BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,624 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,367 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,295
Posts632,522
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#51060 - 01/16/07 9:39 pm Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
Peter Quick Online content
Sponsor
Peter Quick  Online Content

Sponsor

Jaffrey, NH, USA
I'm working on a T20SM motor, basically a total rebuild. I have found that the crank bearing on the primary side slides on too easily and there is perceptible movement on the shaft. Not much but a slight tick can be felt. The bearing is new (and correct). I'm guessing that any movement of the shaft inside the inside bearing ring isn't acceptable. Am I stuck getting a new crankshaft assembly. Otherwise the crankshaft is good. A nice condition alpha rod and roller bearing that doesn't need replacing. Do bearings come a few thousands tighter, inner diameter? Lots of Locktite or a smear of JB weld? wink Any suggestions? Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#51061 - 01/16/07 9:47 pm Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Loctite do a product called 'Bearing Fit' which is designed to take up slack in loose fitting bearing/shaft issues as you have. If you look at the full crank drive will the nut on the end have its movement translated through the inner bearing ring and force it against the crank and hence lock it tight then this will help the situation but I would advise regular checking. Alternatively get the driveshaft plated on the loose journal with copper which you can then ease with emery cloth until the bearing fits properly. This would be my prefered option if the facilties are available.

#51062 - 01/16/07 11:20 pm Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Locktite #271 (I believe) Red, "Stud & Bearing Mount"

beerchug

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#51063 - 01/17/07 11:07 pm Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
Peter Quick Online content
Sponsor
Peter Quick  Online Content

Sponsor

Jaffrey, NH, USA
I turns out that I wasn't too far off talking about a smear of JB Weld or Loctite. Loctite has a few products for "retaining and securing cylindrical assemblies". I'll list some below.
Loctite 660, a quick metal retaining compound, high strength (3335 psi) fills voids up to .02", temperature resistance 300 F, for repairing worn coaxial parts, tapers, bearing seats, key seats.

Loctite 609,general purpose retaining compound, medium strength (1870 psi), fills voids up to .005", temperature resistance 400 F, retention of bearings onto shafts and into housings.

Loctite 680, high strength (2800 psi), fills voids up to .015" temperature resistance 300 F, retaining compound slip fit, best resistanse to dynamic, axial and radial loads, for retaining shafts, gears, pulleys and similar cylindrical parts.

I measured the difference between my bearing and the shaft and I come up with .0007 or .0008. So what would be better fom my application. # 680 or # 609? Perhaps the 609 since it is medium strength and migh be easier to disassemble in the future? What temperature would the primary side crank bearing be exposed to? Peter

:stout: :stout: :stout: :stout:

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
#51064 - 01/18/07 2:39 am Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Probably just slightly hotter than the oil coming out of the oil tank return.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#51065 - 01/18/07 7:55 am Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RF Whatley:
Probably just slightly hotter than the oil coming out of the oil tank return.
Logically laugh All the heat comes from the top.

Interesting thread as I have a T140 for rebuild and the original drive side main came off too easily.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#51066 - 01/19/07 12:47 pm Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
On A65's a lotta guys actually emery cloth the crank shaft so that the bearing inner race slides on and off easier. I have never been a fan of this, but once you tighten the crank nut up the race is pinched tight against the crankshaft cheek and apparently does not give problems. When I worked in industry (years ago) we would have expensive machine rolls with damaged shafts that we would heat and "spray up" with a metal compound while turning in a lathe and then resize for the bearing. An inexpensive repair for an expensive shaft.

Mr Mike

#51067 - 01/19/07 1:46 pm Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
If you loctite the bearing on it should come off quite easily with some heat, like from a LPgas torch and a split type puller or screw drivers putting some leverage on it. Not that everyone aproves, but I loctite the clutch taper on my A65 and its super easy to get that off when heated. It doesn't get hot enough in use to let go. Actually the drive side main bearing in it is loctited in the case because it was loose, and its staying put with 7-8 years running 8-12,000miles per year, with 883cc thumping at it. I warmed the case a little so as to put a bit off interfearence on it, but you shouldn't overdo that or it will close up the bearing clearance. I think it would be worth warming the bearing just a little before loctiting it on to a colder shaft.

mark
#51068 - 01/20/07 12:19 am Re: Slightly loose bearing fit - what to do  
beltdriveman Offline
BritBike Forum
beltdriveman  Offline
BritBike Forum

The most important 'thing' about the use of Loctite is the PREPERATION required prior to using it. Bit like decorating eyc eyc... forget the preperation get a crap looking job.
The shaft and bearing MUST be totally free of any oil etc. Loctite supply cans of spray for this-Loctite 7063 cleaner and degreaser. Or nick the wifes nail cleaning acetone and cotton swabs? Roughen the bearing and shaft with some fine abrasive paper. Clean again with Loctite 7063....or the wifes acetone? Personally I apply a spray of what I call Loctite N now called Loctite 7649 to the surfaces prior toapplying the actual Loctite and then I leave it untoched for 12 hours.

As for changing BSa mainshafts so trhe bearing becomes a sliding fit on the shaft instead of an interference fit. Did not BSA specify that the bearings were C3 fit which have more internal clearance than the 'normal' CN fit bearings specifically to allow for the increase in diameter of the bearings inner raceway when interference fitted to the shaft??? By removing it then there will be too much internal clearance and who knows how that effects vibration ...

No spell or grammer checks done

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.158s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8531 MB (Peak: 1.0311 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 02:15:25 UTC