BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DeejayP999
DeejayP999
London, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,704 guests, and 529 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 98
Stuart 87
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
435,973 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,261
Posts631,968
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#386904 - 07/30/11 4:37 am So you reckon you're Amal smart !  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Well I thought I was reasonably savvy on AMAL carbs and overhauling!

That was until I got this email from one of our Guru Triple mates, that has just overhauled my #1 set of 626 Trident carbs and gantry !

Stuart,

I’ve finished the T150 complete carb set.

Some points I wish to explain.

The manifold plate the carbs bolt onto was bent by .100” and had to be straightened. I guess this was caused by bolting the manifold using the 2 centre bolts to the air filter plate too tightly by someone?

When you fit them don’t do the bolts up too tight please as it will bend again.

If bent again the carb bodies will distort also.

There should be lock nuts to secure the 2 x 5/16” bolts in place at filter plate.

# 3 float bowl needle seat was lose plus the gasket surface was badly pitted and would have only sucked air and not fuel for the idle circuit so I replaced it with a new bowl and needle seat.

All 3 slides were # 3 cutaway and not 3 ½ cutaway so I have fitted AMAL’s new Hard Anodized 3 ½ slides. These will never wear out, trust me, they are brilliant.

# 1 carb had a T160, 5 groove identification needle on the middle clip while # 2 & 3 had worn T150 needles but on the top clip position, and # 2 slide was .080” higher up at rest than the others, not good.

All of the 3 piano wires were bent beyond; well I don’t now what.

All of the float levels were set at 3/16” down way too low plus someone has heated and bent the plastic float needle tangs to try and obtain a correct float level. This should never be done.

I have replaced all 3 floats & float pins with new and re-set the floats to the correct level and fitted Viton Alloy float needles.

All of your main jets flowed much higher than they should have and were closer to 160 mains not 150 mains, so I fitted 3 x new flowed mains and 3 x 106 new needle jets including 3 x T150 new 2 groove identification needles. (T150)

All 3 carby top plates were bent so I straightened those and resurfaced them. All 3 x carby body gasket faces were re-surfaced including the float bowl gasket surfaces including the new one as they stupidly come not flat also.

It is very important the carbs can’t suck air here at the gasket face or else it won’t draw fuel from the bowl feed hole for the idle circuit.

All 3 welch plugs were removed and the mixing chamber under was bead blasted and cleaned; they were chockers with crap. Every carb and associated parts were also bead blasted and cleaned.

# 2 carb had an incorrect short Air Mixture Adjusting screw which would not have worked at all to adjust idle mixture and the others were badly pitted and rusty so I replaced all 3 screws with new O rings.

Your carbs were mounted with 1 3/8” factory O rings to the manifold plate but I’ve since learned the O ring receiver groove in the carby body is never deep enough and causes the carby flange to bow, so I have fitted gaskets to the carbs and not O rings, should seal better and not warp the flanges.

Your carby slide springs; well; while they were the correct light type of spring for a Triple they all varied in length greatly which meant one springs was not anywhere near long enough to be effective so I re-set these to 3 1/2 “ the correct free length.

I replaced your stainless steel spring washers on the 10-32 socket head screws with the correct steel type and removed your stainless 5/16” spring washers on the carby mounting bolts with flat AN washers and fitted 5/16” unf AN self locking nuts. Your 5/16” washers need too much pressure to work correctly plus they will bruise and scuff the bolt face plus the carbs should be fitted with self locking nuts not plain nuts and spring washers.

Remember the carbs are not Alloy but merely Pot Metal or almost Zinc in construction and need to be handled carefully or else they buckle.

All 3 slides are now set equal to each other and shouldn’t need further adjustment; the air screws are set at 1 ¼ turns out each so the only adjustment by you when hot is the final air screw adjustment and idle speed, but, I would try it at 1 ¼ turns out first and only adjust the idle speed screw.

However, if when you first start the bike from dead cold and it spits in the carbs if you have adjusted the air screws out to say 1 ½ to 1 ¾ turns out this means they should be screwed back in to richen the idle, that’s why I have them at 1 ¼ turns out.

If spitting occurs at idle it is Only the air adjuster screws need adjusting in and nothing else.

