BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Roger Gulledge
Roger Gulledge
Oahu Hawaii USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
221 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,770 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,702 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,294
Members9,957
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#466754 - 12/08/12 3:38 am Single seat for 1970 T100S  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd like to consider a single seat with rear carrier for my T100S. I've seen Meriden and Hinkley Bonnevilles with single seats, like below but how about 500cc unit bikes? Would I still have easy access to oil and battery?

I figure Ted Simon's single seat on his T100 must have been comfortable enough...

1970 Triumph T100S (1969 T100S motor)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#466769 - 12/08/12 5:45 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Matthew,

Originally Posted By: Matthew in TO
I'd like to consider a single seat with rear carrier for my T100S.

Ime, the basis of a single seat seems to have just been the front part of a standard dual-seat pan; however, in the case of the T100P and police version of the T160 I've seen, you need to use enough of the pan to be able to use the seat catch and an additional hinge pin was added to the frame. Some T160's had a clamp-on pin but others, and police versions of the twins, all seem to have had the frame drilled and the additional pin welded/brazed in like the normal two for a twin seat. Also bear in mind that the two hinges for a twin seat are different so I don't know whether the position of the additional hinge pin is dependent on which hinge you use? And then you'll need to make an additional clearance cut-out in the top of the sidepanel?

Then the basis of your rack could be (a copy of?) the police-version radio mount?

But I'm wondering what your thinking behind this is - on the face of it, seems a lot of work to make a less-flexible bike?

Hth.

Regards,

#466772 - 12/08/12 6:19 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
I'm in the process of making a single seat out of a dual seat for my T100 ISDT bike which is a 68 Daytona. Having to invent all kinds of things. I shortened a damaged dual seat, bolted it together and got welding done, only using the front hinge so far, have to move the piece that goes into the catch on the right side to a new position, making blocks out of hockey pucks for the seat to sit on the frame, had to cut out the rear bottom of the pan to clear the rear fender, making a catch at the left front of the seat and then I'll have to cover it. It's been quite an adventure but I'm a determined cuss and I might even put a zippered tool kit in the bottom of the rear of the seat Peplow style if I really feel ambitious. Building a special requires the services of the Meridan comp shop or more time and money than it should and it's not as straight forward as I would have liked it to be but it's more fun than an original type restoration. But that's just me......Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
#466862 - 12/08/12 10:17 pm Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was hoping to get a more comfortable single seat, not just mod a standard dual seat.

#466866 - 12/08/12 10:45 pm Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
KADUTZ Offline
BritBike Forum member
KADUTZ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

in my house
I believe Ted Simons bike was a P or Police model.

K

1970 T120RT
1978 T140V
#466877 - 12/09/12 1:40 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
Matthew, no need to move the rear seat hinge pin on the frame.
The Triumph "Saint" used a solo seat, and it hinged like the regular dual seat, but the factory made a special rear hinge pin to move it forward. The mount was a plate bolted to the upper left shock absorber mounting bolt, with the curved seat hingeing pin welded to the plate.
Will someone with a "Saint" please put a picture of this mount on
this site so Matthew can see what it looks like?

#466894 - 12/09/12 4:29 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Irish Swede]  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here's an image of what I had in mind...

I figure I'd find such a seat, fill it with gel or other good padding and use it for longer runs, with more space for kit behind the seat - maybe put a carrier rack back there.

#466896 - 12/09/12 6:05 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Food for thought: I've engaged the same thought once or twice, an option you may not have considered is location of hinge. Why not flip up backwards, permitting you to mount the hinge on the rear of the solo seat, and on the fender? Another option would be a forward tilt, possibly using the rear tank bolt area as a spot to mount the front half of the hinge? By mounting on the rear of the seat, it would easily enable using a standard seat pan cut shorter, as the basic curves are already there- bear in mind clearance for the seat padding and cover. (Honda CB450 used a rear mount hinge, worked quite nicely.) Either front or rear mount does leave the problem of a seat latch for securing. Again, the CB450 seat latch is very close and could easily be modified for the purpose.

Last edited by Deadstiffcatt; 12/09/12 6:07 am.
#466900 - 12/09/12 7:58 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
deadstiff....some good thoughts.....I'm already re thinking my single seat which is not quite finished. Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
#466907 - 12/09/12 8:53 am Re: Single seat for 1970 T100S [Re: Matthew in TO]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Matthew,

I figure I'd find such a seat, fill it with gel or other good padding and use it for longer runs

Mmmm ... I used to have similar thoughts (about different parts) ... In practice:-

. at the other end of a "longer run", I'd need the flexibility of the part that was back home;

. I'd get back from a "longer run" and need the flexibility of the part that wasn't on the bike before I had the time to change them ... frown

Ime:-

. I would modify either the whole dual seat, or just the front half - I'm currently experimenting with layers of different-density foams (as Honda did (do?) as standard; ime, their standard seats are still comfy when they're years old). With care, even original Triumph cover clips and trim can be removed with little or no damage - with a pattern seat, clips and trim should be available.

. You hand over a seat pan to an upholsterer and say, "I want a, b, c"; it comes back, you try it, you don't like it, what are you going to do? Hand over more money to the same or another upholsterer?

. Otoh, diy and you can change it as much as you like for, at most, the cost of the parts and your time. Do the work in the warm and, with only a little practice, no-one looking later will even know the seat has been fiddled with. bigt

with more space for kit behind

If I'm one-up, I just use one of these to strap stuff to the seat behind me.

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.197s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8626 MB (Peak: 1.0612 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 05:43:38 UTC