BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,756 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,035
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52046 - 02/28/07 12:35 pm WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
joepenoso Offline
BritBike Forum member
joepenoso  Offline
BritBike Forum member

toronto
What 's the best made oil in frame triumph? What year was it built? Is it the most reliable triumph overall? What were some of the significant shortfalls of the various years you have to watch out for?
Thanks
joepenoso redwine

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#52047 - 02/28/07 2:57 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
joepensoe----FIRST THING I HEARD, stay away from 71-73. supposedly had lots of problems with new designs and drive train changes. 69-70 they just got everything in the right place. this the story ive` got from 75%, of the people i`ve talked to. baxter said he`d sell me a 71, restored for , EVERYTHING NEW.2900$ . all the other tri`s were [restored] 50% higher. hope this helps

bsatri32 :rolleyes:

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#52048 - 02/28/07 3:33 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Quote:
Originally posted by joepenoso:
What 's the best made oil in frame triumph?
Mine, of course!!! :p

Cheers,

Steve Prince

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#52049 - 02/28/07 4:06 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
VA Rebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
VA Rebel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Northern Virginia
All OIF models have the potential to be good bikes...depends on the mechanic.

I dislike the stock rear disc brake system on most 70's models. The master cylinder/reservoir design is poor, and the underslung caliper makes matters worse.

#52050 - 02/28/07 4:42 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
joepenoso Offline
BritBike Forum member
joepenoso  Offline
BritBike Forum member

toronto
I heard that the early frames have a tendency to crack along the oil tube swingarm area? The early 5 speeds were completely different design compared to the later models and were frought with problems............ but I'm not sure of the cutoff or if there was a resolution?
Thanks
joepenoso

#52051 - 02/28/07 4:48 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Little hard to answer your questions as to best year, best built etc when it has been 24 years or so since Meridan built a bike. Chances are, any built by Meridan have usually be touched by someone else. And most of the faults are well known and have been corrected or can be corrected (if possible).

Some of the stories you hear are simply the OIF prejudice. I happen to like the OIF bikes, they definitely improved them over the production life. I'd have no problem at all with an early OIF (oh wait, I have a 71!). They get a lot of bad mouthing, but they can be sorted into a decent, dependable ride. And since a prejudice exists against them, they are reasonable in price. IMO, a fair amount of the bad mouthing is either from the unknowing or from the OIF prejudice that exists.

The later Co-Op bikes (76 on) are decent all around bikes. And like the early OIF's, they did a fair amount of evolving. It boils down to do yoru research, decide what you are looking for, what you can afford, and your skill level to sort it.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#52052 - 02/28/07 5:03 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
Good answer rich b,your well versed i can see that, wish i was. ask me about 1932 fords laughing

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#52053 - 02/28/07 5:10 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Ron T. in KY Offline
Ron T. in KY  Offline

Northern KY
Had a lot of problems with new design in the drive train????
clap

The frame cracking was from a few bad welds and people starting them on the center stand. Yes, it can happen, but it can happen on a brazed lug non OIF too. It just won't weep oil to tell you.

Course I could be prejudice since I've had a 71' Bonneville since 73', beat the tar out of it for 8 years in college. Jumped RR crossings, camel back hills, blasting fire roads and generally abusing it as a young punk does. Never cracked the frame, never broke the gear box, never had to replace any major part. Rectifier, condensors, points, lot's of tail light bulbs, and it now has a cracked chain guard. eek

Always ran like a scalded dog, stopped like it had an anchor, (but you have to know the secret to making conicle brakes work) and handled better than anything I rode it against. Maybe that's why I bought a 71' BSA A65... :p

They are all good if you know how to work on them and set them up. They can be all bad if you don't, no matter what the year. The rest is all opinion.

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
#52054 - 02/28/07 5:21 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Ok, Rich B, can we start a list of what needs attention to sort out design flaws in 71 bonne's, cuz I have one.

1) Inner four head bolts, and their washers.

2) ?

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
#52055 - 02/28/07 5:24 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Matt J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matt J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chicago
joepenso,
Aside from there being the aforementioned problems with the 5 speed in the 71 gears boxes, the only negative feedback I've heard that isn't based up opinion was that the 71 frames were too tall for shorter riders. Other than that its just a matter of opinion and preferences about styling that are sullying the names of the OIFs.

Matt

#52056 - 02/28/07 5:37 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
The frame did crack on my 76 T140V at the swingarm pivot. of couse the bike was cartwhelling through a cornfield at 60 some odd mph at the time laughing

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#52057 - 02/28/07 5:47 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
IMO, the too tall frame is a bit of a myth too. There is a " difference in seat height between a 70 BSA & a 71 OIF. The major difference is the WIDTH of the front of the seat compared to what came before.

There may have been some early frames that cracked. Though I know of a certain well flogged BSA OIF that had a crack in the frame, right Alex laugh . I have also seen a couple of frames that were repaired. At least one was on a bike that was badly abused. It can be repaired/reinforced if you have a problem child or intend to race it.

Most of the early 5 speeds have gone onto the great reward (whatever that is for a transmission laugh ). There were bulletins to update them. Chances are, if you find an early 5 speed, it may have been updated.

BTW, if the price was right, I'd buy another OIF bike, regardless of year.

#52058 - 02/28/07 6:16 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Found in the archives of BBC WorldNews;

"Start Date of Global Warming Confirmed in UK"

From the climatology department of Birmingham University, Birmingham England.

Climatology scientist at Birmingham University have found a definitive start of global warming in the United Kingdom. The entire global warming event started in the Birmingham area, specifically near Meridan and Small Heath.

It seem when the now defunct BSA Group started producing the infamous Oil In Frame bikes in late 1970. It created such an atmospheric imbalance that temperatures began to rise. It was so serious, it continues to this day and has spread worldwide.

For many years, analysts have blamed the collapse of the BSA group on all of the alleged defects of this model. Now it has been found by careful study, it could cause the loss of major portions of London when sea levels begin to rise due to the global warming event this model created.

Scientists are carefully studying records of the BSA Group to understand exactly how this model had such serious defects as to affect global climate. They are hoping hteir findings can be supplied to other companies to prevent such catastropies from happening in the future.

#52059 - 02/28/07 6:31 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Ron T. in KY Offline
Ron T. in KY  Offline

Northern KY
This is serious, best that we gather up all the OIF bikes and send them to me for Proper disposal. I will contact Al Gore and his movie comrads to tell him of our vaunted efforts to help the world. It's not easy being green....

If you don't like change, you're going to hate extinction...
75' Commando
71' Bonneville
71' BSA Firebird
71' B50 Street tracker
62' BSA A10 Super rocket
60' BSA DBD Goldstar roller
97' Buell S3T
09' KTM 990 Adventure
00' Sherco 2.5
#52060 - 02/28/07 6:40 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
well...my OIF is a late 72 engine, that once upon a time had a five speed box and now has four gears, mated to an early 73 frame...mine is the best to me because i took it apart to the nuts and bolts and built it back up the way i wanted it to be...it runs and looks like new and i have about $4k total in it...an even investment, but i plan to keep it 'forever'.....the four speed box might be an issue to some, but i know that it's tried and true. in short, the best one is the one you get/have that suits your style and purpose.

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#52061 - 02/28/07 6:50 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Matt J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matt J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chicago
Rich B,
I caught a report on CNN a few months ago that cited the OIF bikes as one of the primary driving forces behind the rise in oil prices. It turns out the constantly cracking frames are forcing owners to replenish oil in the tank so frequently that we have created our own market and sent world prices skyrocketing. Coincidently, reports are beginning to surface that yesterday's decline in the world stock markets can be attributed to OIF owners experiencing a collective "what the hell was I thinking when I bought this?" forcing a mass sell off of bikes that sent the markets spiraling downward.

