BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Hoosier Daddy
Hoosier Daddy
Kendallville, IN - USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,779 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,291 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,272
Posts632,167
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#444726 - 07/15/12 7:02 am Re: 'Mr Ted' pre unit swap meet build [Re: Trevor Stapp]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Im of a similar opinion, i'm going for the well worn original look. Basicaly, now it been made all pretty i am trying to wear it out!

Sounds like Ted has some work to do. Be good to see you at Kaipoi, the Canterbury boys are a good bunch. If your at McLeans keep an eye open for the old Trophy.

Rod

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#445038 - 07/17/12 6:36 am Re: 'Mr Ted' pre unit swap meet build [Re: Trevor Stapp]  
Trevor Stapp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trevor Stapp  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Will Do Rod,

Will be in CHCH Thursday PM and out Sunday avo.
Very definitly at McLeans on Friday, not sure about Sat but probably not.
Give me a bell, zero two one seven o seven three o eight.

Cheers,
Trev

66T100SR Cafe racer
59 T20 Cub
1938 - 53 5T Bitsa project, now a roller
Duplex frame under the bench
#488818 - 05/05/13 4:23 am Re: 'Mr Ted' pre unit swap meet build [Re: Trevor Stapp]  
Trevor Stapp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trevor Stapp  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Well over due for an update.
Have now done in excess of 10,000k and for the most part trouble free or with the one exception all able to be sorted on the side of the road.
The one exception was when the keyway on the alternator rotor broke, rotor sliped and then jamed and started a minute ocilation, all meant every turn the rotor hit the staor as as you all know once that happens it all turns to sh it preety quick.
Reading a Brit vintage mag couple of months ago and spied a photo of some obscure European classic war motorcycle taken at a French rally.
Had a 2 gallon (thats Imerial gallon) petrol can mounted on the front forks.
Got me to thinking with the result..............

1943 British Army amo pouch with the flap lid cut off.
Double buckle French Army officers leather belt.
Brit army webing to tie the top in
Post war Castrol Wakefield 1 quart oil bottle

Have filled it with Castrol 20W/50 Dinasour juice, stragely, well maybe not so strange as this old bugger is a bunch of miss matched parts all cobled together, the xtra weight tends to steady the front end a bit.

Last edited by Trevor Stapp; 05/05/13 4:27 am.

66T100SR Cafe racer
59 T20 Cub
#488832 - 05/05/13 10:12 am Re: 'Mr Ted' pre unit swap meet build [Re: Trevor Stapp]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Has to be said that getting rotor to stator clearance right is tricky on early Triumphs and lack of clearance could loosen the rotor and break the key

If what you think happened is what really happened, there must have been a failure of the nut, washer, whatever, to clamp the rotor, for some reason. It would be good to find the reason. Otherwise it will probably happen again. Sounds like the nut might have been tightening up against something other than the rotor.

I reckon hanging stuff on the unsprung, steering part of the suspension has disadvantages. A Speed Twin is fast enough to get into a speed wobble and kill you.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#488943 - 05/06/13 7:05 am Re: 'Mr Ted' pre unit swap meet build [Re: triton thrasher]  
Trevor Stapp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trevor Stapp  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Triton,

As you say these early alternator motors with the Stator mounted on the outer primary case are a real sh it to set up.
Few things happened here to lead to the key breaking.
Clearance, although OK when I put it together at 3thou on one side and 8 on the other with the locator dowel missing from the outer case it was a gamble.
Also looking at the innerface of the mainshaft sproket it was not bedded correct.
When the stator and rotor came together it off course generated heat and eventualy all the resin, oil etc heated up.
This coloured all exposed metal faces hence I know there was a face problem between the sproket and mainshaft oil seal. End float would have done the rest.
Have made up a dowl and turned down the rotor so I have about 11 thou clearance all round.
Handling is suprisngly good with the oil bottle.
Gave this a lot of thought before I put it together and figured that if most military models could ride around with a 20ld gun sitting in a leather sheaf strapped to the front forks I should be ok with 2ld of oil.

Cheers,
trev

66T100SR Cafe racer
59 T20 Cub
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.066s Queries: 16 (0.020s) Memory: 0.8293 MB (Peak: 0.9816 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 13:52:17 UTC