BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Lancs Tiger
Lancs Tiger
Wigan, Lancs, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,710 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,248 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,286
Posts632,373
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#458195 - 10/10/12 7:01 pm My T100C project  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
I have had this bike for about 15 to 20 years. I started on it and just now getting back to it. I just put a hack on my daily runner, which I like a lot but miss two wheels so this is what inspired me to get back to it. It is a 1971. Do to my situation might take me a while to finish it. As you can see some of the work is completed.

I am getting ready to totally redo the front end. All my bikes I have and had are daily riders so I will be replacing the springs, wheel bearings, any rubber parts and more as well as do a some painting. All I need to do it is springs and 2 o-rings. I have a kit of coned neck bearings coming.

The head is ready which all I need is a new set of valve springs and clean everything and assemble. Might bead it again to shine it up as it has been sitting so long. Being it is as old is it is I like to put new springs in the head even thaw I have a spring checker.

Bottom end is together all I need to do is install the transmission and primary drive. I use to have a cylinder blasted, pistons fitted and painted but do to my situation had to sell them. I do have another jug which is std but have to get another set of pistons, blast and fit pistons which I do my self. All so paint.

I all so had to sell my factory manual but I just got a reproduction factory manual. It came with R pipes but I am going to put C pipes on it and is my biggest problem to come do in my situation and not the eases thing to find. New ones if you can find them are VERY expensive. If any one knows where I can get a used set please let me know. I am all so looking for a under shield (engine guard) as I plain on doing a little off road riding. My oldest grandson who LOVES to ride who is 7 has a 4 wheeler and I would like to ride with him.

This go round will not be a full restoration but will come later when I have the funds but everything to make it reliable will be done. Later on I will tear it down and make it look real pretty like power coat the frame and so on. Right now I am going to line the tank and just paint it black.

Any constrictive suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jeff

Rolling chassis

Head

Some of the new parts I have.

Bottom end

If you see my motorcycle on a trailer call the police it is stolen.

5 more states excluding Hawaii I will have them all on one motorcycle.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#458250 - 10/11/12 12:03 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Need some help please. I have all the manuals but I know there has to be a better fork oil to use then motor oil so what do you recommend as well as what weight? Keep in mind I have the C with the heavy fork springs. I will be running dual sport tires and will be riding off road about 20% of the time.
Thanks
Jeff

#458282 - 10/11/12 7:08 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Jeff, looks like a cool little project. Look forward to seeing some mud on it. For what its worth i use a modern 20 weight mineral fork oil. My bike stays mostly on the tarmac with the odd gravel/dirt road thrown in.

Rod

#458399 - 10/11/12 11:01 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: R Moulding]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Thanks to Jack here on the forum who bought some of my NOS BSA parts I will be ordering the last parts I need to rebuild the front end. I have the parts to rebuild the swing arm but if it looks good well keep the parts for later. I will all so be replacing all the wheel bearings.
Thanks
Jeff

#458621 - 10/13/12 7:19 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
If any one is interested I received my new handle bars and the look a whole lot better then the ones in the above picture. They are very similar to the stock one. Next week hoping to redo the forks!

#459243 - 10/18/12 1:56 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
After getting the grease off the frame today I will either have to have it painted or powder coated.

#459266 - 10/18/12 6:45 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Both my bikes came to me with them silly type bars. Never could understand it!

Paint or powdercoat is like asking about oil. Think the thing to bare in mind is choose one or the other and stick to it. ie, all the frame and cycle parts in one or the other.

Rod

#459307 - 10/18/12 2:26 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
mac Offline
BritBike Forum member
mac  Offline
BritBike Forum member

cresaptown md. us
hoping for the best...assemble and ride.
guess you saw mine being worked on at the couldersport ride(one state ride)
anyway...have fun.

#459313 - 10/18/12 2:58 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jeff46u
Need some help please. I have all the manuals but I know there has to be a better fork oil to use then motor oil so what do you recommend as well as what weight? Keep in mind I have the C with the heavy fork springs. I will be running dual sport tires and will be riding off road about 20% of the time.
Thanks
Jeff

Lots of companies make purpose-made fork oil that foams less than motor oil when worked back and forth through a damping orifice. I use Bel-Ray 20W in all of my bikes that use fork oil for damping and lubrication. My Guzzi, which uses oil ONLY for lubrication and not damping, I use ATF per the manual.

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#459395 - 10/19/12 1:40 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Lannis]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Originally Posted By: Lannis
Originally Posted By: Jeff46u
Thanks
Jeff

Lots of companies make purpose-made fork oil that foams less than motor oil when worked back and forth through a damping orifice. I use Bel-Ray 20W in all of my bikes that use fork oil for damping and lubrication. My Guzzi, which uses oil ONLY for lubrication and not damping, I use ATF per the manual.

Lannis

Yes all I have ever used in my and the many bikes I work on for over 40 years is fork oil. I am going to start out with some PJ1 20 and see how it does.

Talked to the powder coat guy today and he said he would do the main frame, rear part of the frame and the swing arm for $125. At that price I am going to let him do all the fork parts battery box, foot pegs and so on.

I will be really happy when I am putting together instead of taking apart.

If you have not seen it here is my 1971 BSA Thunderbolt I did about 15 years ago but ended up selling it. Sorry did not like the one year gray frames so I had it painted black. Like all my bikes I ride them often. I have restore quite a few bikes not only for my self but others some have been featured in magazines .
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff46u; 10/19/12 1:43 am.

#459494 - 10/19/12 7:24 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Today I was doing some beading on a HD 59 motor I am building so I touched up some of my T100C parts that where beaded 15 or 20 years ago. All I need to put the head together is new valve springs. I have all ready ground the valves and did the seats.

#460036 - 10/22/12 4:57 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Some good news! I thought I sold my mint factory manual so I bought a reprint. Well I found my factory manual and will use the reprint so I can use it with out worry of getting grease on the factory one. I all so have a factory owners manual.

My biggest problem is finding the stock C exhaust but I did pick up the muffler bracket at a fear price on eBay. So far the only parts I have is the H pipe, muffler bracket and frame clamps. I do have a set of R pipes if I get ready before I get up the OEM exhaust.

Looking like I sold one of my live steam engines so when I get that money I will tear down the rolling chases and take it to get powder coated. Hope to have the rolling chassis back up in the next month or two.

Last edited by Jeff46u; 10/22/12 4:58 pm.

#461076 - 10/29/12 4:15 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Hoping to take all frame and front end parts to get powder coated no later then this Wednesday.

#461165 - 10/29/12 11:30 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
I talked to Jeff yes his name is Jeff like mine and he told my if I bead blast all I can get in my blast cabinet he would knock off 30%. To bad the frame will not fit in my cabinet but everything else should. Looks like with my small compressor I will be bead blasting all day Tuesday. This what will be powder coated but I do have 4 or 5 other parts that will be going I am working on.

Last edited by Jeff46u; 10/29/12 11:31 pm.

#461232 - 10/30/12 4:29 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Me and a friend went in half on a powdercoat kit from Eastwood, we did all the small stuff in his barn using an old electric oven. The main frame, rear loop and swing arm I stripped and cleaned before taking it to the powdercoater, he said I probably saved myself about $100 by doing all the dirty work.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#461493 - 11/01/12 4:08 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: shel]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Being the guy doing the powder coating will do the blasting and powder coating on the frame, rear frame and swing arm for $125 I am not going to worry about doing much to them other then clean all the grease off. More then likely he is going to do it all for around $200 so being I do not do much powder coating will be cheaper to let him do it.

I have to do a little welding and finish bead blasting and it will be ready. This is the bead blasting I have done so far. My little 5HP 30 gallon tank dual cylinder single action compressor is not big enough so it takes me a while.

Last edited by Jeff46u; 11/01/12 4:13 pm.

#461676 - 11/03/12 2:42 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Most everything is at the powered coaters. Sorry do to my situation it will be a while before I can do much more. But is slowly getting closer.

#461924 - 11/04/12 11:42 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Did a little cleaning and polishing today. I am going to end up sanding the fenders, as the rear did not turn out as well as I would like. The front one I have not done anything to yet but the rear (left) I am not happy with. Still have about an hour or so to go on the primary. Might have to do a little more sanding on it to get some pits out I did not see the first time I sanded it.

#462008 - 11/05/12 2:23 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Isaak Offline
One time poster
Isaak  Offline
One time poster

Perth, Australia
Great to see this project as I am about to start a similar thing with my '69 T100C here in Australia.

I am really interested to learn what you have used for polishing of your mudguards. I would love more detail about the tools you use for these things.

Cheers!

#462029 - 11/05/12 5:16 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Isaak]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Good to see someone besides my self interested in this build. Do to my situation after I get the powder coating back it will be on hold for a while unfortunately but will give me plenty of time to polish LOL. I am sorry to say this was a very abused bike and like many projects going to cost me a lot more then I had hoped. Someone even ran the rear brake shoes down to the point the rivets ate up the drum and this is only one of the many things I have found.

I have only done the rear mud guard (fender) so far and not happy with it. I can tell even from the factory it was not polished real well and has a lot of manufacturing scratches. Since I have so much time before I can do much with it I am going to sand both down starting with 220 wet dry sandpaper and work my say down to very fine 2000. I all so need to redo my primary as I stopped at 400, which left too many fine scratches. I have many machines and do my own machine work other then turning the crank. One of them being the below buffer. A buffer helps a lot but still takes a lot of handwork including the final stage polishing by hand. On aluminum I use Never Dual as the final polishing as it leaves a protective film that protects it form oxidizing.
Thanks
Jeff

#463402 - 11/15/12 1:29 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
I've been watching as well. Looks like a great job in progress- please keep posting. I have the same problem with builds-when I have the time I have little $$, and the reverse.

#463865 - 11/18/12 6:07 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Jeff, I've been watching your build as well. In fact, one reason I go so slow on my own project is that I spend too much time reading this forum and not enough time wrenching.

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#463890 - 11/18/12 8:46 pm Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
79T140E Offline
BritBike Forum member
79T140E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

washington state
I've been watching your build as well. I am getting lots of good ideas and motivation from reading this. My bike is a nice rider, so it is a matter of "one day I would love to tear it down" Keep on posting.

#465080 - 11/27/12 12:34 am Re: My T100C project [Re: 79T140E]  
Jeff46u Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jeff46u  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Macon, GA USA
Picked up the first batch of parts I had power coated. Have to take two things back to get redone glad they are only 2 or 3 miles away. It is semi gloss.

Hate to but this project is going to be on hold for a month or two I hope that will be all. When to a funeral yesterday and on the way home the stator on my rig gave out. I am going to write Harley and tell them it only lasted 90,000 miles LOL. Will get back when I get more done or news.

#465125 - 11/27/12 7:15 am Re: My T100C project [Re: Jeff46u]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Looking mighty nice, Jeff. It's great to get a big batch of pretty stuff like that back at one time. Course, then you get to sort it and store it.

I wish everything on a Harley would last for 90,000 miles.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.562s Queries: 16 (0.022s) Memory: 1.0062 MB (Peak: 1.3639 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 20:21:18 UTC