BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
bones_bir
bones_bir
Central TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,760 guests, and 514 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 179
koan58 94
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
434,796 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,245
Posts631,743
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#509381 - 10/07/13 9:45 am Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Folks I'm going to have a go at relining my own brakes (BSA unit singles) and I'm shopping for a rivet tool.

Something along these lines

Brake Lining Rivet Tools

I'd like to hear any and all recommendations for a tool since I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance....Opie Gone Bad

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#509394 - 10/07/13 11:03 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
I use the Rapco on the airplane pads. Works great in that application but does not work on the SLS BSA shoes, as the rivets are too close to the edge of the cast shoe curvature to be able to squeeze. Same applies when trying to use a typical aircraft handheld rivet squeezer rivet squeezer. Broke several pads trying to make them both work. Ended up utilizing bonded pads in most cases where I didn't already have complete brake shoe assembly.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
#509397 - 10/07/13 11:12 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gary E]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
THANKS Gary....that's just the kind of information I need to hear.

Do you think the "other" tool on that link would work?

Some where in my research I read that pressing wasn't as effective as hammered?????

I'm into this and can't back out now. I have PLENTY of shoes to do but want to set myself with something that will work.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.....Gordon

#509431 - 10/07/13 1:45 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
I don't see any more probability that the other model listed would work. The mandral is to big in diameter, so same interference issue.

I tried the hammer method and it also resulted in broken linings.

1967 BSA Wasp
#509433 - 10/07/13 1:56 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gary E]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Well crap.....thanks Gary. I owe ya one for that information...you saved me from myself. smile

There has to be a tool.....I'm not reinventing the wheel here (pun intended)

So far I've not invested too much time or money but I would really like to do this and don't want to just give up.

Gary, thanks again......Opie

#509444 - 10/07/13 3:26 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
I would still like to hear from somebody who has done this...and had good results.

Looks like Hanson Rivet and Supply company in Pacoima, Ca will be able to help me tool up once I get the linings and rivets in hand so I can let them know what I'm working with.

Heck.....all brakes do anyway is slow ya down laughing Opie Gone Bad

#509451 - 10/07/13 4:03 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
DavidP Online content
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
My lawyer says not to post this. laugh
But, I've been using a rivet setting punch made for leather work for years. No problems with cracked linings. Maybe I just don't hit it that hard. Those brass rivets aren't that hard, I just tap until it sets evenly.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#509453 - 10/07/13 4:14 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
When I bought new shoes for my 7 inch TLS T100 brake, they arrived with the rivets almost flush with the brake lining surface. My Dad, a front end and brake mechanic, re sharpened a drill bit to square, drilled the holes in the shoes to the correct depth and used machine screws with the heads suitably ground flat and bolted the linings back onto the shoes. That was in '95 and I've since sold the wheel on after over 30,000 miles of trouble free braking. Some locktite on the nuts would be prudent but that solution worked for me. Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
#509462 - 10/07/13 5:25 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Wilfred]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Thanks for the replies fellows.

With what you've said....and what I've found out today talking with a couple of compaines. I think I can handle this.

Vintage Brake has some really good DIY tips on their web site. bigt

Hanson has the tools I'm looking for, (learned today that they are called Rivet Punch Dies) I'd love to have one of Hansons bench mounted riveters with the right size anvil and clincher but since I won't be doing THAT much of this I'll go with the hand punch dies.

This is something I've been wanting to try for some time now....I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the replies.....Opie Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/07/13 5:26 pm.
#509553 - 10/08/13 11:18 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
I stopped using rivets to fasten my brake linings some time ago. My longest trial so far using JB weld epoxy has been five years on the rear brake of the royal star (maybe 20-30K miles?) and about three years on the front. The only place I'm still reluctant to try this is my roadracer.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#509555 - 10/08/13 11:22 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Hey, maybe I can salvage those broken linings then with the JB Weld.

1967 BSA Wasp
#509741 - 10/09/13 12:49 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Alex]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
UPDATE!!!

Got the linings and rivets in...that's the good news.

I was wrong about what the tool I needed was called.. blush ....the correct one is called a Hand Rivet Clincher and wouldn't you know it Hanson doesn't have one that will work with the rivets/shoes I'm dealing with. (BSA unit single)

But....and that's a big ole... I'm shadetree and will never be anything else..but. I think I can make a tool to work with what I have in the shop. (sure wish I had a lathe frown ).

I pulled out my collection of used shoes (20+ pairs) and man oh man if I can't do better than some of them...I should give up on motorcycles all together.

By the looks of it.....I can do this.

Fixin to re-shoe the Roadster in Mayberry.....Opie Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/09/13 12:55 pm.
#509938 - 10/11/13 10:04 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Well....I searched rivet companies, model trains, leather works and brit bike tool dealers and still came up empty handed. What I'm looking for is a Hand Rivet Roll Clincher for .151" rivets (5/32?). Now that's not the hard part because there are plenty of those around BUT the ones I found online have a shaft that's 1/2" and if you've ever done this job you know that's to big to fit in the rivet and still get pass the shoe.

Now I KNOW this (re-lining brake shoes)has been going on for longer than I have been alive so there HAS to be a tool out there...I just haven't found it yet.

So, for the time being...I jury rigged one. Cheapo small c-clamp, drive pin out of a hinge, drill press and a bench grinder.

Disclamer: This is going to make some of you cringe. I'm sorry, some of us will never be racers, restorers, mechanics or machinist...we're the DPOs you hate. But IMO we have a right to enjoy the hobby in our own way.

Photos or it didn't happen? Opie Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/11/13 10:55 am.
#509939 - 10/11/13 10:20 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Okay....I gave the pros a chance to skip this part. smile

I took a cheap c-clamp and removed the screw. I drilled the threads out of the top so the screw would just slide through the clamp. I also found a pin out of a hinge to use as an anvil and drilled the clamp to except it and used a little expoy to help hold it in.

Then I put the screw in the drill press and with a file I worked the nub that used to hold the foot on down to a point.

Here's goes the first rivet....

Then the second...and you can see how the first rivet turned out.

I only did one shoe for now....my anvil was too tall and it bent at the groove in it (not sure what that was for?) So I shortened it then reset it.

I have a lot of these I want to do and will probably wait to see if somebody has pity on me and tells me where to find the correct tool. In the mean time I'm going to get more linings and more rivets (some of the ones I got this time are too short.)

There's a correct tool out there and the search continues.

From Mayberry, NC ....Opie the Cobler Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/11/13 10:32 am.
#509945 - 10/11/13 12:35 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Second shoe using the shorter anvil and I ground down the homemade clincher a bit.

Still worked pretty good....without having to have somebody hold the shoe for you.

I'm going to order some more...and keep looking for the correct tool...I had fun with this.

Kicking it in Mayberry.....Opie the Cobler Gone Bad

#509957 - 10/11/13 2:29 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Opie, No cringing here -- it looks to me like you have all the elements of the tool shown in the FSM, and then some. Plus you are able to keep your fingers out of smashing range. You probably don't even need to "choke up" on that hammer handle the way they showed it in the manual. Let 'er rip!:

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#510001 - 10/11/13 9:27 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: TR6Ray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Thanks Ray....means a lot coming from you.

Yes....I've been in construction in one form or another since I got out of the service in 1974....I don't choke up on a hammer. smile

I was taking a photo with one hand and the hand holding the hammer is the one I steady the shoe with...but I do keep it out of the way. bigt

There is a roll clincher out there that was made for the job....I just know there is and I'm going to keep looking/asking until I find one.

Take care....parked that beautiful Triumph yet??? Opie

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/11/13 9:29 pm.
#510010 - 10/11/13 11:31 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Gordon, you have probably already seen this and ruled it out, but just in case it might be workable Chicago Rivet & Machine Co.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#510043 - 10/12/13 7:47 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Dick Harris Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
Ingenious Gordon, it's the results that matter. Good one!! Dick

#510114 - 10/12/13 8:22 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
joe a. Offline
BritBike Forum member
joe a.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

minnesota
hi gordon…looks like it did a good job and does not require an extra set of hands……which is sometimes hard to find.
joe

#510117 - 10/12/13 9:32 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
I had a tool that slipped onto the jaws of a set of Vice Grips that was used to set the rivets in snaps {such as might be used to attach a tonneau cover to a fine British open roadster}.

You might look for one of those, if for no other reason than to see the shape the die that rolls the rivet over rather that splitting or flattening it.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#510120 - 10/12/13 9:44 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#510132 - 10/12/13 11:58 pm Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: TR6Ray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey Ray.....thanks for that link smile. Yes, I had already been on that site looking at hand roll clinchers but not the tool you are talking about. I requested a price but I figure it's going to be more than I want to invest and it's hard to tell from the photo's if it would work.

Mr Harris.... smile Thank you. I've been looking online for a few days now and have found a couple of rigs similar to the one I made....but they "squeeze" the rivet instead of hammer. I swear that I found them AFTER I made mine. laughing

Ob....yea the "key" to the roll is the shape of the tool...hence the tools name "Hand Roll Clincher". You're 100% correct...you want the rivet to roll. Here's what I'm looking for. The tool, third from the right is what I'm after.

There's a better photo online but for now I can't seem to find it. Once I do I'll replace this one with it. It's a drawing that clearly shows the profile of the tool.

Here's a shot of a .....roll clincher die and you can tell a little better what it looks like.

I've found a BUNCH of these tools for sale....from $15 -$60 BUT like Gary said in one of his replies there's a clearance problem. To get one of these tools to fit a 5/32" rivet...the shafts are running 1/2"....and that will not fit past the shoe and onto the rivet. You need something closer to 1/4". The (screw) driver for the jury rig I made is less than 5/16" (.302") and it's almost too big. So you see you don't want to spend a bunch of money just to find out the tool won't work. I have found 1/4" shafted roll clinchers but they are for much smaller rivets and from what I'm reading if you try to use them they won't roll the larger rivet correctly.

Well....if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun

Thanks again fellows....take care...Opie

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/13/13 12:05 am.
#510148 - 10/13/13 6:10 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Gordon Gray]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
That eBay link tool is for 1/8 rivets, that only a 1/16 smaller.

How about the tool you found with the 1/2 shaft?
Gotta a friend with a lathe, could turn it down for ya?

I could put it in my redneck lathe, it's not like anything you've seen!

#510166 - 10/13/13 9:40 am Re: Brake Lining Rivet Tool Recommendation [Re: Ob1quixote]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Ob....the drawing I was trying to re-find and post shows the end of the tool's profile and also gives the range in which they work. The trouble with the tool in the link you posted is they don't give you any specs so it's a crap shoot if it'll work or not. Not really a big deal....I guess you could ask them to measure the shaft for you.

BUT.....I was laying low until next week. I have more linings coming in and I "think" I found "the" tool I'm looking for. That combined with my modified cheapo c-clamp and I should have it covered. Good thing is, if they work, those tools should fit nicely in the tool box.

Problem I have for now is my stash of linings has run out and I need to find another supplier????????????????????????????

Breaking the welder out today to weld up a new bit for my B58's rearset....I finally got a folding kicker for it and it's time it gets some attention...while the brake lining thing sits on hold.

Still kicking it (yep pun intended)in Mayberry....Opie Gone Bad

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/13/13 9:44 am.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.230s Queries: 16 (0.026s) Memory: 1.0032 MB (Peak: 1.3638 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 10:18:32 UTC