BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

Featured Member
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
46 registered (L.A.B., David Cass1, JBMorris, Pete R, Jeff K., Hillbilly bike, jhays79, m20geoff, Peter R, snowbeard, Max, bodine031, geordie, Ger, conhawks, BeezaBryan, LarryLebel, Triless, Redmoggy, DBDBrian, paulberry, jim.c, Keith, chris b1, gavin eisler, '59 Bonnie, Morgan, kommando, Jon W. Whitley, TRIBSAUK, John Goodwin, Lennart, robcurrie, ATEN, Steve Erickson, RobKen, johnhannah, Stein Roger, Allan Gill, marinatlas, keith bradley, NickL, triton thrasher, Two Alpha, Old Cafe Racer, Stuart), 351 Guests and 127 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RobKen, YDG5700, Ned21, Old Beezer, Dave H
8000 Registered Users
Forum Stats
8000 Members
33 Forums
53128 Topics
492927 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10029
John Healy 8636
Lannis 8291
Alex 7546
ricochetrider 7288
JubeePrince 6100
Stuart 6042
kommando 5721
Jon W. Whitley 4967
Kent Shaun 4694
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#496658 - 07/05/13 8:02 pm Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review
Richard Phillips Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Finally got around mounting my steel Indian tank to my Hornet. Here is what I found.
1. It is a reasonable replica and $180 plus shipping worth the money.
2. It arrived with lots of surface rust and coated in some sort of grease/moleen I cleaned it up and did some sanding and acid etching, so the tank looks pretty good.
3. The inside was also a bit nasty, here again some phosphorus acid did a nice job of cleaning it out, followed by backing soda.
4. Fuel tap threads are for the Triumph style petcocks not the Hornet or the Spitfire type. Had to use the lever style ( bought the best ones made in England )
5. The center bung is not located properly forcing the mounting forward very close to the frame. Yes it will fit, but leaves large gap between the seat and tank. To over come this I made a small bracket with two holes, one to mount to the standard frame mount and another for the tank bolt. It needed to be 1/2 inch to rear for the tank to sit nicely. The front bracket will not fit at this point so I had to fab up another with mount holes for the tank stand offs also about 1/2 to the rear.
6. The fuel filler area has a brazed lump on each side that needs to be smoothed out. and the front tab for the cap needed a bit of grinding.

Seems to me they could have gotten it right and maybe they have changed the latest ones. Regardless I now have a steel tank for my Hornet. Albeit with a a number of hours figuring out how to mount it and clean it up.

I took pictures of the issues and mods will put them up shortly

Richard

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#496687 - 07/05/13 10:58 pm Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Richard Phillips]
Jon W. Whitley Online   content

Loc: Vermont
I look forward to seeing your pics as well Richard. I am considering one as well.

Please don't hold back on identifying the maker/seller of this tank. I for one, want to know who it is and I think it would be best for all to know who it is.

It is not bashing them but providing feedback to a company who has the motivation and expertise to take on this endeavor and hopefully a company that provided with honest feedback will be a company who wants to improve their product and increase their sales.

We need all of the manufacturers of these classic parts that we can get and of course ones who produce a quality product worthy of the price, etc. etc..

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#496713 - 07/06/13 4:24 am Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Richard Phillips]
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Santa Barbara, California
I wonder if the Aluminum ones I see they offer now are made any better for fit and finish.

#500562 - 08/05/13 5:04 pm Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Jon W. Whitley]
Richard Phillips Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Jon,
I posted some photos on the Hornet Spitfire thread. I will try to forward it to y ou.

#500779 - 08/08/13 12:25 am Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Richard Phillips]
Jon W. Whitley Online   content

Loc: Vermont
That would be great, thanks.In the meantime, I'll try and find them in that thread.

Originally Posted By: Richard Phillips
Jon,
I posted some photos on the Hornet Spitfire thread. I will try to forward it to y ou.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#500818 - 08/08/13 9:27 am Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Richard Phillips]
AngloBike Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: UK Berks
I watched a TV show here in the UK and they restored a 71(?) T120 using an Indian tank but spent a day with a die grinder getting it to fit.

Given UK rates of pay v indian, it wouldn't cost that much to do it right in the first place.

I know that T140 tanks are being remade in Birmingham, by the original manufacturer. The problem may be that the cheap Indian tanks reduce the market for the correctly (but more expensive) uk ones

#500946 - 08/09/13 1:49 am Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: Richard Phillips]
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Santa Barbara, California
Very interesting,.... are they making anything besides the T140 tanks?
I always wondered where all the tooling and experience went. Obviously, the experience is going fast, but the manufacturing process must have been stashed somewhere.......

#501682 - 08/14/13 10:19 am Re: Indian Hornet Spitfire Tank Review [Re: KC in S.B.]
oldcrow Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Wilmigton, Delaware USA
1. Does anybody know how to contact the manufacturer building T140 tanks in UK?
2. How many people would be interested in a new T120 tank?

Maybe should take this to the Triumph forum.

Moderator:  Mike Carter 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*