#52062 - 02/28/07 7:21 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
meriden4ever Offline
BritBike Forum member
meriden4ever  Offline
BritBike Forum member

London United Kingdom
The 650cc TR65 Thunderbird built from 1981-3 was thought of as the best OIF by Motorcycle weekly whose editorial was not too keen on Meriden; reminds me of Richard Gere's ride in An officer & A Gentleman-- certainly has seen the most females on the back than my other bikes!

Generally speaking, the later , the better with the electric-starting TSX being chairman's John Rosamond's favorite-and popular with my family, too ! Reminds me of Marlon Brando's bike

Personally, I like the Tiger Trail which is very flickable and great around town & country and reminds me of Steve McQueen in the ISDT

Not ridden the TSS(AV) yet but we'll see....

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail
#52063 - 02/28/07 8:42 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
joepensoe---There that will teach you ALESSON.i`ve built show winning street rods fo 40 years. That is another place where you should ask a couple guys then go ahead and do your thing.I HAD A GUY 2O YEARS AGO, i asked about building a mustang motorcycle, done 4 of them, this guy got mad on the other end of the line and said,[JUST TEAR THE DAMN THING DOWN AND BUILD IT] then you`ll find its just what you wanted and you [me]WON`T BE TOTALLY LOST BY ASKING TO MANY questions. I SILL TO THIS DAY ASK TO MANY QUESTIONS AND GET BEFUDDLED.

but if you don`t ask, and something goes terribly wrong, you don`t have anyone to blame make any sense.

bsatri32 like they say :beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

Bob S
#52064 - 02/28/07 9:05 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
dogsrocket Offline
BritBike Forum member
dogsrocket  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
All english bikes have their problems! if they did'nt they would'nt be english!

#52065 - 02/28/07 9:08 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Alex Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
RichB is right, OIF bikes suck...

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#52066 - 02/28/07 9:35 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
Vox Teardrop Offline
BritBike Forum member
Vox Teardrop  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Indy
Quote:
Originally posted by joepenoso:
What 's the best made oil in frame triumph? What year was it built? Is it the most reliable triumph overall? What were some of the significant shortfalls of the various years you have to watch out for?
Thanks
joepenoso redwine
How long is a piece of string?

95' Triumph Speed Triple
72' Triumph T120
64' BSA Lightning Rocket
#52067 - 02/28/07 9:50 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
joepenoso Offline
BritBike Forum member
joepenoso  Offline
BritBike Forum member

toronto
I see to remember Mr Nelson stating that the 68-69 Triumphs were the best of the line. All I asked........ looking only at oil in frame models......... the same thing? It's not as esoteric as how long is a piece of string or how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin.
I know they are at least 25 years old but British Bikes are unique in the sense that you find more original or low mileage models around than all others combined.
joepenoso beerchug

#52068 - 02/28/07 10:58 pm Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Electric starter aside, 1978 to 1982 models have my vote, hands down!

Triumph road tester, Bob Rowley, is quoted as saying that while testing the new frame, "I was beaking frames every two or three days..." The technical people told him he was being too hard on the bikes. He claims that they eventually put it right during production. The frame wasn't the only thing they were breaking: Fork legs, caps and steering heads were also breaking. quotes from Looking back with laughter and despair by Mick Duckworth...Vintage Bike 2006

Boy is there a lot of transmission "folk law" in this thread... Good thing the fact police no longer drive Triumph Saints! :rolleyes:

#52069 - 03/01/07 12:04 am Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
joepenoso Offline
BritBike Forum member
joepenoso  Offline
BritBike Forum member

toronto
Thanks John!
That's all I was looking for. help
I respect your opinion on these matters and I know it's difficult to give a straight answer sometimes.

joepenoso

clap

#52070 - 03/01/07 12:19 am Re: WHAT'S THE BEST BUILT OIL IN FRAME TRIUMPH?  
joepenoso Offline
BritBike Forum member
joepenoso  Offline
BritBike Forum member

toronto
I forgot to thank Meriden and the rest who tried to give me a straight answer.
Thanks Again

joepenoso

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.709s Queries: 15 (0.023s) Memory: 0.9957 MB (Peak: 1.3299 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 15:24:56 UTC