BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
J Rowe
J Rowe
Orange, MA USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 204 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 55
TBolt72 47
Popular Topics(Views)
610,743 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,150
Posts651,632
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B50 crank Q. #50293
11/30/06 12:50 pm
11/30/06 12:50 pm
R
Ristow Offline OP
BritBike Forum
Ristow  Offline OP
BritBike Forum
R
hello people! new guy here.

i hit a snag putting my B50 back together a while ago.i put the updated alpha bearing and carillo rod in it,and now the crank tightens up when i snug up the crankcase bolts.

as you B50 guys will know,there is a bearing spacer that goes on the drive side of the crank before it is offered into the case half.so the questions are,is (was) that spacer available in different thicknesses to allow proper endfloat with varying tolerances? i'm guessing the new bearing has slightly widen'd the crank,and my spacer is now too wide.

any thoughts will be appreciated!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B50 crank Q. #50294
11/30/06 1:27 pm
11/30/06 1:27 pm
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
You need to have the faces on the side of the wheels where the bearing touches machined to give you back 3 to 5 thou end float. Before doing that however you need to ensure the new big end pin is seated correctly in the tapered holes in the flywheels. I would advise against thining the bearing spacer as this would move the whole crank to one side and the con-rod may not be central to the bore.

Re: B50 crank Q. #50295
11/30/06 2:49 pm
11/30/06 2:49 pm
california
james johnson Offline
BritBike Forum
james johnson  Offline
BritBike Forum
california
Ristow,

This seems like a common thing with Alpha Bearings. I have installed four Big ends to bikes over the last year and 1/2 and all of them have ended up like yours, so that should put your thoughts at ease regarding the growing big end.

on to making space.. have any spacers been placed between the main bearings and crank case? this is where I would start.... If not then I would start looking for another place to make space.. but as Kommando said in the preivous post, you need to make the space evenly between both sides so that the crank remains central.. 3 - 5 thou endplay should do it for the space.

james

Re: B50 crank Q. #50296
11/30/06 5:57 pm
11/30/06 5:57 pm
R
Ristow Offline OP
BritBike Forum
Ristow  Offline OP
BritBike Forum
R
thanks guys,i just talked to Frank Deihl,(he is a very nice man!)and am going to send it to him with the cases,and have him set it up.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership