BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Dick1969
Dick1969
The Netherlands
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
227 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,780 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,557 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,279
Posts632,262
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#507619 - 09/23/13 8:05 pm 59 Super Rocket Rear Brake Cable Length???  
TonUpTrav Offline
BritBike Forum member
TonUpTrav  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Indiana
What is the correct length rear brake cable for a 59 Super Rocket? I've purchased two different cables (part # 42-7032 & 42-7042) and they both have been too long. I was hoping to have one of the cables modified to work for my SR but need the correct length. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#507637 - 09/23/13 9:57 pm Re: 59 Super Rocket Rear Brake Cable Length??? [Re: TonUpTrav]  
Rickman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Hey Travis,
D'you have the clevis brake end, or the ball end, or the threaded end?

Of the three A10's I'm building, one has a brake rod, so we aren't talking about that one, 'cause you did say cable, right?

I have the other two being the clevis brake end, with the ball at the pedal end.

Both outer housings are @ 14" long, and the cable, including the ball and clevis, is @ 22" long.
NOT including the adjuster thumbscrew in either measurement.

Yeah, the cable looks like it's too long, kinda droops on the way to the brake arm?
Even my Super Rocket had the droopy cable...

I'd guess they didn't want any chance of the cable being too short, and perhaps causing the brake to apply on a hard bump-in-the-road???

I believe the double ball ended cable was used on the Ariel brake equipped '56 & '57's???
I think that's what was on the only '56 I ever had, WAY back when???
I've got a spare Ariel BSA wheel, but no brake backing plate... Doubt I'll ever use the poor ol' thing... Trading materiel??? The bolt pattern for the rear sprocket is different enough from the BSA sprocket, that they are NOT interchangeable.
Brett

#507643 - 09/23/13 10:11 pm Re: 59 Super Rocket Rear Brake Cable Length??? [Re: Rickman]  
TonUpTrav Offline
BritBike Forum member
TonUpTrav  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Indiana
Brett,

I have the cable with the clevis at the brake end and the ball at the opposite end.
The cables I've bought are 22" also. However, when I install it the brake pedal has to be pushed down below the foot peg. I have too much cable and not enough adjustment. The old cable is measuring approximately 19 1/2". I don't know if this is the correct length or if my rear wheel is out of adjustment. I'm kind of at a loss on the correct direction to proceed in.

Travis

#507649 - 09/23/13 10:41 pm Re: 59 Super Rocket Rear Brake Cable Length??? [Re: TonUpTrav]  
Rickman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Evening Travis,
I'll suggest that you rotate the ball end lever of the brake pedal system, one tooth forward around the cross shaft? [ Best do this with the cable disconnected ] ... You may need an assistant to help hold the pedal up in place... And stop it from trying to get out the other side, while you are trying to push the lever back on...

Have you checked that the brake shoes do have enough material to be useful? Not totally worn out?
Brett

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.088s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8093 MB (Peak: 0.9564 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 02:08:13 UTC