The throttle gantry bushes were ok so I left them alone to save you some money and only cleaned and re-greased them and fitted new circlips and washers including the correct gantry return spring retaining end washer with the correct item.

The carbies on the complete set are a mixture and are L15, 1969 Trident, R68, 1973-74 Trident and R66, 1973-74 Trident but that doesn’t matter as they were all 27mm bore carbs except someone had fitted rain hat ticklers to the L15 carb.

I haven’t done anything with the 3 lose carbs, do you want me to repair them?

I can supply 3 x re-sleeved Teflon coated 3 ½ slides for this set but it would have to be done first.

Fit new Rain Hat Ticklers.

Re-surface the carby bowl gasket face and manifold faces.

Bead blast all and remove and fit 3 x new 11/32” welch plugs to the mixing chamber.

Chase all threads and true up carby bodies.

Could be another $200.00 + or so, as I don’t have a firm price on the Teflon Coating, as I’ve only played with this surface treatment and wasn’t charged back then.

Let me know please.

ABSTINENCE;" He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bike. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me. "
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#387224 - 08/01/11 2:20 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jack Adams  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noblesville, IN
Stuart SS, I'm with you,as I'm pretty confident when it comes to getting Amals to work right, but DAMN! Jack

#388615 - 08/09/11 12:00 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
The Trident carbs turned up today .. Superb !

Beautiful finish and the throttle action with the new AMAL upgrade slides is excellent ~ Bloody nice job!!

Bob has done extensive tests with his own triples and he is returning <50> mpg plus ~ so looking for to a nice fuel consumption as well ~

ABSTINENCE;" He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bike. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me. "
#389184 - 08/12/11 9:15 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)

#401354 - 10/30/11 10:50 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Well some time later ~

Suffice to say ~ I finally got the rebuild carbs back from "Bob" ..

Originally I fitted the carb set and immediately hit a brick wall !

The bike ran like total CRAP @ So I ended up sending them back to "Bob" for further scrutiny!

Finally after about a month of debate and requests to check various aspects of my bike ~ another Mate, Steve R had removed the carbs off his T160 and so they put my carbs on his Trident , and GUESS WHAT !! ~

They did not work !

So they jointly worked on the carbs .. and got them running sweet ~ but they could not road test the carbs as a T150 gantry will not work on the T160 as it fouls on the rocker boxes ~

So anyway Steve rolls up several days later and Bob is packing them . .He 'demands' Bob put them on his own T150 before sending them back !!

So Bob relents and he does so . Still more issues !! But now he rode the bike around for about 3-4 days before repacking them !

So Steve and Bob jointly rang me last Saturday and we had a few chuckles between shyte stirring !

They were both so impressed with Bob's latest renovation job ( my carbs) that they felt they should just send an earlier set that Bob had done~ But glad to sasy ~~ they sent mine back !

Bob road tested his earlier renov carbs and he returned 48.8 MPG as opposed to the standard Amals @ < 35 mpg> on a good day ~ Plus he reckons they will never wear out !

I have been very methodical about the R&R ~ and modified the breather .. Although I think I will remove the throttle cable can be seen it is a little kinked in the photo.

And finally after issues and heavy rain I took the bike out and they are superb!

Starts idles from the get -go and perform as one would hope !

Bob had done tests with his previous / own set and proven to get 48 mpg out of a set of AMAL 626's on a Trident !!

Doesn't get much better than that !!!

#451463 - 08/28/12 8:25 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
kootbiker Offline
BritBike Forum member
kootbiker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia Canada
My 69 T150 only has 1 threaded pilot jet on the right carb and no threaded pilot jets on the other two carbs. Can anyone explain the logic behind this.

#451519 - 08/29/12 7:06 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: kootbiker]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: kootbiker
My 69 T150 only has 1 threaded pilot jet on the right carb and no threaded pilot jets on the other two carbs. Can anyone explain the logic behind this.

It isn't logical, or correct afaik. Very early Concentrics for four-stroke engines had threaded pilot jets in the bottom of the carb. body but these caused problems so the pilot jet was changed to pressed-in and moved to a position opposite the air screw; afaik, these changes had been made by the time even the earliest '69 T150's (which yours isn't) were built.

