proper seals, gaskets, bolts, washers, things like this which make putting it back together on the bike a single chore, rather than one spread out over several days while awaiting parts.

smile

Last edited by stubbicatt; 01/12/14 11:45 am.

#522616 - 01/12/14 12:27 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Middle East,
I'm with bsalloyd - the mag reconditioner should have the requisite parts for the mag instock. I suspect, however, that you want to klnow what you need to put the rebuilt mag back on the bike.

Easy: Need to have items I'd have on hand:

1 x timing cover gasket (Phil Pearson or several suppliers on eBay)

Possible extra items that would be Nice to have:

1 x mag pinion seal (65-2316)
2 x oil feed washer (rubber) for cam spindles (66-1923)

Plus maybe:

1 x timing cover crank end oil seal (prob not required)

Plus means of timing the igntion.

Kerry

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
#522618 - 01/12/14 12:56 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
DBDBrian Online content
BritBike Forum member
DBDBrian  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk England
The main thing you will need is a mag pinion puller.Gasket and seals as recommended by Kerry. If you are refitting your original mag then you most likely won't require any base shims. Watch out for the spring in the breather valve when you remove the cover. On re-installing the cover, I remove the oil check valve, ball and spring, and insert a piece of rod through the cover and gasket, into the oil way in the crankcase, to ensure the gasket is not impeding the oil hole. Also be sure to time the breather valve, when installing the pinion.
Hope this is of some help.
Brian

Brian

Made In England
#522641 - 01/12/14 2:40 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

Westminster, Colorado
Thanks fellas. You reckon it would be good to get the allen wrench, hex socket-type, screws for holding the timing cover on?

In this application, how tight is "tight," and would a dab of blue loctite be appropriate?

I read somewhere that I will need a cork gasket to go between the magneto and timing chest on the back, as well as an oil seal. Is this correct, and if so, where to source this cork?

When I remove the cover, and the oil check valve, will I be greeted by a bunch of oil pouring out the timing cover? Is it advisable to drain the oil tank prior to this exercise?

Last edited by stubbicatt; 01/12/14 2:41 pm.

#522725 - 01/12/14 9:55 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Middle East,
A little oil will escape thre timing cover.

If you don't have hex-head cap screws in the timing cover and the slotted cheese-head type are OK, leave them in - it's easy to over-tighten the cap screws.

Never used a cork gasket behind the mag.

The trick from Brian about making sure the oil hole is clear is a good one I will adopt too! (esepcially as the timing cover is off my bike..!)

Kerry

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
#522843 - 01/13/14 3:23 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
An important detail I've not heard mentioned here this time ...
As the mag will move side/side in the slotted holes in the mag platform, it's location can be a bit vague.

Here's the issue .. if the mag is positioned too far over the breather drive peg on the mag gear will cut into the outer timing cover. The 'trick' is to position the mag and with a straight edge across the timing chest face, insure the peg is below the face. Make sense?

There's a cork washer supplied in the (junko) OEM gasket set for use between the mag and timing chest. I've always found it too thick and useless and fab my own gasket.

Now would be a good time to replace the mag gear seal in the timing chest. Don't forget to grease the lips on the new seal.

Be sure to have a mag puller on hand as DBDBrian suggests. And be prepared to retime the engine when the mag is replaced, 'a whole nuther discussion'.

I would suggest you consider fitting a SRM Boyer electronic ignition vs rebuilding the mag as I and many others have done. Whatever ...

And speaking of Goldie sparklers ... I've gotten off center and ordered up a Powerdynamo magdyno from GER for my '62 'improved' GS project bike under construction. I ordered the dual spark version for use with my twin plug heads.
Do any of your GSrs have good/bad/ugly experiences with this unit?

Last edited by dave - NV; 01/13/14 3:27 pm.

dave - NV
#522865 - 01/13/14 6:49 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
DBDBrian Online content
BritBike Forum member
DBDBrian  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk England
No Stubbi you won't be up to your knees in oil, but it will drain through, if the cover is off for a long period.
I also have never fitted a cork washer.

Yes Dave, Good point re the breather drive peg, I have removed many a cover with the valve thrust face damaged, and who knows where the swarf went.

Re the Boyer system, I have just removed a Lucas MO1L mag converted with a Boyer unit. The owner found it a problem to start if it had not been used for a while, as it went into maximum advance when the battery was not a full 12 volts.
I fitted a new self generating BT-H magneto at his request. (I thought all magnetos were self generating) Bench tested only to date.But it starts well.
I must confess I prefer a good standard magneto for road use, but accept racing is a different ball game.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the powerdynamo magdyno.
Brian

Brian

Made In England
#523164 - 01/15/14 6:16 pm Re: What expendables for magneto rebuild [Re: stubbicatt R.I.P.]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

Westminster, Colorado
Well I ordered up the magneto shaft seal, 2 cam seals, and 1 main shaft seal. The vendor suggested using Yamabond or the like in lieu of a gasket between the 2 halves of the timing chest. Didn't even carry any gaskets.

I guess I'll call Baxter's after awhile and see about a timing chest gasket or 2.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.091s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8573 MB (Peak: 1.0604 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 00:37:30 UTC