Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*

BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
91 registered (NickL, KennethC., Lennart, D.Bachtel, BikeVice, Max, robcurrie, wilksville, desco, Rickman, Pete R, Steve Erickson, brettsyoung, C.B.S, zoe, Tim Inks, 57nortonmodel77, noisy norton, Jack Adams, RussH, YetAnotherDave, stewbert, crank, gioleo123, geordie, JT441, 1958superrocket, Mark Z, bsawood, BikeNut, DavidP, larrytg, Triless, Adam M., Richrd, old mule, MrYeats, 2ndchildhood, 2slow, KC in S.B., Denis J, brokesinceacquir, NCBrown, Brid Caveney, DMadigan, franko, chris b33, Jeff Hall, Samhain, kevin, Eddie Garrett, Graham NZ, HughdeMann, triumph david, htown, joe a., RGSDave, Chuck Stone, Boomer, Shane in Oz, downhere, Mike P, 441/R3cafeSteve, mxman1, Mossy, Bob E, Gary E, Pender, Al H, jfligg, jimbob, 218017765, gREgg-K, Greenspringfarm, Rich B, Barb, cacinni, Lannis, BOB in NW PA, bsalloyd, TT Rider, Jerry Roy, Mike Cole, quinten, wildbill, corymarc, Silent cyc, kurt fischer, AG Bill, Gordo in Comox, GTSRider), 322 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bergi, TrumpNYC, Chris B, albertorondm, Graham NZ
7853 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7853 Members
33 Forums
52177 Topics
483943 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10017
John Healy 8503
Lannis 8216
Alex 7337
ricochetrider 7168
JubeePrince 6043
Stuart 5897
kommando 5520
Jon W. Whitley 4743
Kent Shaun 4657
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#463219 - 11/14/12 7:58 am conical hub front wheel on early forks
run990 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: lancashire united kingdom
ny 65 a65 has the feeble full width sls front brake ,i know the conventional tls is a straight bolt in job,however i have spotted a conical hub front wheel with good chrome right size rim & good tyre ,it seems to have been modified to having the backplate located via the slotted groove rather than by the usuall stud.its been years since i messed with swapping wheels on these bikes ,something is telling me the whole wheel is wider on the spindle or an i wrong.reason for fitting wheel is bike is a daily user & no front brake is becoming a bit of an issue plus the price is good less than half the cost of the earlier tls drum

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#463231 - 11/14/12 10:21 am Re: conical hub front wheel on early forks [Re: run990]
wak Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: derby england
The spindle is about an inch longer, however with a bit of messin you still might get the hub in.
BSA BUSHMAN
INDIAN WOODSMAN

#463243 - 11/14/12 12:19 pm Re: conical hub front wheel on early forks [Re: run990]
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hi,

Originally Posted By: run990
conical hub
it seems to have been modified to having the backplate located via the slotted groove rather than by the usuall stud.

Has "the slotted groove" been machined into the backplate, or has it been formed by adding material on either side of the groove's position? If the latter, can you be sure the extra material won't come off one time you apply the brake?

Regards,

#463268 - 11/14/12 3:21 pm Re: conical hub front wheel on early forks [Re: Stuart]
Jon W. Whitley Online   content

Loc: Vermont
Scary, hopefully it has been machined.

Originally Posted By: Stuart

Has "the slotted groove" been machined into the backplate, or has it been formed by adding material on either side of the groove's position? If the latter, can you be sure the extra material won't come off one time you apply the brake?

I imagine aside from the brake plate issue, he will have to use the existing '65 axle as doesn't it have the threaded axle and right side fork leg? Then there is the bearing issue, etc.etc.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#463276 - 11/14/12 4:02 pm Re: conical hub front wheel on early forks [Re: Jon W. Whitley]
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hi Jon,

Originally Posted By: Jon W. Whitley
he will have to use the existing '65 axle as doesn't it have the threaded axle and right side fork leg?

According to this recent thread, some '65 BSA models had the Triumph-type spindle, clamps and full-width drum; I'm guessing that's what the o.p.'s bike has if he's considering using a comical hub? The '65 brake and forks also appear to be detailed in the '64 twins parts book on Kim's CD.

Hth.

Regards,

#463290 - 11/14/12 6:07 pm Re: conical hub front wheel on early forks [Re: Stuart]
run990 Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: lancashire united kingdom
yes my bike has the forks with detachable caps not the older push thru type spindle ,the slot looks to be machined into a piece of alloy welded to the backplate it also passes over the bolt that is normally used.there looks to be some wear in the slot so brake has worked in the past for someone.my forks are like later a10 type forks with a full width hub.the 1 inch width diffrence seems to ring a bell from fitting a wheeel to a bike 20 years ago. thanks for the input ,i think i will try to improve the function of the current brake by increasing the leverage.its been ok since 1965 so i will just have to improve my grip ha ha

Moderator:  Mike Carter 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*