BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
pittss1s
pittss1s
hamilton, va
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,659 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
438,526 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,414
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#501377 - 08/12/13 10:22 am Newbie Question  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
I am hoping for some information or direction. I have not ridden since the mid 70's and then, mostly Japanese bikes both off road and on.

Now in my mid 60's I am thinking of getting back on.....I have always been a fan of the classic Norton, BSA or Triumph. I have always loved the look...some Moto Guzzi as well I suppose. The difficulty is that I know absolutely nothing about them, other than they leak oil and parts availability may be a problem. It may be that one manufacturer is preferable....

Ideally, I'd like to find a bike that requires some work (winter project), but as previously noted...nothing too technically challenging. My goal is to ride occasionally, not very long distances and during pleasant weather. Any advice would be great.

This may well be a pipe dream, but if you don't ask...you will never know. Thanks in advance...

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#501378 - 08/12/13 10:54 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Quote:
other than they leak oil and parts availability may be a problem.

They leak oil mainly due to DPO's (Dumb Previous Owners) bodgery, with a bit or work including using modern sealants and ensuring flat surfaces plus breathing mods they can be made oil tight. Spares availability can be very good as long as you pick the right models, Norton Commando's and Triumph 650 Unit twins have virtually all parts available with some significant upgrades about too.

#501380 - 08/12/13 11:12 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
what do you call not very long distances?

The best bikes for putting a grin on your face are always the small bikes, like a tiger cub, bantam, C15 to name a couple. All ideal for short distances and perfectly matched for that size of bike. A bike of this size is also a good intro to brit bikes, not overly expensive to buy or restore and not too much work or parts required to do them up. They might not be breaking any speed limits either, but any of the mentioned bikes can easily do 50mph all day long.

(or if you want a bit more fun... Ariel Arrow, great little bike)

beerchug
#501382 - 08/12/13 11:21 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Allenz, welcome to the forum. Information aplenty here so you've come to the right place.
The learning doesn't seem to end with these bikes and that is a good thing. As a fresh recruit your learning curve is apt to be steep but fun if you like to tinker.
There is an excellant supply of spare parts for late sixties Triumph motorcycles, offered by the sponsors of this board, their ads are along the columns here.
Naturally, the price of British iron is driven by condition, and scarcity/rarity as is any antique.

Many of these machines were purpose built, where you will ride may be something to think about. Good luck, HTH beerchug Dave

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#501384 - 08/12/13 11:57 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Wow, thanks for the thoughtful replies! Not riding for like (gulp) several decades, I actually don't know how far I would ride, but given a bad back, I suspect not hundreds of miles certainly...perhaps an hour or two? Small bike sounds about right, though it's tough when you don't know what you don't know. : )

Anyhow, where do you suggest I start? What brand (Triumph?), kind, model, price range, etc, etc?

Thanks,

#501386 - 08/12/13 12:26 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
BSA Nut Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA Nut  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Missouri
Stick with the big three: Triumph, Norton, BSA. If you stay in the mid-late 60's, parts will not be a problem. Find a model you like, something visually appealing to you. They are very similar on the inside, and they share about the same technology. Be prepared to get a manual before you tinker...and most of all: Enjoy your machine, what ever it may be.
This forum has a wealth of information, and will no doubt aid you on your way to cycling bliss. wink

As far as price---buy the best bike you can afford. If you go out on the cheap,chances are you will spend more in the long run. Find the most 'complete' machine that you can, perhaps one that only needs cosmetic attention, or minor repairs. Find a numbers matching running machine, as opposed to a rolling frame with engine parts piled into milk crates. (That's my current build. It equals much frustration and much money, even to an experienced builder.)

Brit bikes have increased in price, along with everything else...but they are still way cheaper than other 'American' brands. $4,500 + will get you a very nice machine, and that to me is cheap fun.

Be prepared to tinker, you may find in itself, becomes part of the enjoyment.

Good Luck.

#501388 - 08/12/13 12:36 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Originally Posted By: Allenz
Wow, thanks for the thoughtful replies! Not riding for like (gulp) several decades,

Anyhow, where do you suggest I start?

Allenz, taking a safety course is more than just a good idea...many states offer excellent programs. Here in Pennsylvania there's no charge and a motorcycle is provided. Dave

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#501435 - 08/12/13 9:08 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Thanks for the great replies.....I absolutely will take a refresher course! MA has then all over....great suggestion.

I kind of figured the big three, and your budget estimate will help. I would love to try and narrow the field so to speak, and not really knowing any of the various models and advantages/disadvantages of each model year, can you make any specific recommendations....and tinkering is something to look forward to. : )

#501446 - 08/12/13 10:09 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
can you make any specific recommendations...

Allenz, vintage bikes can be seen and ridden at Brit rallies that are held across the country. Vintage bikes are for sale at these rallies and bargains are not unheard of!
First, read, read, read ... caveat emptor, buyer beware!

There are some excellent buyers guides in print... might Google for those. HTH bigt Dave

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#501452 - 08/12/13 10:43 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Dave M]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
Playing the Devil here:

There is a big difference between riding and fettling (working on a bike). If you want to ride around in the country side for an hour or so every week or two (and just jump on the bike and not do anything but ride)then I'm sorry .....buy a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. They will be cheaper to buy, you probably won't have to put a wrench on them and will be much easier to take your MC drivers test on. Parts are available in your home town if you do need anything - and someone to fix it if you want.

If you are looking for a great hobby that you can have many many hours of fun/frustration/joy/discovery and meet the greatest folks in the world then buy a British bike.

You are always welcome here no matter which route you choose.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#501458 - 08/12/13 11:17 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Dave M]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Originally Posted By: Dave M
Wow, thanks for the thoughtful replies! Not riding for like (gulp) several decades,

Allenz, taking a safety course is more than just a good idea...many states offer excellent programs. Here in Pennsylvania a motorcycle is provided and the charge is very reasonable. Dave

Here in Ohio if you take the riders safety course you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement. Other states may be the same.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#501460 - 08/12/13 11:46 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: shel]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Originally Posted By: shel
Originally Posted By: Dave M

Allenz, taking a safety course is more than just a good idea...many states offer excellent programs. Here in Pennsylvania a motorcycle is provided and the charge is very reasonable. Dave

Here in Ohio if you take the riders safety course you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement. Other states may be the same.

I obtained my motorcycle drivers license in the early 70's and it is still valid. That being said, I would rather (as suggested) take a refresher course where they provide bikes...

: )

#501461 - 08/12/13 11:48 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Alan_nc]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Originally Posted By: Alan_nc
Playing the Devil here:

There is a big difference between riding and fettling (working on a bike). If you want to ride around in the country side for an hour or so every week or two (and just jump on the bike and not do anything but ride)then I'm sorry .....buy a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. They will be cheaper to buy, you probably won't have to put a wrench on them and will be much easier to take your MC drivers test on. Parts are available in your home town if you do need anything - and someone to fix it if you want.

If you are looking for a great hobby that you can have many many hours of fun/frustration/joy/discovery and meet the greatest folks in the world then buy a British bike.

You are always welcome here no matter which route you choose.

Alan,

Thanks for the reply.....I do understand and like I noted in a previous post, I am looking forward to the tinkering as much as the riding. Just looking for a place to start....

#501463 - 08/12/13 11:50 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Dave M]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Perhaps I was misunderstood...What I was trying to convey was that are they any specific years, models, etc to either stay away from or to seek out....if that is an appropriate question.

Thanks

#501467 - 08/13/13 12:16 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
triumph bonneys are great, t100's might be a better choice and less money.

Nortons are the best riders when properly set up, great for traveling or tearing up the twisties.

Generally speaking, BSA's will run 500 to 1000 dollars less than a comparable triumph, each brand has it's loyal followers, I have all three.

So for your first brit, I suggest, (and it's only an opinion) would be to look for a t100 (500cc's), or a '73 to 79 t140 triumph, or a '71 650 bsa.

reason being, triumph and bsa changed the frame in 71, and nobody liked the new styling so these bikes can be had at a good price. the bsa still handles good, and the t140's and a65 motors of that year might be better than the early ones.

Allen mentioned the smaller bikes such as the cub, but while they would be a good choice where he lives, they are no more than toys over here.

maybe MikeG stills has a '71 t120 for sale up in your part of the country.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#501483 - 08/13/13 1:31 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Try a visit to the Brit Jam rally in CT this coming Sunday (18th).
Soak up the atmosphere, look at the bikes, talk to the guys---everybody is friendly if you explain where you are coming from and what you want to do.
Then after Sunday you will want to buy a Brit bike and no Japanese bike will be good enough!
HTH

#501486 - 08/13/13 1:51 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Tridentman]  
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
JBMorris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farmington,Connecticut,USA
Originally Posted By: Tridentman
Try a visit to the Brit Jam rally in CT this coming Sunday (18th).
Soak up the atmosphere, look at the bikes, talk to the guys---everybody is friendly if you explain where you are coming from and what you want to do.
Then after Sunday you will want to buy a Brit bike and no Japanese bike will be good enough!
HTH

Richard- AKA -Tridentman,

Have you attended this venue before and will you be there again as I would like to meet you if so. . .