One reason a later carb. might have a screw-in pilot jet is the original opposite the air screw has been damaged by a p.o. trying to clean it (they block easily and are difficult to access through the air screw hole) and the screwed-in one is a replacement. Fwiw, I access the pilot jets by drilling through the body over the jet carefully (the jet is just under the cast-in cone); I drill with something like a 4mm bit, then I can tap the hole M5 and close it with a grub screw.

Hth.

Regards,

#451560 - 08/29/12 2:44 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart]  
kootbiker Offline
BritBike Forum member
kootbiker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia Canada
This is not the pilot air/fuel jet by the air mixing
screw but the fuel only jet inline of the float bowl fuel passage way.

#451582 - 08/29/12 4:59 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: kootbiker]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: kootbiker
the pilot air/fuel jet

No such thing.

Look at the bottom of a Concentric body. You can see the bottoms of two cast-in channels that run from the air side of the carb. towards the engine but actually terminate in a third channel that runs across the carb. body on the engine side of the main and needle jets.

One of the channels that runs from the air side of the carb. has a hole in it which'll be into the float bowl when it's fitted; at the air side of the carb., this channel will be blocked off. By definition therefore, this can have only fuel in it.

In most Concentrics, you will find the Pilot Jet at the junction of the above channel and the one running across the body. By definition therefore, the Pilot Jet meters fuel only.

The channel that runs from the air side of the carb. that doesn't have a hole in it that'd be covered by the float bowl isn't blocked at the air side of the carb. By definition therefore, this can have only air in it.

Where it meets the channel across the body is the Air Screw. By definition therefore, the Air Screw meters air only.

In the bottom of the main carb. venturi, where the engine side of the slide seats when the throttle is shut, are two tiny holes, one each side of the slide seat. If you look closely, you'll note the two tiny holes correspond with the centre of the cast-in channel between the Pilot Jet and the Air Screw. The Pilot Jet having metered the fuel and the Air Screw having metered the air, it is this channel that contains the pilot air/fuel mixture, that can exit into the main venturi on the engine side of the slide, so the engine keeps running when the throttle is shut.

You'll note that I wrote above, "one of the channels that runs from the air side of the carb. has a hole in it which'll be into the float bowl when it's fitted", "by definition therefore, this can have only fuel in it" and "in most Concentrics, you will find the pilot jet at the junction of the above channel and the one running across the body". When Concentrics were introduced, the pilot jet was screwed into that "hole in it which'll be into the float bowl". However, iirc it was found that tickover was not reliable on four-stroke engines with the pilot jet in that position; certainly there was a good reason that it was moved to the less-accessible position of the junction of the two cast-in channels. frown

Hence the carb. you have with a screwed-in pilot jet in its bottom is:-

. either a very early Concentric body;

. or a body intended for a two-stroke;

. or a body that has had the original pilot jet - at the junction of the two cast-in channels - damaged and someone has attempted to 'rescue' the body by screwing another pilot jet into the bottom of the body.

Btw, at the risk of telling you something you know already, all triples were fitted with AMAL 626 Concentric bodies that'd had the main venturi opened out to 27mm i.d. Original AMAL bodies are denoted by a stamped 'A' to the left of the cast '626'; bodies by the first AMAL licencee - Grosvenor Works - had the right-most '6' overstamped with a '7'; not sure what the current AMAL licencee - Burlen Fuel Systems - does.

The stamped number with 'L' or 'R' under the 'A626', '627', etc. will tell you exactly which model the carb. was built for originally, unless it's 'R300' or 'L301' which were 'general service' carbs. supplied by AMAL to dealers for fitting to any bike.

Hth.

Regards,

#451583 - 08/29/12 5:08 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart]  
kootbiker Offline
BritBike Forum member
kootbiker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia Canada
According to the AMAL website it's a two-stroke carb,so somehow this bike came with one mixmatched carb. All three have the A626 ID mark. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

#451592 - 08/29/12 6:53 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
All bodies that were machined on the carousel, a multi stage machining center, have the "two-stroke" pilot jet hole threaded. (As a side note: Burlen abandoned the carousel when they moved production).

So just because there is a jet in the threaded hole does not make it a "two-stroke" carburetor. On the four stroke bodies the threaded hole was supposed to be "upset" so that it would be hard to screw in a pilot jet. That deformation of the threads is easily overcome and someone can screw in a pilot jet into a body that also has a pressed in jet.

Usually a two stroke carburetor will have a slanted spray tube. And yes the brass bits and needle are different. Yes, some T150 carbs came with a slanted spray tube , but they are a bit different.

#451736 - 08/30/12 3:36 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Interesting stuff.
FWIW: One of the 930's which were on my A65 when I bought it had a screwed-in pilot jet, one did not. Both of them had the pressed-in jet. DPO strikes again. laughing
As I remember, my '74 T150v had the slanted spray tubes.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#452000 - 09/01/12 5:30 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: DavidP]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Huh~

Since that appeared I have recently have had some serious developments regarding these Super carbs

I believe I have an AMAL bottom end issue with my Trident ~ but is slightly complicated ~

I believe I need to put the bike on a Dyno

The carbs went progressively to crap ~ and I checked everything ~ tappets ~ static and dynamic timing ~ replaced the plugs ~ only thing I have not done is replace the coils ~

The bike was bogging on initial throttle opening ~ now I have on going clutch issues, BUT!

The bike runs fine above stage one ~ But initially it would actually misfire on one cylinder at just cracking the throttle on stage one. I tweaked the carbs to over come this ~

It idles well!

It would not pull up our driveway which is a fairly steep incline unless I take a run at it and give it virtually ½- plus throttle ~

But it finally would not even pull away from our driveway last time the boys picked me up to go the Sunday Classic meet ~ I had to HAMMER the throttle and really thrash the clutch ~

So I pulled the carbs off ~ (these being the Super build carbs ~ with anodised slides and precision setting and tensions ~)

I replaced them with a set I built myself. The bike was instantly transformed! Even the exhaust note at idle was completely changed ~

So rather rather than upset any of “Bob’s” precision settings I removed the top linkage shaft and removed the top hats with slides intact~

Both carbs are stock; all new identical service parts, all jets, needles etc in older bodies ~

The circlip / needle were set at the third or bottom slot. I reset this to the middle which I know my own build set are!

I refitted them and then retuned ~ I left the air filter off and then took the bike for a run and it is HOWLING ~ Blew me away at the result !! It was flying!

Then I refitted the stock filter and the result was the edge was off the performance! (So I have ordered a K&N filter to suit. It is yet to arrive. )

Now ~ the bike pulls away far better from standing and performs well at the mid to top range ~ I generally ride at 4500- 5500 rev range ~

But here is the clanger ~ It still struggles to pull up our driveway and has an inherent spluttering through the exhaust ~ on low revs !

It does not miss ~ or back fire in any way ~ just this annoying “farting” – spluttering~ through the mufflers.

I am running T120 mufflers ~ should be A65 really as they have a different back pressure issue as in the T150T Beauty kit. I was concerned about back pressure but that is only effected on high end (??) And it has Viking Big Bore pipes ~

I think as said I need to run it on a dyno and exhaust gas analyser!

Any thoughts?

#452209 - 09/02/12 4:07 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Do your new carbs have the slanted hoods (for lack of a better term) on the spray tubes? AIUI, these increase the vacuum across the top of the jets at lower rpm, enriching the mix. This effect lessens at higher throttle openings.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#452228 - 09/02/12 8:22 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: DavidP]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
David

They have the stock angled tube ` ~

But then so do my own build set which run well ! ? As I see it there has to be an issue with the "Super carbs"

TTriton asked if the alternator was OK ~ I checked the voltage this morning and it was 12.50 volts residual ~ and the bike has not been run this Weds last ~

And given the Tri-Spark will run at 4 volts ~ I don't see the issue there ~

I have replaced the Tri-Spark master module as it was faulty is in the ignition would cut out at low revs ~ eg; exiting a suburban street corner ~

#452236 - 09/02/12 9:46 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Is this a bike you've modified the inlet ports on? I haven't read all the stuff, I must confess.

Here's an experiment. Open up the inlet valve clearances to 10 thou and try to get up your driveway.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#452456 - 09/03/12 7:11 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: triton thrasher]  
DoubleDiamond Offline
BritBike Forum member
DoubleDiamond  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hampshire, England
How far open from the fully screwed closed position (approximately) are your pilot mixture screws?

BSA: '71 B175; '68 B25; '71 A65; '71 A75
Triumph: '87 T140; '72 T150v
#452955 - 09/05/12 3:35 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
OKay ~ Taken the option of removing the top caps ~ so I do not upset any of the "precision setting elsewhere".

