BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
pittss1s
pittss1s
hamilton, va
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 177 guests, and 353 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 72
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
746,785 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,808
Posts670,219
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration #494942
06/21/13 6:33 pm
06/21/13 6:33 pm
London - England
K
Kelvin_J Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kelvin_J  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
K

London - England
I have introduced myself on the General forum, but the basic story is that I have been into cars for many years and also competed in various cars in Speed events, but up till now (I am 53 yrs old) I have never owned or ridden a bike.

So about a year ago, I decided to start with a small restoration project and then learn to ride, as my ambition is to get a Triumph T100 or maybe a T120, which needs some work, and then I will take a test to ride the bigger bike, probably next spring.

So here are a few pictures to show what I have done so far. The original colour of the bike was grey, but the D3 also came in black, which I think looks very good, so I decided to get new chromed (actually they are polished steel) wheels, and go with the black scheme.

[Linked Image]

Here are some of the parts ready to go for powder-coat and paint.
[Linked Image]

I didn't run the motor when I first got the bike. I have never done a bike engine before and I didn't want to do a full rebuild unless it was necessary. This is the engine before anything was done to it. All I did was a rebore, new pistons, rings etc. and new clutch plates + springs. I took the AMAL carb to pieces and cleaned it well, and the engine seems to run OK, although it has not yet been tried properly on the road.

[Linked Image]

The wiring was a bit of a mess, and the bike had an MOT certificate that only allowed for daylight riding (front lights were not working) I am wiring it so that the rear brake light works, and I have replaced the headlight unit, but I have not yet wired that up. I did consider changing it to 12v but I am not sure about that yet.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here you can see the bike is almost done. I have to put the number plates on, and the battery, but it is almost ready to ride on the road (after I take the 1-day course next month) My speedo was in bad shape, and it has no internals !! They are difficult to find and expensive, so for the time being I will refurbish the one I have while I look for a functioning one.
[Linked Image]

1955 BSA Bantam D3
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: Kelvin_J] #494944
06/21/13 6:55 pm
06/21/13 6:55 pm
Arroyo Grande, California, USA
AG Bill Offline
BritBike Forum member
AG Bill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Very nicely done! I agree that it looks great in black rather than grey...

Bill K

63 BSA Goldstar Catalina Scrambler
70 BSA Victor Special
67 Lotus Elan Coupe
30 Ford Model A Sport Coupe
67 Turbo Offenhauser Indy Car Display Engine
Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: AG Bill] #494946
06/21/13 7:31 pm
06/21/13 7:31 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Nice bike!
I believe they also came in a pea soup green??? With white sides on the fuel tank???

The only thing I MIGHT mention, being these were 2-smoke, be aware there are crank seals.

How long since they were replaced?
How good the originals were?
On the dry side, if there is one on these engines [ magneto/generator? ], has the seal dried up yet? [ heat cycles, and length of time used in working condition... ]

I am NOT saying the seals are gone, but if you are only aware of 4-stroke engines { and your post says nothing about 2-smoke awareness ], I'm trying to say the seals can throw you for loops, if the engine stops working, and you have air/fuel/spark, yet the engine won't run, and the timing 'mark' is set dead on...

Enjoy the bike! You should have many people looking, as I never see any of these running around here.
Brett

Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: Kelvin_J] #494994
06/22/13 8:38 am
06/22/13 8:38 am
London - England
K
Kelvin_J Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kelvin_J  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
K

London - England
Brett - thanks for your reply and your input. Yes, the D1 Bantam came in the colour they called "Mist Green". I don't know how long since the seals were last replaced, and having never worked on a 2-stroke motor before, the idea of splitting the crankcase sounded like a major job, so I thought I would do just the rebore, piston, rings and clutch and see if it ran OK. At the moment, it is starting and revving cleanly. If I find that it fails, then I will remove it and strip it right down - I will have to start to learn sometime !

1955 BSA Bantam D3
Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: Kelvin_J] #495865
06/29/13 1:53 pm
06/29/13 1:53 pm
Western NY
P
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

Western NY
Symptoms of leaking seals-
Magneto side can leak air so the bike will run lean. Too lean and it will seize.
Clutch side can leak oil. Smoky, fouls plugs with the correct oil/fuel mixture.

Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: Pete Suchawreck] #495873
06/29/13 3:28 pm
06/29/13 3:28 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Pete,
Don't forget that if the 'magneto' side seal starts to leak, sometimes the evidence can be an oily residue, or a damp or wet looking spread away from the seal, from the oil in the pre-mix.
I have seen that, many years ago...

Kelvin,
Dismantling a 2-smoker is so much easier than a 4-stroke, as there are no cam components to worry about; no cams to time, no cam chains to fish about, if the cams[s] are over head, no push rods, lifters, rockers to align the rods to, no lash needed to be checked, cam to rocker, or rocker to valve stem.

You just need to be sure all the items outside of the center cases are properly unfastened, so that when you crack the cases open, nothing tries to come out of the center case cavity, that you didn't want to come away.
Everything should stay within one case half.
Then, with care, you can remove the crank, then proceed with the seals, however they are inserted into each case half.

Once I got away from my childhood home, making enough of my own funds, almost every new-to-me 2-smoker got taken apart, inspected, and at least got new seals, if I had no idea about the engine's maintenance history.
Brett

Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: Kelvin_J] #500082
08/01/13 4:51 pm
08/01/13 4:51 pm
staffs uk
S
snooper Offline
BritBike Forum member
snooper  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

staffs uk
the endcap on your silencer is upside down.largest fin goes on top.

Re: 1955 BSA Bantam D3 restoration [Re: snooper] #500850
08/08/13 1:46 pm
08/08/13 1:46 pm
London - England
K
Kelvin_J Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kelvin_J  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
K

London - England
Originally Posted by snooper
the endcap on your silencer is upside down.largest fin goes on top.

Someone else pointed that out to me on the Bantam forum... I changed it, but that was an old photo... thanks smile

1955 BSA Bantam D3

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership