BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
oggy
oggy
Lancashire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
218 registered members (Adam M.), 1,807 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,253 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,272
Posts632,156
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#510170 - 10/13/13 10:20 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
drp Offline
BritBike Forum member
drp  Offline
BritBike Forum member

west central ohio where all be...
Gordon

I have one that my Dad gave me. He used it on his old cars back in the 40's and 50's and it is similar to this one https://www.ustool.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1519
However if you are not careful with the hammer you can split the linings. I'm still riveting my own lining and what I do is to put Pliobond HT-30 on the lining, rivet them in place and then cure the shoes in the oven at 300 deg. F (a trick I picked up from Vintage brakes). The pliobond HT-30 is available from McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pliobond-adhesives/=ox2nmd

Dave

Last edited by drp; 10/13/13 10:21 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#510180 - 10/13/13 11:04 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: drp]  
lincolntbird Offline
BritBike Forum member
lincolntbird  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Caveside, Tasmania, Australia
I have 2 of those brake rivet tools in my old tools collection, both are well used. They belonged to a friend & I bought them after he passed away. Haven't had a chance too use them yet.

#510205 - 10/13/13 2:53 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: lincolntbird]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Gordon, you started out looking for the resident expert for brake shoe rivet tools. It looks like you are quickly becoming that very person.

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#510206 - 10/13/13 3:05 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: TR6Ray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Well Ray.....I'm not an expert at anything but I sure have learned a bit about rivets in the past few days.

Here's a close up of what I've found on the Internet. Pretty much what you'll find at places like Granger and McMaster-Carr.

This darn thing runs $60 or more and it's for an 1/8" rivet...you can tell looking at it that the shaft is close to 1/2" so it wouldn't work. Now did the fellows back in the day buy one of these and then machine it down to fit....we all know better than that.

I'd love to see a photo of the correct British motorcycle tool. Like I said...they were doing it way before I was born....so it has to be out there.

Lincolntbird...if and when you get a chance....would you share a photo?

Dave Parker.....Long time no see buddy.....hope you're doing well??????

I have a tool coming first of next week...I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will work.

Kicking it in Mayberry.....Opie Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/13/13 3:10 pm.
#510233 - 10/13/13 7:00 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
Gordon,

Interesting thread. Being a sledge hammer mechanic vs finesse tool person I just always used non-drill end of a drill ground to the size/diameter I wanted. Put it in a drill press and bring it down (without turning on the press).

The other option which requires about 3 hands is just using a center punch.

All this is to say that your ideas are light years ahead of mine.

Pardon me.....I've got to go get a bigger hammer now for some points I'm adjusting................

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#510242 - 10/13/13 8:54 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
chew652 Online content
BritBike Forum member
chew652  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Winston Salem NC
I tried looking up roll sets and found this one.

http://www.rivetsonline.com/index.php?type=extended&pcode=TO-10-4505&dispatch[products.search].x=0&dispatch[products.search].y=0&dispatch[products.search]=Submit

I made a gazillion brake lining rivets back in the 70's and 80,s for Milford Rivet and Acme Rivet. Never thought about setting them though. I knew the anvils were called roll sets for semi tubular rivets. The strange thing is that when I had to rivet the linings for my 61 Alfa Romeo before my cold heading days I used a JC Whitney machine that used solid rivets.
Or getcha one of these and go into business.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brake-Riveter-MILFORD-MACHINE-CO-RAYBESTOS-MODEL-865-/321227173374

Last edited by chew652; 10/13/13 9:12 pm.
#510341 - 10/14/13 3:32 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
HughdeMann  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Beautiful North Carolina
Gordon, buy that machine on eBay. I am only about two hours away. I can pickit up and deliver it next May when I return to Franklin.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
#511015 - 10/19/13 12:17 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: ]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: BSA Brent

I have always just put a drift in a vice the same diameter as the rivet head, sat everything on that and then hit the rivets with a drift or centerpunch a bit to get them set. Never had any problems.

Brent....I have a feeling that's the way most people do it/have done it all this time. I was just hoping to find a "correct" tool. Maybe all along there really wasn't "one" correct tool???

Since I'm not lucky enough to have my dad leave me one like my friend Dave Parker (aka drp) I ended up making something work.

I got REAL busy this week and haven't had time to update this thread.

First off, I wasn't happy with my anvil so I sorta borrowed an idea from Alan and cut a section off of the correct size drill bit (5/16 fit the countersunk holes in my shoes) and installed it in the c-clamp....replacing the first one I used.

I like the feel of this one better...the shoe doesn't slide around on the anvil now.

I found a tool that works (for me). It's a "Crafttool" Tubular Rivet Peening Tool. It's small enough to fit past the shoe and big enough to roll the rivet. It's says it for ALL size rivets but since I'm only using one size...all I can say is it works for what I'm asking it to do. It's a leather workers tool and can be found all over the Internet for less than $10.

Hard to tell in this photo but there is a very small point on the end that centers it on the rivet.

Probably prettier than it needs to be.

I want to THANK everybody for their help and imput. bigt I think unless something else show up...I'm done with this one.

Take care....and thanks again....still kicking it in Mayberry, Opie Gone Bad (aka Gordon in NC)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/19/13 9:43 pm.
#511105 - 10/19/13 11:11 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
I'll be darned!

Gordon,
While stopping in at an aquaintance's, looking for a twin carb head for Chris [ aka Blown Income ], I spotted an interesting tool, standing up in the mess of his barn!

"Whut's THAT fur" sez I, and he tells me its a BRAKE RIVITING PRESS FOR BSA's!!!

And he's been using it for that, and for ... clutch plate rivits on hardley ableson's?????

Dagnabbit, I didn't have a camera to take a pic of it, SORRY!

#511217 - 10/20/13 7:22 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Rickman]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
No problem Rickman.....was it a lever type or hammer??? Mr Ray posted a link to a NICE lever type...but it runs $700 plus, way out of my budget. The one Dave Parker posted ( I FINALLY got the pic to load) looks like a deal...but the shaft looks like it might be a bit to wide.

I'm happy right now with what I have....now I'm looking for more linings.

Take care......enjoy the fall....opie gone bad.

#511220 - 10/20/13 7:31 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Not understanding your references, I think it was a stand alone type machine, that you stepped on a pedal, that actuated the pressing components to close together....

#511224 - 10/20/13 8:04 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Rickman]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Probably should have said (asked) if it pressed the rivet or used a hammer.

Sorry.............Opie Gone Bad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.246s Queries: 16 (0.044s) Memory: 0.8910 MB (Peak: 1.1150 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 11:59:41 UTC