I am almost 60 yrs.old but may look younger due to a full head of blond curly hair and am skinny as in 150# soaking wet. . .

Ha-ha- no I'm not kidding!

I will wear a white shirt -- if you're not coming up - please disregard this!

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
#501491 - 08/13/13 2:19 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Well, if you both are going to be there I will truly try to get there.....kind of a ride from Plymouth, MA.

Please look for a 150# soaking wet, grey bearded guy with a serious case of British motorcycles.

#501492 - 08/13/13 2:29 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
JBMorris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farmington,Connecticut,USA
Well, if you both are going to be there I will truly try to get there.....kind of a ride from Plymouth, MA.

Please look for a 150# soaking wet, grey bearded guy with a serious case of British motorcycles.

Allenz
Its a really nice part of Connecticut so it will be worth the ride.
Last year there was an extremely pristine T140D chained up to a telephone pole along the way-- so watch out!

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
#501500 - 08/13/13 3:18 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Probably will be there--trying to arrange things so that I drop my wife off at one of her friends who lives locally in CT.
One advantage of women talking for hours--they can get on with it and that leaves me to my own devices (at Brit Jam)!
Will know for sure later this week.
If so look out for a tall thin guy nearer to 70 than 60, about 200 lbs with glasses and a full beard. Wish I could say it is blond but honesty makes me confess that it is pure grey!
But--seriously, Allenz, going there and soaking up the atmosphere is a much better way of finding out whether you like the "Brit Bike Scene" or not than just exchanging posts on this sort of thread.
HTH

#501534 - 08/13/13 10:58 am Re: Newbie Question [Re: Tridentman]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
Probably will be there--trying to arrange things so that I drop my wife off at one of her friends who lives locally in CT.
One advantage of women talking for hours--they can get on with it and that leaves me to my own devices (at Brit Jam)!
Will know for sure later this week.
If so look out for a tall thin guy nearer to 70 than 60, about 200 lbs with glasses and a full beard. Wish I could say it is blond but honesty makes me confess that it is pure grey!
But--seriously, Allenz, going there and soaking up the atmosphere is a much better way of finding out whether you like the "Brit Bike Scene" or not than just exchanging posts on this sort of thread.
HTH

Will do....and FWIW, I noticed your in NJ. Turns out I will be in the Cranbury area for the next few days; are there any shops in that area that would be worth visiting?

#501543 - 08/13/13 1:15 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Allenz-What part of Mass you in?? Gate City Cycle in Nashua NH is a pretty good place to start your search. Dude Wheeler has some decent bikes for sale and pretty much anything you could ever want for parts. I sold my 71 Bonnie thru him this past spring. If you decide to go send me a PM on the board here and I'll see if I can't meet you there.
MIke G

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#501549 - 08/13/13 3:01 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
If you are in Cranbury probably nearest place of interest is:
Classic Cycles Ltd
1021 Route 519 Baptistown NJ 08803
Tel 908-996-5337
About an hour from Cranbury.
Someone suggested a Triumph 500 as a good bike for you in your situation. I think that is a great idea as they are cheaper than the more glamorous 650 Bonnevilles but a great bike--can cruise at 70 and really good through the twisties.
Incidentally there is one advertised in MA on Craigslist--1971 Triumph Trophy for $2800 in Northampton, MA as per
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/3981173113.html
HTH

#501579 - 08/13/13 7:59 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Tridentman]  
Allenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Allenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MA
If you are in Cranbury probably nearest place of interest is:
Classic Cycles Ltd
1021 Route 519 Baptistown NJ 08803
Tel 908-996-5337
About an hour from Cranbury.
Someone suggested a Triumph 500 as a good bike for you in your situation. I think that is a great idea as they are cheaper than the more glamorous 650 Bonnevilles but a great bike--can cruise at 70 and really good through the twisties.
Incidentally there is one advertised in MA on Craigslist--1971 Triumph Trophy for $2800 in Northampton, MA as per
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/3981173113.html
HTH

Just arrived in NJ.... Anyway, an hour away to the bike shop - hmmmm. So here are my thoughts regarding visiting a bike shop cold, as well as with the link you generously posted - the problem is that I have no idea what I am looking at...whether it is a good bike, or what kind of work it will need, the kind of bike that is appropriate for me, good value, etc, etc. I guess I thought attending the show Sunday will provide some of the answers....am I off base here?

#501582 - 08/13/13 8:12 pm Re: Newbie Question [Re: Allenz]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
Allen, just look and ask questions. leave your wallet in the car for now.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.913s Queries: 16 (0.107s) Memory: 1.0020 MB (Peak: 1.3639 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 03:53:27 UTC