BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
allflatblack
allflatblack
Jersey City NJ, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,580 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
440,575 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,974
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
#545211 - 05/25/14 7:10 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Ben Strain R.I.P.]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Originally Posted By: Greenspringfarm
Thanks to Windy at Shady Valley Campground I got home with truck and trailer yesterday at 8 PM. Had a relaxing week in Shady Valley meeting folks, waiting for the UPS man, breaking Windy's Massey-Ferguson, and making numerous trips over the mountain to fetch things and test the truck's transmission.

Ben

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the truck Ben.
I know it was serving you well and you were pleased with it when we talked at Petaluma.

I've had a few minor problems that required immediate attention since the Rally but none that left me stranded. Keep your chin up!

Don in Nipomo

#545227 - 05/25/14 9:27 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Ben Strain R.I.P.]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Greenspringfarm
Thanks to Windy at Shady Valley Campground I got home with truck and trailer yesterday at 8 PM. Had a relaxing week in Shady Valley meeting folks, waiting for the UPS man, breaking Windy's Massey-Ferguson, and making numerous trips over the mountain to fetch things and test the truck's transmission.

Ben

Ben, really sorry that all that happened to you.

You helped out a lot of us, including and especially me, hauling a load of bikes and gear for 7 or 8000 miles across the country and back and up and down the Appalachians, so that we could play on our bikes in California and North Carolina.

I feel bad that all the pulling burned up the transmission in your truck. If it had to happen, I suppose it happened in a good place, with good people to help you out.

We all owe you, and I hope we get a chance to "make it good" at some point!

I know Peg is glad to have you back!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#545337 - 05/26/14 4:40 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Lannis]  
Ben Strain R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ben Strain R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

SW Pa
Don and Lannis
Thanks for your concern. The problem was a leak at one of the fittings on the transmission and not the use it received dragging the trailer 6000 miles. Windy rebuilt the transmission as a lot of the internals were cooked but I still have an issue. Perhaps the coolers are partially blocked as the transmission now over heats on hard pulls like the area around Bluefield West Virginia on I77. More investigations will follow. If I had payed more attention to Sara Hewitt at Petaluma I could have avoided the whole issue. She pointed out that I had an oil mist on the rear tires of the truck but I couldn't see any leaks under the truck and assumed I had run through some oil. If I had checked the transmission oil level I would have seen that it was down. Apparently the fluid was slowly leaking for most of the trip and finally ran out just south of Mouth of Wilson Va. The only indication of trouble was a funky shift and then forward motion stopped and trans temperature was in the danger zone. Experience is the best and most expensive teacher and this incident in no way diminishes the great times I had on this trip!

Ben

#545380 - 05/26/14 7:53 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Sara spotted it heh? Damn, maybe next time you'll listen.
It's easy to slip up and forget something simple like tranny fluid level, I know you're pissed at yourself.
Bet it never happens again. Keep smiling Mr Ben!

Don in Nipomo

#545566 - 05/27/14 8:39 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
could this be the next "you write the caption?"

something different,

and some things stay the same,

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#545763 - 05/28/14 11:17 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
Paul Sammut Offline
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Omaha, NE, USA
Hi Lannis,
I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.
Paul

Paul

'74 Commando
'75 T160 Trident
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
#545894 - 05/29/14 9:48 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
old_biker_in_VA Offline
BritBike Forum member
old_biker_in_VA  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Virginia
man, bummer! I joined here a few weeks too late, this looked like a fun time, & practically in my backyard.

I live within 25 miles of Mabrys mill & the Blue Ridge Parkway, as a teenager I used to hang out at the mill at the blacksmith shop talking to "Festus" he past away many years ago, but he was an old time blacksmith, lots of good roads around these parts too, these mountains have been my playground for 30 years, & it is easy to plan a trip & not have a stoplight until close to destination. even over 50+ miles.

#546130 - 05/31/14 6:31 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: old_biker_in_VA]  
Howard Inough Offline
BritBike Forum member
Howard Inough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: old_biker_in_VA
man, bummer! I joined here a few weeks too late, this looked like a fun time, & practically in my backyard.

I live within 25 miles of Mabrys mill & the Blue Ridge Parkway, as a teenager I used to hang out at the mill at the blacksmith shop talking to "Festus" he past away many years ago, but he was an old time blacksmith, lots of good roads around these parts too, these mountains have been my playground for 30 years, & it is easy to plan a trip & not have a stoplight until close to destination. even over 50+ miles.

Next year... beerchug

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.307s Queries: 15 (0.050s) Memory: 0.8573 MB (Peak: 1.0309 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 11:03:31 UTC