BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
allflatblack
allflatblack
Jersey City NJ, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,580 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
440,575 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,974
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
#544264 - 05/20/14 12:48 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: ricochetrider]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
Gordon,

I always like reading your "highs & lows" comments...

AND speaking of The Parkway...
Over the years I've heard folks complain about that last stretch being a real "snoozer" after all the marvelous twisties...
I always thought "yeah right" BUT Sunday, I was absolutely falling asleep pretty much the entire time we were on that last run on the BRP!

Guys behind me told me later they were wondering why in the heck I kept crossing the centerline! And was going so slooooooow.

So, if people think the return leg on the BRP is a "snoozer"- I can definitively confirm that it is indeed just that!

Cheers!
Have a good day.
Tom

Tom, it was really good having you back this year and I'm proud of you for doing it on a Brit Bike AGAIN. bigt

There are people who love the parkway and those who hate it. I'm one of those who loves it and have done that section 100's of times...hard to believe (looking at me now)but I've done it on push bikes too.

There are people who come from all over the world to ride the Parkway....and rave about it, so go figure.

I've always thought it was a wonderful way to finish the ride since I hate riding through redlights and the Jeffersons. BUT....I don't have to worry about it any more smile and you guys can take it up with Windy who I "think" is more than willing to do away with that section of the ride. bigt

Good to see you again and hope to see you in PA this fall????

Your friend in NC, Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/20/14 12:49 pm.
#544288 - 05/20/14 3:12 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
I almost forgot one of the best things about this years TSMR, the date! I work in an auto parts store and we are in the process of putting up a new building. A part of that process was to move us into temporary quarters while the old building is torn down, and JUST GUESS when that happened!? Not that I wanted to miss out on packing up and moving out of the old place but.......I had put in for this time off last year, and I really would have hated to miss this one bigt grin
Good job on scheduling Gordon!

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#544293 - 05/20/14 3:27 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: MikeG]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Mike G, Damnit....it think it's chummies, not chubbies. I need to review that video a few more times...ya know what I mean Bob. laughing

YES......OSMR is on the list....HIGH on the list. I'm going to do BIBR first then start working on my plans for the OSMR.

Rode the B44 all 1500 miles round trip last year..(and baby it was cold Sunday morning) plan on doing that again this year but......with a twist this time. The only hint I'll give is...I'm planning on riding the B44 to PA but riding a different bike for the ride. wink

THIS is the year for BSA.....Semper Gumby (aka Bill) has set the bar high and there's no way I can out do that...but in my own little way I'll try to at least do something special with a BSA this year.

See ya in PA chummies.....CHOWDA!!!!!! Gordon (aka Opie)

#544297 - 05/20/14 4:25 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Graham Ham]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Ha ha, I'm not opposed to the Parkway, I love it- in fact I've ridden more northerly stretches on several occasions- done it all from Roanoke on up including riding the Skyline Drive twice. I actually consider BRP/Skyline Drive to be one of our National Treasures... And I really love that Linville Viaduct and the story behind it! Someday I'll ride the whole thing from Roanoke down.

BUT I DID sleep a bit along that last stretch on Saturday! crazy
I guess that final gas stop is just too much? Hanging around there pretty solidly breaks the rhythm of the ride... then the tiredness sets in.
Sure would've hated to be all drowsy & falling asleep in TRAFFIC tho! eek

Ah well, as I am fond of saying:
no blood = no foul.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/20/14 4:37 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#544307 - 05/20/14 5:36 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Originally Posted By: Gordon Gray
The only hint I'll give is...I'm planning on riding the B44 to PA but riding a different bike for the ride. wink
Gordon (aka Opie)

I could guess, but I might be correct, I'll keep quiet.

