BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Keane Lucas
Keane Lucas
New Jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (998John), 274 guests, and 406 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah, Mal Wood, FireGuyKC, spuggy
10288 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 94
Lannis 65
Mori55 60
Popular Topics(Views)
636,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,365
Posts654,057
Members10,288
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: rick e.] #479455
03/02/13 11:12 pm
03/02/13 11:12 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted By: rick e.
Perhaps its the word "restored" that is brash to me....didn't the factory dyno each engine and road tested each new bike? ...Are there better builders than the BSA factory that don't need to complete that step in order to be restored?
All the power from an engine is made in the head, and the reason BSA had to dyno each engine was that the inlet ports were shaped by hand to a template so there were variations in the power produced. If an engine didn't meet the minimum power, the port had to be tweaked until it did. However, if an engine made 40.1 h.p. with a given head, swapping that head to a completely different engine would result in 40.1 h.p. If BSA were building Gold Stars today, and all heads were made by CNC, all finished engines would produce identical power. They wouldn't need to dyno each engine to guarantee how much power it produced.

If that eBay bike actually had been started, dyno tested, and road tested, but Dick Mann had deliberately used different cams than were originally in the engine when it left the factory, most people wouldn't have a problem calling it "restored." Whether or not someone objects to the idea of a bike that has been painstakingly rebuilt but never started, there's a pretty good case to be made for calling it "restored."

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: BritTwit] #479482
03/03/13 2:40 am
03/03/13 2:40 am
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Earth
"Whether or not someone objects to the idea of a bike that has been painstakingly rebuilt but never started, there's a pretty good case to be made for calling it "restored."

Ahh, but here is the rub. Let's say I needed a magneto "restored" for my Gold Star. Should I go for the one with all the shiny bits restored by an expert that never had any final testing?

I'd go with someone like 'you'. Someone that would not only make it look good, but would have all the test data to back it up. That is what I call "restored".

Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: rick e.] #479483
03/03/13 3:00 am
03/03/13 3:00 am
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted By: rick e.
Ahh, but here is the rub. Let's say I needed a magneto "restored" for my Gold Star. Should I go for the one with all the shiny bits restored by an expert that never had any final testing?

I'd go with someone like 'you'. Someone that would not only make it look good, but would have all the test data to back it up. That is what I call "restored".
Who am I to argue in the face of such flawless logic?...

Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: BritTwit] #479491
03/03/13 4:32 am
03/03/13 4:32 am
Middle East,
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Middle East,
Actually, I like mine a bit better than 'restored' - more durable finish, better tyres, brakes and oils. Better electrics, engine internals, nylon-lined cables, better clutch etc. Restored as it left the factory is nice, but a little limited..

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: BritTwit] #479604
03/03/13 7:07 pm
03/03/13 7:07 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
As Phil Pearson our GS Guru in England once remarked, "I wouldn't sell my Gold Star for twice what it's worth. But offer me three times and we'll talk".
My sentiments exactly.

And as a sage once told us..
"It's OK to love your motor bike as much as you do your family, just not more".

dave - NV
Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: BritTwit] #479770
03/04/13 1:33 pm
03/04/13 1:33 pm
Belgium
Julian Offline
BritBike Forum member
Julian  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Belgium
I use my bikes very little yet I do believe in using them as they were designed and not pussying around on them, so I do see things from both sides.

However not using them AT ALL is a bit like having an amazingly beautiful model for a wife and not fucking her in case you spoil her for the next guy! Keep her happy and well loved, take pleasure in riding her as she was designed, and keep her looking good for as long as possible is my moto! ;o)

Julian

Royal Enfield Works Trials
BSA Super Rocket Scrambler
BSA Gold Star Scrambler
Triumph Bonneville 1966
Laverda 750SF
Laverda "1000"SF
BSA Rocket 3
Norton Commando 850
Moto Morini 3-1/2 Sport
Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1
Ducati MHR 1980
Re: Me thinks it hath gone too far [Re: Julian] #479789
03/04/13 4:01 pm
03/04/13 4:01 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted By: Julian
However not using them AT ALL is a bit like having an amazingly beautiful model for a wife...
Not to take too much issue with your analogy, there is a difference. Actually, a couple of differences. Anyway, my daughters grew up riding amazingly beautiful horses. One fundamental difference between them and motorcycles, other than the horsepower, is that you can put a motorcycle in the garage, cover it with a sheet, and come back a month later and the motorcycle still will be amazingly beautiful. Not so with a live creature.

Certainly riding a motorcycle is a big part of owning it for many people, and perhaps having it to look at plays a lesser role for them. But, for some people those roles are reversed, and having it to look at is more important than riding it. This can be especially the case where more than one motorcycle is owned, with some of them primarily for riding, and others primarily for looking at.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership