BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dogge
dogge
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,725 guests, and 567 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 85
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,173 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,360
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#509385 - 10/07/13 10:19 am BSA A10 starting problems  
pantherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
pantherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western Australia
After many years of restoring my A10 café racer. I am now at the point of starting the bike, which is proving to be tricky. I think my problem is with the ignition timing. When building the engine. I think I must have set the timing ATDC rather than BTDC. So it would not start. So reading on this forum the opinion seems to be to set the timing 5/16" BTDC. So pencil down spark plug hole. Bring it up to TDC and mark the pencil. Measure 5/16 up pencil. Using the rear wheel to turn the motor over rotating wheel as though bike moving forwards(keeps going past the mark on the pencil using the kick start). As the piston is coming up to the mark on the pencil. stop, take of magneto drive (with auto advance), Rotate mag till points are just opening. Lock auto advance to full advance. Bolt mag drive back on to taper, check points are in same position. Still doesn't start. Ok change HT leads over. . Tickle carb, open choke, now it kicks back and backfires through the carb So question is what am I doing wrong. with it backfiring through carb is ignition too advanced or too retarded? How critical is the ignition timing to at least get it started?
Is there an easier way of setting the ignition timing on the A10. Am I missing something.
How much oil should be sitting in the sump. If I open the drain plug I am getting about 1/2 a cupful is this normal??
My Panthers don't give me this much trouble. I have tried setting the timing about 4 times now. Any thoughts much appreciated

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#509387 - 10/07/13 10:32 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
After you have got TDC then you need to rotate the rear wheel BACKWARDS as the timing is BTDC (=BEFORE TDC)by the 5/16" as measured on your pencil.
It should then start.
If it doesnt then swop the plug leads.
Not sure of your engine spec--BSA quoted several different ignition firing points over the years for engines in different states of tune.
Actually purely from memory--5/16" BTDC is more typical of a 500 A7---for an A10 650 something like 3/8" BTDC is more typical.
HTH

#509388 - 10/07/13 10:37 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
And after setting the timing unlock the auto advance so when kicking the timing is retarded.

#509393 - 10/07/13 11:03 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Actually---when you turn the rear wheel backwards go a touch beyond the mark on the pencil then bring it forwards to the mark on the pencil. This eliminates the backlash in the system.
HTH

#509395 - 10/07/13 11:04 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
When you are setting the mag, is the contact breaker just opening or just closing? It should be just opening.

beerchug
#509398 - 10/07/13 11:12 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: kommando]  
photobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
photobob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK Tyne & Wear
I don't know what model A10 you have but according to the BSA service sheets the A10 Gold Flash ignition setting 11/32" BTDC the Road Rocket and Super Rocket 3/8" BTDC. Trying to get the piston in the correct position using the kickstart is not ideal, put the bike on the stand with the rear wheel clear of the ground you may have to put a bit of wood under the stand to clear the back wheel. Put the bike in top gear then with both plugs out working from the primary side put your left thumb over the plug hole and turn the back wheel forwards until you feel pressure on your thumb then that cylinder is on the compression stroke. Remove your thumb then put your pencil down the plug hole turn the back wheel forwards until you get TDC then mark your pencil, then remove and measure the correct setting on the pencil. Insert back down the plug hole and then turn the wheel backwards until you go just past your mark then bring the wheel carefully forward until you get to your mark, doing it this way takes up any slack in your timing gears. Then using a small wedge jam the auto advance mechanism open this is full advance. Set the points until just breaking open I use a cigarette paper for this then refit the auto advance unit remove the wedge and now the bike should start. I should also say that sticking a pencil down the plug hole is not the most accurate way but it should be near enough to get the bike going.

#509508 - 10/07/13 9:57 pm Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
pantherman Offline
BritBike Forum member
pantherman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western Australia
Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. I was told its a 58 Golden Flash, but checking numbers on the BSAOC it appears to be a late 61 Golden Flash. According to my Haynes manual it should be 11/32 BTDC, but reading elsewhere on this forum it says 5/16" is better. So I have just got hold of a timing disk. Anybody tell me how many degrees 11/32" is. I mite try it at that unless anyone can advise otherwise
Thanks
Bruce

#509533 - 10/08/13 5:55 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
photobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
photobob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK Tyne & Wear
Sorry but I don't know how to convert the 11/32" to degrees but someone on this site will, I believe it has been asked before. In regards to the different settings advised what you have to remember is that the 11/32" was set by BSA when your bike left the factory but a lot has changed since then in regard to fuel it is not anything like way back then, even different in different countries. So all I can say is in my own case when I had my 1957 Gold Flash here in the UK I set it at 11/32" and had no problems I had the bike from 1996 till 2012 so it was used with leaded and unleaded fuels with no apparent problems I did however use an additive Castrol Valvoline for the effects of unleaded but if it did any good or not I do not know I still use it on my A65 but mainly for peace of mind as I have read a number of articles on the subject of unleaded fuels and am not convinced either way about valve seat recession caused by unleaded fuel.

#509541 - 10/08/13 8:22 am Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
Salty Dog Offline
BritBike Forum member
Salty Dog  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver Island Canada
I agree with Bob....it's all about the gas being used.

The following is posted on SRM web site as a guide:

Timing Figures

All figures take into account the use of un leaded petrol

A10 iron head 9/32 33 deg btdc
A10 alloy head 5/16 35 deg btdc

My A10 iron head is set at 32 degrees and seems to be ok for me.
I would experiment a bit.

HTH

S

Keep It Greasy
#509592 - 10/08/13 4:25 pm Re: BSA A10 starting problems [Re: pantherman]  
trevinoz Online content
BritBike Forum member
trevinoz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

newcastle australia
5/16" is 32 degrees.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.349s Queries: 15 (0.088s) Memory: 0.8614 MB (Peak: 1.0611 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 18:30:57 UTC