Don in Nipomo

#544351 - 05/20/14 10:46 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Gordon Gray]  
bill50cal Online content
bill50cal  Online Content

orlando fla/ shady valley Tn
as it stands right now I don't see ANY changes to the route. like you, getting through the jeffersons AND bypassing boone is NOT a good option. on the plus side there a lot of wonderful pull off's to stop for a few minuets and stretch a leg or just get a picture of the view's from one of the overlook's as some of them can be breathtaking.

on another note THANKS for throwing me under the bus laughing . I just hope I can keep it going as well as you have done for all these years.

so far several have have offered there help and that is one more thing that makes this such a wonderful group of people.

I've always thought it was a wonderful way to finish the ride since I hate riding through redlights and the Jeffersons. BUT....I don't have to worry about it any more smile and you guys can take it up with Windy who I "think" is more than willing to do away with that section of the ride. bigt

Your friend in NC, Gordon

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#544397 - 05/21/14 8:35 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Graham Ham]  
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
DPO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Great reading and pics...Maybe the Georgia Gang can make it next year...Greg, Cass, and myself...My bike broke, and had to change residents that weekend, but will be at the BIBR in a few weeks..

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"

1971 Triumph T120
2005 Triumph "America"
1976 BMW R90/6
#544405 - 05/21/14 9:07 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: bill50cal]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: bill50cal
as it stands right now I don't see ANY changes to the route. like you, getting through the jeffersons AND bypassing boone is NOT a good option. on the plus side there a lot of wonderful pull off's to stop for a few minuets and stretch a leg or just get a picture of the view's from one of the overlook's as some of them can be breathtaking.

on another note THANKS for throwing me under the bus laughing . I just hope I can keep it going as well as you have done for all these years.

so far several have have offered there help and that is one more thing that makes this such a wonderful group of people.

Just speaking for myself, I agree; how else are you going to start and finish in Blowing Rock, ride 210 miles on beautiful roads, and only go through 3 traffic lights? We've been doing it long enough now that it's a tradition!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#544423 - 05/21/14 10:31 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: D.Bachtel]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Originally Posted By: D.Bachtel
The only hint I'll give is...I'm planning on riding the B44 to PA but riding a different bike for the ride. wink
Gordon (aka Opie)

I could guess, but I might be correct, I'll keep quiet.

Don in Nipomo

Me too....I've actually thought of doing the same myself someday

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
#544491 - 05/21/14 5:50 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Lannis]  
bill50cal Online content

I know that gordon has spent a LOT of time and money over the years doing this ride and I have spent a fair amount riding these roads also. I, like gordon have NOT found a way to make it any better or safer for the riders and believe me the two of us have talked and looked a lot on this. there is just NOT a good option after hwy 58 to reroute back without having to go through towns which greatly increases the traffic, redlights number of turns and the liklyhood of riders getting lost along with the time element. like you said 3 traffic lights one SMALL town and some of the best roads around why mess with perfection?
Originally Posted By: Lannis

Just speaking for myself, I agree; how else are you going to start and finish in Blowing Rock, ride 210 miles on beautiful roads, and only go through 3 traffic lights? We've been doing it long enough now that it's a tradition!

Lannis

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#544505 - 05/21/14 7:03 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: bill50cal]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey Windy....since it's a short bus it won't hurt as long. laughing

Your right, you and I have talked a LOT about this ride and worked over options for the last section. There have been times (rides) when we would have to detour around it...and we have, but it's always convoluted and a pain to deal with. If you end up using the ride signs...you'll already have 45+ to set out...it only takes 1 to get you on the Parkway (unless you're Jim in NC...sorry brother couldn't help it smile ) think how many extra it'd take to get you through the Jeffersons. OH...and you'd have to re-educate the ride leaders too.

Okay smile I think the best thing I can do is to NOT overwhelm you with advice. laughing

The only thing (yea right) I'll add is...I've always thought that you can't "lead" the ride from the front. It's hard to make decisions involving 30+ riders not knowing what's going on in the rear. I think that's how some of my ancestors survived the entire civil war laughing "Alright boys, you go get em...I need to go back to headquarters to check with the general. Don't ya'll worry, I'll be right back!" laughing

Hang in there...as Mr Jack Adams says "It's never too late to start wasting your life" laughing Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/21/14 7:07 pm.
#544534 - 05/21/14 8:54 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Gordon Gray]  
bill50cal Online content

short buss or not im still under it laughing

Hey Windy....since it's a short bus it won't hurt as long. laughing

the backwards tsr comes to mind and one year a section was closed north of 421 so it can be a mess to deal with.

Your right, you and I have talked a LOT about this ride and worked over options for the last section. There have been times (rides) when we would have to detour around it...and we have, but it's always convoluted and a pain to deal with.

this is a VERY valid point as the point man has NO idea what is happening farther back. that is exactly why I made the decision last year to pull in where I did as I had NO idea who was still with us and felt we needed to regroup ASAP

The only thing (yea right) I'll add is...I've always thought that you can't "lead" the ride from the front. It's hard to make decisions involving 30+ riders not knowing what's going on in the rear.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#544540 - 05/21/14 9:40 pm Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: bill50cal]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Windy,

I'm replying here to you about me showing up next year to keep Tom's yarn (wonderful it is) from being cluttered with my drama.

Yes....the more I think about it the more I realize that I consider each and every one of you guys and gals friends. I'll get to see some of you at the BIBR and some at Mike G's OSMR but for some of the others it'll be my only chance so I'll be there....not sure how and when other than a trip Thursday or Friday with Tom (and anybody else interested in a guided tour) to the belly of the viaduct.

But you'll see my knobby knees sometime during the weekend.

"Tire tracks all across your back....I can see you had your fun" Jimi Hendricks

Opie

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/21/14 9:41 pm.
#544541 - 05/21/14 9:44 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Which way did they go? How many of them were there? I MUST find them! I am their LEADER!! laughing

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. A guy I used to work for had that sign on his office door.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
#544559 - 05/21/14 11:21 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member

NC
Home & still enjoying the buzz from a great TSMR Mr. Gordon & all your support crew - big thanks!! To you all. bigt

Ben - thanks for a great slow group ride/pace. And it was my great pleasure to arrive back at the Inn - in day light, and more or less...with the same group of riders that I left lunch with!

Was great getting to meet/know better those of you who I barely met/got to visit with at my first TSMR last year, and I have added a few more new names & faces to the list of those I will be able to claim as recognizable next year.

All in all...was quite a fitting way to end several weeks of motorcycle travel & riding time - with the BSA International the preceding week... it has been extremely hard to come back to the "real" world after all this great bike time. smile

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
#544583 - 05/22/14 6:32 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Howard Inough Offline
BritBike Forum member
Howard Inough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
Mike G, Damnit....it think it's chummies, not chubbies. I need to review that video a few more times...ya know what I mean Bob. laughing

YES......OSMR is on the list....HIGH on the list. I'm going to do BIBR first then start working on my plans for the OSMR.

Rode the B44 all 1500 miles round trip last year..(and baby it was cold Sunday morning) plan on doing that again this year but......with a twist this time. The only hint I'll give is...I'm planning on riding the B44 to PA but riding a different bike for the ride. wink

THIS is the year for BSA.....Semper Gumby (aka Bill) has set the bar high and there's no way I can out do that...but in my own little way I'll try to at least do something special with a BSA this year.

See ya in PA chummies.....CHOWDA!!!!!! Gordon (aka Opie)

Hell yes!! That's right! BRAAAAAP!!

#544617 - 05/22/14 9:27 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: Graham Ham]  
wildbill Online content
BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Merry Point VA
Started on the errant TR6 when I got home and after chasing down a numbers of ideas, I found the problem and the bike started on the first kick. Initially, it looked like then Pazon ignition system had gone south. I swapped out the ignition module for the one on the 1967 TR120R and neither worked. Anyway to make a long story short, there was a loose and intermittent connection in the 49 year old ignition switch. A little solder and a reassembly and we are back in business.

I would like to thank Gordon and everyone else for a wonderful time and all the assistance. Sam and I had a great time and would like very much to return in 2015. It was a great ride with great people. Thanks again to all.

#544621 - 05/22/14 10:04 am Re: 2014 .....AAR [Re: wildbill]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
wildbill,

Gad it was something simple....not sure why our jumpers didn't work but I had a feeling it was something loose/broken. It was great to have you both and glad you had a good time in spite of the van ride.

Take care.....Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/22/14 10:12 am.
#544622 - 05/22/14 10:09 am Re: 2014 PLEASE STOP SENDING ME MONEY!!!! [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
I have a feeling I know where this started but fellows PLEASE stop sending me money...if you do send it I'm refunding it.

I had to back out of my pledge for Anna's fund blush frown this time around but since you guys and gals pitched in, you had it covered.

I'm okay....just ran a little short of what I planned on.

SO PLEASE STOP!!!!!! I love you guys and the thoughts are in the right place....but save it for a time when it's REALLY needed.

Hugs and refunds from NC.......OPie

#544633 - 05/22/14 10:35 am Re: 2014 PLEASE STOP SENDING ME MONEY!!!! [Re: Graham Ham]  
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
Train's rolling, Gordon. Get on it or get run over.
Jus saying

#544646 - 05/22/14 11:09 am Re: 2014 PLEASE STOP SENDING ME MONEY!!!! [Re: Graham Ham]  
David in Atlanta Offline
BritBike Forum member
David in Atlanta  Offline
BritBike Forum member

GA

David in Atlanta
73 BMW R75/5

http://tinyurl.com/beautiful-Anna

#544854 - 05/23/14 12:24 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member

NC
Hey Wild Bill - great sharing the last part of the ride back to the Inn with you. Who would have thought two people at TSMR would have Wallowa, OR & park service connections? Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences when next we meet.

RE: the last BRP stretch... I love that section of the ride... good wind down and it has a special place in my rather short lived TSMR memories. This said, definitely be nice to stop and enjoy a view/stretch the legs somewhere along the way (weather permitting of course), even though the slow speed & relative straightness does allow some extended vista enjoyment while riding.

Windy - thanks for agreeing to step in to help keep this iconic event rolling. Please count me in to help in anyway I can. I'm feeling a bit more confident now that I know where I'm going. grin

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
#544958 - 05/23/14 11:19 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: wildbill]  
Paul Sammut Offline
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Omaha, NE, USA
So glad you sorted out the problem, Wildbill. Sorry it couldn't be sorted roadside, but you got another chance to wrench on your Triumph. Always fun smile

Paul

'74 Commando
'75 T160 Trident
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
#545005 - 05/24/14 8:57 am Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
wildbill Online content
BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Merry Point VA
Paul

The short did not show up until I removed the side cover and separated the ignition switch from the cover. In hindsight I probably should have looked at the switch wires earlier. I generally try to use original parts as repop quality is sometimes pretty poor. Sometimes original stuff goes south too. I like to work on them anyway so its is okay in the long run. It takes awhile to sort out everything. Great ride. Enjoyed meeting everyone.

Bill

#545200 - 05/25/14 6:26 pm Re: 2014 ..... [Re: Graham Ham]  
Ben Strain R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ben Strain R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

SW Pa
Thanks to Windy at Shady Valley Campground I got home with truck and trailer yesterday at 8 PM. Had a relaxing week in Shady Valley meeting folks, waiting for the UPS man, breaking Windy's Massey-Ferguson, and making numerous trips over the mountain to fetch things and test the truck's transmission.

Ben

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.217s Queries: 15 (0.046s) Memory: 1.0089 MB (Peak: 1.3684 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 11:04:37 UTC