BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,624 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,367 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,295
Posts632,522
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#502331 - 08/18/13 8:44 pm A65 Exhaust mounting  
Patch Offline
BritBike Forum member
Patch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Alberta
I recently picked up a basket case a65 lightning and im slowing getting it all back together. Its my first brit bike. So i have some new exhaust head pipes to put on but i dont see how they mount to the head on this bike. Theres no studs or even holes for springs or anything...what am i missing here? I tried searching but havent come up with anything

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#502333 - 08/18/13 8:52 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
BSAGuy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAGuy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bastrop, Texas, USA
The pipes slide into the exhaust port on the head. The bottom mounts on the frame near the pegs are the only thing holding them in. If the tab is bent it won't mount right. The header should slide into the exhaust port. Then a pair of finned clamps on top and you are set. I have two springs on my a65 to hold the clamps and pipe firmly in the exhaust port. I drilled the fin on both sides just to each side of the pipe, and put a pair of small springs in place to hold the pipe FIRMLY in place so it seals all the way. Just one of the peculiarities of the a65 and BSA's in general. Hope this helps: Good Luck to you.

Tim

Last edited by BSAGuy; 08/18/13 8:57 pm.

Always try to keep the chrome side up! Cheers!
#502336 - 08/18/13 9:16 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: BSAGuy]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Welllll....
There are three other ways the factory held 'em in place with;

)1 There was an early through rod, I believe?
)2 There was a strap that bolted underneath the pipes as they exited the port, after the finned "clamps"...
)3 Lastly, there was a ... balance tube? That tied the two pipes together.

Which system do you have, or are the pipes aftermarket, as some where, without any kind of upper attachment?

#502337 - 08/18/13 9:19 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: BSAGuy]  
Patch Offline
BritBike Forum member
Patch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Alberta
wow, thats kinda what i was thinking, just couldnt believe no means of securing it at the head...Maybe i'll add springs like u said. And the finned clamps are just a means of extra cooling i assume?
Thank you

#502340 - 08/18/13 9:22 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: BSAGuy]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Originally Posted By: BSAGuy
...The header should slide into the exhaust port. Then a pair of finned clamps on top and you are set...

Reverse the order of this instruction. The finned heat sinks go on the pipes first, then install the pipes in the exhaust port of the head (all of the way).

Do some pre-measuring and pre-fitting to make it all come out correct. If the pipes are too loose in the head, get the ends expanded ever so slightly at a muffler shop, otherwise there will be leaks and black soot around them at the head.

With all of the mounts, at the bottom of the frame, and at the front tying both sides together (or with the balance tube - later years), there is no need for drilling the head and adding springs if they are snug in the head.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
#502341 - 08/18/13 9:28 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Gary E]  
Patch Offline
BritBike Forum member
Patch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Alberta
I dont even have the finned clamps, i guess ill order up a set. The pipes are aftermarket, they are bare except for a little wire loop on the top of each one assumably for a spring i guess

#502352 - 08/18/13 10:43 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
Dave T Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave T  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fergus, Ontario, Canada
Is the balance pipe necessary on the Lightning? I have seen some after market pipes that do not have the balance pipe and wondered about fitting a set to replace the manky set I have on there at the moment

#502354 - 08/18/13 10:52 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Dave T]  
Patch Offline
BritBike Forum member
Patch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Alberta
i hope its not necessary cause i dont have one of those either

#502356 - 08/18/13 10:54 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Dave T]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Different people have had different results....

RE; the aftermarket pipes with a wire loop;
I'd check how close to the port the loop is, you may NOT have room for the finned clamps? Test fit time....

Some folks have complained about how finicky the balance pipes are to fit.... Correctly...

Early Lightnings don't have the balance pipe...

Patch,
Is there a lower mounting tab even??? Are these pipes truly 'bare', other than the loop?

Last edited by Rickman; 08/18/13 10:55 pm.
#502357 - 08/18/13 10:56 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
Roger Gulledge Offline
BritBike Forum member
Roger Gulledge  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Oahu Hawaii USA
I too have wondered about this.

I have been wanting to put simiese pipes (2 into 1) on my A65 for a while now but can only find them in 1 1/2"

The problem being somewhere along the line 1 3/4" pipes were put on the bike. this how they did it.

If I am not mistaken this is the setup that Triumph used,

My question being, is there a way to go back to 1 1/2", can the ports be filled with some sort of weld and machined back to 1 1/2"?

Have been looking at maybe getting a used head.

Thanks

Roger G
70 Thunderbolt
#502365 - 08/18/13 11:36 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Roger Gulledge]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Roger,
I believe some turnips had pipes with swage open ended pipes? The end fit over those steel sleeves, but quickly returned to 1-1/2" diameter? I think I have an old set, that somehow came into my collection of unusable parts... Even still have the finned clamps on 'em...

Maybe you might try to see if'n a set of turnip siamese pipes might be made to fit???

Another thought: maybe try to contact one of the pipe makers { NOT ARMOURS!!! }, and see if'n they might tackle a one-off set, with a swage ended set of head pipes, to fit your sleaves? Fekked? Overlanders? Anyone else???

Maybe remove those turnip inserts, after marking where they actually start coming out of the port, then having a machinist make a set of inserts to fit 1-1/2" pipes?

Or, yeah, find another head, or have yours welded back closed and re-machined to shape... Make certain SURE all the carbon is removed from the port first... Aluminum doesn't like ANYTHING foreign polluting a weld...

Last edited by Rickman; 08/18/13 11:43 pm.
#502366 - 08/18/13 11:47 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
DMadigan Online content
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
Triples use those spickots with 1-1/2" pipes at the head (neck down to 1-3/8" afterward). 1-3/4" pipes are too big. Popular with the "TT" look alike crowd. What is the diameter of the spickots in your head? I make these for the triple (1-1/2" pipes):

The short tapered piece is welded to the pipe. The spin ring pulls/pushes the pipe on/off the head so you do not bend the pipes with a mallet. Stainless/7075 aluminum construction.

#502372 - 08/19/13 12:06 am Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Patch
I dont even have the finned clamps...

They are not clamps. They do not clamp anything, especially the pipes. The bolt thru them is only to hold them on the pipe. They are heat sinks, as that is what the fins are for. BSA calls them collars.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
#502382 - 08/19/13 12:34 am Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Patch
I recently picked up a basket case a65 lightning and im slowing getting it all back together. Its my first brit bike. So i have some new exhaust head pipes to put on but i dont see how they mount to the head on this bike. Theres no studs or even holes for springs or anything...what am i missing here? I tried searching but havent come up with anything

You HAVE to triangulate the pipes on an A65 in order for them to stay in the head and not wallow out the exhaust ports. Since the pipes just slide into the head, a simple mounting point down the pipe somewhere will NOT keep the pipe in the head long term.

ALL A65s have one of the following:

1) A connector pipe between the headers that serves to triangulate them. This is also a mid-range performance improver with the right slide-and-needle combo. It's a bit of a pain to assemble since it tends to rust pretty quit and get hard to take apart.
OR
2) A flat or round tie bar connecting the headers near the head.
OR
3) High pipes that connect to each other and to the motor mounts via a tie-bar and a lug on one header, or Siamesed headers that connect to each other near the head.

If you don't have one of these, you will be weld-repairing the exhaust port after some number of miles, after noticing popping and rattling in the exhaust due to a head leak. Of course, if the bike isn't going to be ridden much in its lifetime, this part doesn't matter a lot.

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#502389 - 08/19/13 12:47 am Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
BSAGuy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAGuy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bastrop, Texas, USA
You got it. Just for cooling.

Tim

#502390 - 08/19/13 12:48 am Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Gary E]  
BSAGuy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAGuy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bastrop, Texas, USA
Oooops! Had the order bassackwards. Apologies.

Tim

#502827 - 08/21/13 11:48 pm Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Patch]  
Roger Gulledge Offline
BritBike Forum member
Roger Gulledge  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Oahu Hawaii USA
Thanks for all the info guys. I just picked up a set of pipes on eBay. 2 into 1 They look to be in good shape but you never know.

The three at the top of the page are repops and all seem to have some sort of a round tab close to the end of the pipe where they go into the head. Is this for a bracket to tie the two pipes together? The set I got does not have them. Can someone tell me if the factory originals had the round tabs?

You have given me a few ideas, will post back and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks

Last edited by Roger Gulledge; 08/21/13 11:49 pm.

Roger G
70 Thunderbolt
#502862 - 08/22/13 3:43 am Re: A65 Exhaust mounting [Re: Roger Gulledge]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
I believe those "round tabs" are actually tubes that a rod goes through, and yes, the rod ties the two sides together.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.316s Queries: 15 (0.022s) Memory: 0.9289 MB (Peak: 1.2032 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 02:15:47 UTC