Raised the clip to the top slot on the needles ~

Refitted just now ~ retuned to suit (with cooling fan up front.)

Even more crisper exhaust note ~ throttle response very sharp .. idles superbly~ not quite as lumpy as previous two settings .

No lumpy firing just off idle ~ seems smooth as anticipated !

Weather has returned to Winter ~ raining ~ windy ~

#452978 - 09/05/12 6:59 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Now ~

I Just took the bike out despite the drizzle/rain ~ set on the top groove notch ~

Totally hopeless ~ absolute ~ disaster ~ would not run as soon as it faced a rise or even acceleration ~ ( Great fun in the rain! NOT! )

I never even tried to go up the drive but went to the back fence neighbour’s drive way which is on higher ground to our place ~ and came back to the garage across the immediate neighbours front lawn !

And yes - it is like starting off in second gear ! ( I also rechecked gear box sequence both on the road and now in the garage by hand ~ )

So I will refit to the centre notch the same as my own set ! I figured the top notch would never work !

I will refit, & recheck headers for leaks ~ reseal up as required ~

#453176 - 09/06/12 8:22 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Robin Giesbrecht Offline
BritBike Forum member
Robin Giesbrecht  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
I don't mean to be a know it all or say that any advice above is wrong but it would seem to me that maybe you have to step back and look at the whole situation again. Carb problems can mimic ignition problems and vice versa. It certainly seems like you have spent a lot of money and time on the carbs, more money than I have ever spent and mine always work really well, whether they are AMAL, Dellorto, Mikuni, etc..Vacuum leaks can wreak havoc also. And this is all assuming your engine is very healthy. Good luck.

#453186 - 09/06/12 10:55 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Robin Giesbrecht]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Robin

Hi

Yes ask my better half and she will agree I have far to much cash to spend on my bikes ~

The engine is new ~ and not abused ~ plug colours are excellent with typical high octane ULP colours.. ( that is black on the outer body due to the additives in ULP and clean clour on the centre electrodes. )

Plus a new Tri-Spark module ~ After yesterdays horror run with the clip set to the top notch of the needle. I have refitted my own build carbies and tuned to run ~

(As it was raining I have delayed any further test till the weekend when we are expecting good weather ~ )

So planning to give my own built carbs ab extended run and reset the Super carbs to the middle notch and eventually refit them ~ .

#453246 - 09/06/12 7:20 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Robin Giesbrecht Offline
BritBike Forum member
Robin Giesbrecht  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Something else to be noted is to try and eliminate as many problem areas as possible. What I mean is there are so many variables when tuning an engine and you just never know.Some things are very simple. You swapped out the carbs. You ran it without air filters. Have you tried running it without silencers? Just to see if there is any difference and it eliminates that problem area. Got another set of coils sitting around? When nothing seems to be working it is sometimes worth it to just run through these scenarios.Have you checked the voltage of the battery when running at idle or low rpm? I know the TriSpark is supposed to work at low voltages but...

#453329 - 09/07/12 1:02 pm Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Robin Giesbrecht]  
snibor Offline
BritBike Forum member
snibor  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Brisbane Australia
stuart

one word for you mate ... Dyno ... its the only place to really sort out tuning ... on the road it just takes to long and to many variables ..
dynos are not just for ego stroking those who want to brag about how much HP they have ... a skilled dyno guy will get your mixtures and ignition spot on right through the rev range and you can change to a different set of carbs to see the outcome is as well ...of course most of the dyno operators will expect you to do the work making changes based on his advice ...

take a bunch of main jets to test with and be prepared to do a few quick needle changes on the slots ...

on the Manx R3 we ended up dropping the mains by 4 sizes and dropping the needles to the lowest position ... also ended up with the ignition set at 32degrees fully advanced ... its 38 degrees as a stock setting .... with 38degrees the HP dropped off going past 8500 ... with the ignition at 32degrees max HP was delivered at 8250 and flat lined at Max HP through to 9000 .. which is perfect .. also a nice curve right from 4000 on ... a bit of a dip at 3500 where the needle kicks in to much ..
of course a race bike and we are not interested in ticking over at traffic lights so different setup.

HTH

steve

#453393 - 09/08/12 12:24 am Re: So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: snibor]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)

Quote:
one word for you mate ... Dyno ...

Hey Stranger ~ long time no see / hear.. Seems your life is locked into the fast lane ~ Must be time you returned to the real World of Sunny QLD ~ grin laughing

I have been again toying with the Dyno concept ~ have to see if there is one around here or it is down to Cairns ~

I mean though I am just SO close to a result ~

Putting the clip to the (stock) centre clip transformed the bike.. But WHY did it change after you and Bob worked on them~

The only thing I have NOT changed are the coils ~ and that includes the new Tri-Spark module ~

The only issue now ~ ( which is a hell of a "Only") ~ pulling up the driveway like it did previously on the very first ride as posted on U-Tube ~

And of course the popping on acceleration thru the zorsts ~

I am just about to take it out again with my own build carbs ~

Bob is considering altitude again ay 2000 ft~

Weds I went out ~ and bugger me I know I just bought new dri -rider boots but this getting caught in rain is becoming a joke !! beerchug

Anyway given my own build work out I will regardless being putting the Super carbs back to the middle notch. (BTW~ Bob is adamant he put the clip to the middle notch but with all I know what I found ~ !)

Yes I have checked the coils connection and polarity, the voltage at the battery is 12.5 standing after 4 days ~ yet to check charge~

Plug leads & caps are all new with the original Tri_spark kit supplied by Steve Kelly ~

#453417 - 09/08/12 3:26 am So you reckon you're Amal smart ! [Re: Stuart SS]  
Stuart SS Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart SS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia (FNQ)
Okay

Saturday afternoon ~ 1300 hrs.
Just returned from my latest road test.

I put in about 50-60kilometres (My bike has a metric GPS Speedo!)

I fitted my own rebuild carbs, while not the excellence of Bob's skill, are certainly nothing to be ashamed of either IMO ~ and are totally stock AMAL 626 by the workshop manual to suit the 750 Triple.

This included extensive hill country and lots of twists turns. Additionally it included highway cycle , mostly tarred road , town and even around 5 kilometres of dirt~ including again lots of hills ~

Fine Sunny day, around guesstimate 70% humidity~ no dry lips but dry!

First ~ Fires first kick ~ idle is great, even cold! No fluttering or spluttering at ANY levels~

I fitted my pod filters ~

The performance is excellent~ accelerates superbly~

Now when first started and run there was no popping from the exhaust~

But as I went on there was a little but not so bad.. I am thinking Bob could be right and I still have some small exhaust leaks causing the popping. Will look into it ! But I can put up with that level~ No where near as much as my Commando and I know that it has leaks ..

(I Challenge anyone to show me a balanced pipe Commando that is sealed 100%)

But overall the bike is pleasure to ride and I did not have to wrestle with it at all ~ I deliberately endeavoured to ride in a comfort rather than race mode.

The bike is smooth and pleasant at ALL levels ~

I stretched it out after about 5 klicks and pushed with ease to 145 kmh ~

No problems ~

NOW for the BIGGY!!

I rode out the highway and about another 5 klicks out there is a sweeping down hill turn on the highway ~ and about at the bottom there is a right hand turn off and the road immediately goes into a steep uphill climb ~

I turned into this and brought the bike to a slow rolling first engagement that I would do at home ~ then endeavoured to climb this hill which s a lot steeper than our driveway~

It pulled up the hill with NO effort or complaint in the least!

So I continued along this road which went to gravel and I figured would be another test of engine tractability/ flexibility ~

So completed another 5 K in 2-3 gear without struggle or wrestling ~

Finally I returned to base and again.. the DRIVEWAY !

I brought to a rolling first gear and then up it went .. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL ~ beerchug clap beerchug

So NOW?

Put the Super carbs back to the centre slot ~ and check th e headers and mufflers for leaks ~

I plan on gleaning some riding pleasure from this beast first!
Then I will refit and play around with them after all i paid big dollars

(Although I bet you could NOT buy new Amals of such a high standard and guaranteed to never wear out fo rthe same money ! )

Last edited by Stuart SS; 09/09/12 1:29 am.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.932s Queries: 16 (0.096s) Memory: 1.0226 MB (Peak: 1.4090 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-19 21:50:50 UTC