BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
desertrat
desertrat
Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (750Bonny), 1,834 guests, and 546 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,895 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,124
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#502213 - 08/17/13 11:42 pm Baffle Plates -- what are they?  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Around 1990 I bought a 1974 Trident that required me to do a fair bit of work to some of the cycle parts plus rebuild the top end. At that time I made a number of special tools of my own and bought just about the entire set of factory service tools from someone in town.

I never had to open up the bottom end so two pieces of plastic in the set I bought that a BSA manual calls 60-2211 and -2212, "Crankcase baffle plate (front)" and "...(rear)" have been sitting unused at the bottom of the 'Trident' drawer in my toolbox ever since. When looking for something else this afternoon I came across them, which reminded me that I have no idea what they are used for. What are they used for?

Attached Files TridentBafflePlates.jpg
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#502235 - 08/18/13 3:49 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
robcurrie Online content
BritBike Forum member
robcurrie  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Irene, South Africa

#502239 - 08/18/13 4:04 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: robcurrie]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: robcurrie
This has been discussed before here:
Thanks for pointing this out. My search for "baffle plate" didn't turn that up.
Originally Posted By: DMadigan
Use crankcase baffles 60-2211 and 60-2212 to hold the outer piston skirts at the case mouth.
Although they might work for this (although, aren't they really too weak to support the pistons against the force of the cylinders?), I'm still unclear on why they are called "baffle plates" instead of, say, "piston support plates."

#502264 - 08/18/13 9:48 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
They are called baffle plates because they knew that 40 years later they would have people baffled over what they were. wink

#502267 - 08/18/13 12:07 pm Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

You Learn Something New Every Day; 36 years with at least one triple and I never knew there were special tools for keeping the pistons up when you put the block on. I suspect BSA were beginning to catch on to the Japanese habit of 'What Can We Make From The Scrap Bin And Get The Punters To Pay A Fortune For?'. clap laughing

And, unlike my preferred bits of wood, they don't even hold the pistons 'stepped' ... shocked

Regards,

#502362 - 08/18/13 11:19 pm Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
DMadigan Online content
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ca, us
From the factory manual:

#502368 - 08/18/13 11:55 pm Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: DMadigan]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: DMadigan
From the factory manual:
Aha! Again, a picture is worth 1000 words. Thank you very much. But, what manual is that picture from? I don't remember having seen it in my Trident shop manual.

Two more questions: 1) do they really make installing the cylinders easier than using blocks of wood? It's been 20 years since I did this on my Trident and either it wasn't that hard with blocks of wood, or it was so painful that I've blotted the details out of my memory (or, there just isn't much memory left...)

And 2), why would they be called "baffle plates" / "crankcase baffles"? Seriously, none of the dictionary definitions of 'baffle' account for the name of these pieces of plastic ("confuse," "create bewilderment," "frustrate," "deflect sound" ...). Is it because they deflect dropped wrist pin retaining clips from landing in the bottom of the crankcase? Of course, I'm using an American dictionary -- do English dictionaries have something that makes sense of this?

#502380 - 08/19/13 12:30 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
When the center "piston ring slipper" comes off the piston it can be lost in the bottom end. It is a nuisance to retrieve. The "Baffle" deflects the piston ring slipper from falling into the depths of the crankcase. A confounded nuisance.

It also supports the two outer pistons and prevents them from getting damaged by the adjacent cylinder studs as you juggle the center piston into the cylinder. My memory isn't clear, but I don't think these were offered by TriCor on the East Coast.

#502394 - 08/19/13 1:04 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: John Healy]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: John Healy
The "Baffle" deflects the piston ring slipper from falling into the depths of the crankcase.
So, it really is a baffle:

baff.le -v.t. ...6) an artificial obstruction for checking or deflecting the flow of sounds, light, gasses, etc.

Where by "etc." I can now see the dictionary meant "nuts, bolts, rings, ..."

#502422 - 08/19/13 5:12 am Re: Baffle Plates -- what are they? [Re: Magnetoman]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
Originally Posted By: John Healy
The "Baffle" deflects the piston ring slipper from falling into the depths of the crankcase.
So, it really is a baffle:

baff.le -v.t. ...6) an artificial obstruction for checking or deflecting the flow of sounds, light, gasses, etc.

Where by "etc." I can now see the dictionary meant "nuts, bolts, rings, ..."

Thanks, Dave and John ... I've always stuffed the open crankcase with rags or paper towels to catch anything that drops off, and stop the rods and pistons banging against crankcase parts. Thus far, since my first 'block off' rebuild - when I'd bolted the block back on and suddenly remembered, "Tch, ..." (or words to that effect), "... I've forgotten to take the insulating tape off the rods" ... - I haven't forgotten to remove everything unnecessary from the crankcase ... whistle

Regards,

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.542s Queries: 16 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8627 MB (Peak: 1.0589 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 02:31:31 UTC