BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Carlo
Carlo
Eugene, OR
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Alan_nc), 185 guests, and 436 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet, Joe Bruney
10416 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 80
Triless 79
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
708,834 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,288
Posts664,861
Members10,416
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: MarksterTT] #512715
10/31/13 1:16 pm
10/31/13 1:16 pm
wisconsin
J
jurbanec Offline
BritBike Forum member
jurbanec  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

wisconsin
I got mine from MAP some years back. Its shown in the tools section of their full catalog. Not a very good pic though. Works great.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: jurbanec] #512725
10/31/13 1:55 pm
10/31/13 1:55 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

This tool?

All this is good on a virgin head...But I'm thinking many heads have had several previous guide replacements. If the previous guide was pounded in and got off center ,no matter what tool is used the guide will follow the path of the previous guide. So if the valves appear recessed into head as most are then you can assume the above and or sloppy valve grinding.
So the fix is boring oversize guide holes with custom over size guides if necessary.
I'm not discrediting the use of proper techniques and tools,just saying what many of us hobbyists have to deal with.

I ride dinosaurs that eat money
Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: Chris R] #512732
10/31/13 2:45 pm
10/31/13 2:45 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline

BritBike Forum member
J

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm not discrediting the use of proper techniques and tools,just saying what many of us hobbyists have to deal with.

HB, in most cases it has been the "experts" who have brought us to this point. This situation is not unlike some of the balancing jobs done to these Triumphs by Big Time Experts. Not only do you NOT get the factor you asked for, as they are experts - not you, the work is done in such a shoddy manner as to render the parts unusable. I have seen to many Triumph heads in my days done by "EXPERTS" that I would use as a door stop. Yes, getting the guide hole true with the seat and free of any grooves that allow oil to migrate into the port is a part of the job. This, whether you be a hobby mechanic or an Expert.

There are a few real brand, and even model, experts in this British game. One of our sponsors, Ed Valiket, is fluent in BSA singles and twins. Although not a sponsor, Leo Goff has extensive experience in all types of head work. While the shop he runs does a lot of Porsche work, he is especially knowledgeable about Norton. He was a Norton dealer and holds many drag racing records with his bike:s. He also has had extensive experience with Triumph, and other British brands of heads.

If you wan to read a profile of LEO:
http://www.confederatechapter.com/spring09.pdf

Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: Chris R] #512748
10/31/13 4:45 pm
10/31/13 4:45 pm
San Francisco Bay Area
M
MarksterTT Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarksterTT  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

San Francisco Bay Area
H.B., that's acutally a nicer looking installer then I remember, where did you see it?

What could have been; if Triumph had just cast in a little upstream guide support we'd all be happier but then it would have cost more to finish the port, much easier and cheaper without the support in the way to just run a hone thru the port, knock in a guide and call it good. Oh well, weld it up and start over maybe? This head design has so many compromises that it could make a guy crazy.

I wish John H. would put his Triumph knowledge in a book, history, procedures, tuning et al...just saying, Mark

Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: Chris R] #512759
10/31/13 5:20 pm
10/31/13 5:20 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline

BritBike Forum member
J

Boston, Massachusetts
Mark, in a way I have. Between what we have published in Vintage Bike since 1985, including those of Kevin Cameron (who actually was a Triumph dealer in the 1970's) and the few posts I haven't held back much.

Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: MarksterTT] #512760
10/31/13 5:22 pm
10/31/13 5:22 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

It's from their website.

Triumph could have done a lot of stuff better by spending a few bucks on slight redesigns of problem areas..But then we all would be bored to tears with nothing to repair. tired

I ride dinosaurs that eat money
Re: Best brand of valves and guides for a '70- T120R? [Re: Chris R] #512795
10/31/13 8:07 pm
10/31/13 8:07 pm
San Francisco Bay Area
M
MarksterTT Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarksterTT  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

San Francisco Bay Area
John, I was afraid you were going to say that, I've got all the back issues and pretty much everything K.C. has written, just finished his book on Classic racing engines and can highly recommend that book, fascinating to read and even the chapters on the racing 2 strokes was interesting, I learned more about 2 stroke design then I ever thought I would care to know..but I'm still waiting for your book John....it would stand alone as one of a kind and a must have.

H.B., I missed something, whose website? And yes, Triumph could have done many things better but the basic engine is pretty good (and pretty if I can say that) for it's time but if only they had revised the head along the way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership