BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
196 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,638 guests, and 515 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#478536 - 02/25/13 6:36 pm Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS)  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
Since I've gotten it back from the mechanic I've been getting better (but not perfect) at starting it and keeping it running, until now. I'll get a couple of quick start and stalls, and then after kicking long enough, a loud backfire. The backfires always seems to follow a deep guttural exhaust. Maybe Iím getting off track with my starting method, I donít know. But I pulled the plug this morning and it's all soot black (It's a fairly new plug that's probably seen some pretty irregular starting methods and flooding since Iím trying to figure all this out). So Ill replace that and see if it helps. But prior to that, the finding top dead center, and advancing just past seemed to be working with some success, especially from a cold start. It seems to be the hardest to start after I've taken it around the block and it stalls out. Maybe I need to adjust the carburetor?

But also the kickstart lever is not performing that great. The return spring is intermittent, most of the time not working. Occasionally, when brought all the way to the top, the kicker gets "stuck" kind of and only gives after a sharp snapping noise that doesn't sound too healthy. Also, and this is rare, the kick lever gives way and swings free. Should I rebuild it? And is this a hard job to do?

But I got some tank decals even though the paintís not perfect. I figure itíll be awhile before I paint it anyway. Also got a bar end mirror. At least it's starting to look fast!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#478541 - 02/25/13 7:28 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Quote:
But also the kickstart lever is not performing that great. The return spring is intermittent, most of the time not working. Occasionally, when brought all the way to the top, the kicker gets "stuck" kind of and only gives after a sharp snapping noise that doesn't sound too healthy. Also, and this is rare, the kick lever gives way and swings free. Should I rebuild it? And is this a hard job to do?

Get a new spring and a cotter pin, take off the kickstart and gear lever followed by the outer cover. Replace the kickstart spring but tension it first with a turn or 2, also inspect the kickstart quadrant teeth and the gear it mates with for wear, the first tooth on the quadrant will need dressing and you will probably need a new mating gear on the quadrant.

On the carbs it sounds like you are too rich on the tickover when at temp, you tune the idle on the carb at temp not when its cold.

#478552 - 02/25/13 8:14 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: kommando]  
LarryLebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
LarryLebel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canada
I would rotate the mirror so the the wide part is out. I have seen these mounted below the grip.

#478557 - 02/25/13 8:56 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
I'll try that with the mirror when I get home..Im going to get this parts list off eBay so I can order those parts..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-Parts-Manual...b9b&vxp=mtr

#478576 - 02/25/13 10:57 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
Got the new plug, got it to to start after a few kicks. Went on the longest ride yet of about 15 minutes. Made it through all the gears (keep in mind I'm just learning to ride too) At the end of the ride there was smoke coming off the engine, but i think it might be a light coating of oil that was on there for some reason. It's got a yellow patina on the fins...

#478593 - 02/26/13 12:36 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
Aside from the attention you most likely need to give to the kicker, it sound like you really just need to ride it. I wouldn't adjust anything until you start putting some miles on it, then learn the plug chop procedure and start checking after a good healthy ride or two. Bike is looking good and glad to hear you are getting more and more saddle time and enjoying this ultra cool bike beerchug

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#478604 - 02/26/13 1:32 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
kurt fischer Online content
#irideslow
kurt fischer  Online Content
#irideslow

Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
Looking good, and good for you for plunging in.

On the appearance, if you feel like fiddling, I'd tuck in the rear brake light switch wires a bit, they're making me nervous hanging out there. shocked

Also, I think the front fender brackets are upside-down, that's why the fender is sitting so high off the tire. Just my opinion, but I think it would look better and sleeker if you reversed the brackets, making sure the tire still clears the fender with a little room to spare.

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
#478608 - 02/26/13 2:01 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
I'm not a B50 expert, but those of you who are, have a look at the rear brake actuator. Isn't there supposed to be a coil spring there to pull the brake pedal back up?

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#478609 - 02/26/13 2:08 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
A few people have mentioned those brackets and I just recently understood what it meant, so I'll be changing them around soon. And yeah, those wires make me nervous too so ill be neat-ning them up as well...

#478659 - 02/26/13 12:37 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: Lannis]  
#irideslow
#irideslow

Originally Posted By: Lannis
I'm not a B50 expert, but those of you who are, have a look at the rear brake actuator. Isn't there supposed to be a coil spring there to pull the brake pedal back up?
Lannis

Enlarging the pics, I think I can see the end of the spring wrapping around the rear brake arm. CT Beezer can tell us ... .

BTW, CT Beezer, getting back to the starting and running issues, what's the weather like there in Connecticut? Starting and running in colder temps like 40F can be challenging, like how much to tickle/prime the carb, for example.

Does the carburetor have a choke? I can't tell from the pics. See discussion here:
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=477288#Post477288

What brand and number spark plug?

What weight motor oil?

And, taking longer rides in such temps can be challenging, too!

... just some thoughts ...

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
#478680 - 02/26/13 3:23 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: kurt fischer]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
Pictured below is the rear brake spring (the orange powder is from my dried out seat I'll be re-upholstering soon)

Kurt I answered your questions with pictures because well, pictures are more fun. It's been pretty cold here in the low to mid 30's day and 20's at night. Yesterday it bumped up to the low 40's which prompted the ride..

I read through that link you gave me which reminded me- My mechanic did say that sometimes the slide had a tendency to get stuck at high rpms but I haven't experienced it yet. He said to whack the side of the carb with something (not sure what I would have at hand to do any whacking while in motion) But- no high idle or anything, just smoke off the engine like oil burning off. I do know from taking the carb apart that the slide was stuck and I had to free it because of a groove that had worn into it-So I smoothed that out with some scotch brite. Where did you get that Idle screw?

#478689 - 02/26/13 4:11 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: CT Beezer
slide had a tendency to get stuck at high rpms but I haven't experienced it yet.

One of the best natural laxatives known. help

Regards,

#478691 - 02/26/13 4:29 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: Stuart]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
Yeah It sounded a little more serious than he let on...Would you replace the slide or shop out a new carb all together?

#478700 - 02/26/13 5:17 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
#irideslow
#irideslow

Thanks, pics are good.

If it wuz me, for this cold weather fiddling and putting around, I'd use an NGK B6ES (hotter plug). An 8 is pretty cold, but I don't know much about the singles.

And I'd use 20w-50 motor oil. Just some little things that might help.

As to the carb, how many hours do you have for reading posts and links here? Lots written up, and it sounds like your carb is showing it's age. Building my Triumph 650, I fiddled forever with an old carb, got it clean, but still had problems. So happens I had another carb body that was better, then I replaced the slide, the float, the float seat, the needle ... well, all the internals, sealed up the intake air leaks, and it runs pretty good now. Looking back, one of the newest Amals would have been a god idea.

Check the link in the first post of this thread for a thorough review of carb setup:
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=42112#Post42112

Again, does your carb have a choke? If so, is it adjusted and working properly and are you using it appropriately, and if you don't have a choke fitted, you will need expert tickler application, in the right amounts at the right times.

I think I got the brass extended idle speed screw from Lowbrow Customs. BUT I wouldn't recommend using their extended mixture screw, I had one and found it to be "made wrong" (oversize o-ring groove or wrong taper or both). British Cycle Supply sells brass extended screws and AMAL extended screws, have them listed anyway. IOTA is another brand, but I couldn't find the web site. In other words, several options and suppliers. Check with various forum sponsors.

Last edited by kurt fischer; 02/27/13 1:21 pm.

Kurt
#478714 - 02/26/13 6:33 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
CT Beezer,
We have two things in common. We have B50's and I was raised in CT. Your brake spring looks the way it is supposed to. When you figure out what the little hole that looks like a spring tang should go, let me know.

On starting...yes it can be a bear. Everything must be perfect for it to start on a couple of kicks. Actually cold starts are easier than hot starts. On the carb you can scotchbrite the body or use 400 grit paper to get you slide free, but loose slides affect idle and cause vacuum loss for starts. But you can get the bike to run pretty decent with a worn carb. I put a new 932 carb on the B50 and put the old one on my b44 with a ported head. Extended screws make starting easier. For cold starts, I raise the idle stop about 1/2-3/4 turn for starting and lower it as the bike warms up. Also the bike starts and idles a little better when the pilot air is decreased (richen)but you must turn it back once warmed and the circuit must be absolutely clean. I have a darkish tan plug after running a while but no soot. I am sure you know this but the throttle is closed for starting. If you open it you lose the vacuum in the idle circuit and it won't start at all.

Follow Kommando's advice on the kick start lever. It is likely the spring or the gear, or both. Sometimes it gets stuck at the top and a litle jiggle gets it thru the bind. The B50 spring setup is different than the B44. Some people with B44's might think it is the same but it is not so be careful on asembly.

Mr Mike

You won't catch me riding at 40 degrees. I did that many years ago in the 60ties and early 70ties but not now.

#478736 - 02/26/13 9:25 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
Pete R - R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Pete R - R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Vic. Australia
Originally Posted By: CT Beezer
Would you replace the slide or shop out a new carb all together?

The carb flange will be bent from over-tightening,so the slide bore is then distorted.
It can be straightened,and the slide will be free again.John Healy has covered this a few times in the Triumph Bulletin Board.

#478777 - 02/27/13 3:02 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: Mr Mike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: Mr Mike
When you figure out what the little hole that looks like a spring tang should go, let me know.

That other hole is indeed for a spring tang. Some models use an arm which points upward. My T150 had such an arm.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#478891 - 02/27/13 9:45 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: DavidP]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
I stopped home at lunch today to "practice" starting the bike a bit...I figured I'd check the plug to see how it fared after that epic 15 minute ride the other day and it was soot black. Not as bad as the one it replaced but more than I thought a new plug should be...So I threw it on the wire wheel and cleaned it up to have another go. Took me about 6-7 minutes of wild kicking and it finally started (not without giving me a good kick-back though). I let it run about 5 minutes then pulled the plug again, it looked like this (pic below) is it normal? Also, Im finding my starting procedure not to have consistant results. I tickle the carb, pull in the compression lever and clear the cylinder a few times, then let out the compression lever and kick through usually 1 1/2 times until I find compression (or what I think is compression). Then I pull in the lever again and ease it over TDC and get ready to give it a healthy kick. Then I find that THAT is the compression stroke and it doesn't budge. SOooo...I ease it over again and then go about kicking etc etc. no rhyme or reason it seems. Now my question is this, I usually give the horn a try while Im going through the stages of starting the bike to see how the battery is faring, if it's a good horn I guess it's fine and if it's week or not there Im thinking the battery ran down I (I could be totally wrong on this, I don't understand the electronics just yet). So last time this happened where the horn went non existent I put it on charge and within minutes the charger read that it was more than 80% charged and soon after it was done. What might this be about? It's got to have a good charge for it to get spark no? Does kicking it a thousand times run the battery down fast?

#478893 - 02/27/13 9:59 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
#irideslow
#irideslow

I'll comment only on the plug. IME, wire wheeling won't clean a plug and will degrade the insulator. Is that still the B8ES? I think you will help yourself a lot by installing a new NGK B6ES, available just about everywhere bikes and bike parts are sold. Coupla more bucks won't hurt, and just might help.

Yer gonna wreck your knee and other body parts (not to mention the bike) with that much kicking. (I'm not trying to be funny or clever, sorry.)

PS -- does the bike have points ignition or electronic ignition? Makes a difference on battery voltage requirements.

PPS -- repeating myself, but does the carb have a choke? Are there two cables running onto the carb top or just one?
Again, starting the bike in 40F temps has its particular needs.

Last edited by kurt fischer; 02/28/13 12:08 pm.

Kurt
#478956 - 02/28/13 10:23 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: ]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
With the singles it is easy to confuse cylinder compresssion with the valve spring being compressed, particularly if you are new and the DPO has fitted heavier springs ( very common ).
Now you will have to do this some where quiet.
Remove the inlet rocker cap so you can see the end of the rocker.
Slowly depress the kick start and watch the rocker.
It will go down ( induction ) then go up compression.
When you feel strong resistance just after the rocker has raised you are on, or should be very near TDC.
Allow the pedal to return to full height then put some weight on it while raising the valve lifter.
You should hear a definate sigh as the compression pressure is released.
Once the "sigh" stops you allow the pedal to rise again and you should be in the correct position to start.
Practice this till you can do it with your eyes closed.
Now turn on the fuel, replace the rocker cap ( very messsy if you don't ) and try your now modified technique.
It takes a while to get the muscle memory of the correct feel but once you have it down pat life will be a lot easier.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#478958 - 02/28/13 10:33 am Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: ]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: Allan Gill
Couple of things.

With only 5 minutes of running - that plug should be black. so Either your mixture is completely off, or less likely your plug is the wrong grade. (wrong grade plug shouldn't hamper starting) The plug grade comes into its own when the motor is hot and the plug self cleans, a quick rule of thumb - if mixture is correct and yet the plug is blistering or high contrast white, or the plug is black the plug grade is wrong.

You can only set the mixture when the bike is hot (minimum 40 mins ride at this time of year AND NOT LEFT ON TICK OVER)
You can also ONLY check the plug grade when the engine is hot and the mixture is right.

For your idle mixture, buy your self a colour tune, it will make the idle setting a lot easier.

And NEVER stick your plugs on the wire wheel again. you simply bugger up a plug and it will let you down. (if not break and cause damage)

Gees I am agreeing with Alan again.

You clean a plug by burning off the residue with an Oxy torch set to a lean flame. Never touch the electrode with a wire brush it oft leves streaks on the insulator which become short out paths under cylinder compression.
And by all means buy a Color tune ( made by Gunsons they have a web site )
if the bike runs good enough to ride then go for a ride to warm the engine and play with the carb when you get back.
If you use the colour tune watch the time. Never play with the carb with the engine running in still air for more than 15 minutes.
I used to feed the carb from a lawn mower fuel tank with a liter ( quart to some ) of fuel in it to prevent me from running the engine without any cooling air flow for too long.
You can use a fan, but it needs to be a big industrial one not the one you knicked from mums bedside table.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#478992 - 02/28/13 4:49 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: BSA_WM20]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Originally Posted By: BSA_WM20
You can use a fan, but it needs to be a big industrial one not the one you knicked from mums bedside table.

Hey Trevor,
What about a squirrel cage blower? Onna those big enuf???
..... Directional outlet an' all...

#479022 - 02/28/13 6:58 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
run990 Offline
BritBike Forum member
run990  Offline
BritBike Forum member

lancashire united kingdom
looks a very nice bike ,sounds like it just needs the dialing in .if its had engine work rings etc a certain amount of bedding in & a bit of oil fouling of the plug could occur if your a bit too gentle with the machine.dont keep doing short runs,take it for a good long run,get it fully up to temp ,get the oil fully warmed up.if your not sure its running right ,see if there is a localish british bike club or similar ,most are usually friendly & helpfull .if someone can actually see & hear the bike they can give there opinion .
it could be worth asking the mechanic who worked on it ,it could just need a small tweak .the b50 engine is tough old bird so unless you really abuse it your not likely to hurt it

#479024 - 02/28/13 7:18 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: run990]  
#irideslow
#irideslow

Originally Posted By: run990
see if there is a localish british bike club or similar ,most are usually friendly & helpfull .if someone can actually see & hear the bike they can give there opinion.

http://www.ctbritiron.org

"Meetings are held the first Friday of every month, unless otherwise specified in advance."

I have now contributed all I can. "Good-night, and good luck."

Last edited by kurt fischer; 02/28/13 10:32 pm.

Kurt
#479031 - 02/28/13 7:39 pm Re: Advice on some gremlins? (71' B50SS) [Re: CT Beezer]  
CT Beezer Offline
BritBike Forum member
CT Beezer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CT
Trevor- thanks ill give that a shot. I do really think that the problem lies with my starting procedure and not knowing TDC.

So far Ive learned not to wire wheel my plugs blush (So I guess angle grinders are out too.. laughing ) And to take longer rides. That last ride was really the first time I could have gone long at all since it was the first time I didn't stall the bike. I would have gone longer too had the block not started to smoke.... Might try again today since we're in high 40's.

If anyone cares to listen- I shot a video of it running for about a minute. Notice the non-retunred kicker arm mad

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.849s Queries: 16 (0.097s) Memory: 1.0091 MB (Peak: 1.3781 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:25:29 UTC