BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Anders_t120
Anders_t120
Gotland Sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
206 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,544 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,493 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts632,077
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#444266 - 07/12/12 12:42 am Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
pachy Offline
BritBike Forum member
pachy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Originally Posted By: eddiebrannan

You may have working levers but the fact remains the smaller shaft (compared with Triumph's) with the channel down the middle for the pinchbolt leaves the bare minimum of shaft-lever contact area. It's not good design, given the amount of repeated stress this part sees, especially if the bike is, like mine, ridden daily.

What are you talking about when you say "bare minimum of contact area" its EXACTLY the same amount of contact area as the Triumph type !! :-D

Fact is the shafts probably had 40 plus years of use & now getting "used daily" & that's your idea of a bad design ?

Ive had this type of lever on bikes since the 1970's if they are never used with detectable play at the joint they last a good long time. BSA saw no reason not to fit them on the triples also.

The BSA type deters people persevering with worn out parts whereas the triumph type allows prelonged use of the worn out parts.

There's a worrying trend here for deciding to redesign things that in original form may well have lasted 10 or 20yrs from new.

Last edited by pachy; 07/12/12 12:44 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#444301 - 07/12/12 10:18 am Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
eddiebrannan Offline
BritBike Forum member
eddiebrannan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NEW YORK
You're right, of course. I'm just frustrated at the damage that has been done by a previous owner and mis-placing the blame.

Anyway, this is what I have to work with, including worn splines, and a cotter bolt hole drilled at an angle! (that bolt's only in there to demonstrate the angle of the drilling.

And this is what I am hoping may be enough of a solution to get me the 90 miles home. The lower lever is the replacement piece I bought. The upper, with real *manly* splines, I am hoping will get enough of a bite on what remains of the shaft's splines to get me back. Only thing is it doglegs out to go round a much wider engine casing and the toe area is offset about 2.5". But hopefully it will get me and the bike back to the shop to replace the shaft.

I'm also going to buy a small vice grip and stick it in my back pocket. Worse case scenario that can be enough of a shifter lever to limp home.

Last edited by eddiebrannan; 07/12/12 10:22 am.
#444332 - 07/12/12 2:00 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
pachy Offline
BritBike Forum member
pachy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Ok so now lets look at a suitable bodge, if I was in your shoes & wanted it to work but will be replacing shaft & lever in the near future I would simply mig weld a blob on the end fusing the correctly placed lever to the shaft.

That can easily be ground off & rewelded whenever you want the lever off, until new parts are sourced.

#444346 - 07/12/12 3:22 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: pachy]  
eddiebrannan Offline
BritBike Forum member
eddiebrannan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NEW YORK
Yes I am aware of that bodge. Discussed it with the guy who owns the shop I use (6th St Specials around the corner from me). Unfortunately the bike is 90 miles away, and I don't possess a welder, so I am hoping that upper lever in the photo will provide enough grip to get the bike back to the city.

However, were I to borrow a welder, I should grind off the plating on the lever where I am going to weld the blob, correct?

#444350 - 07/12/12 3:52 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
pachy Offline
BritBike Forum member
pachy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
I would clean away all oil/grease, fit & tighten as much as poss. Then
sweep across the face of the shaft & lever with a grinder yes.

I saw one Guy riding a bike after losing a gear lever with a set of vise grips as a lever :-D

#444353 - 07/12/12 4:04 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
eddiebrannan Offline
BritBike Forum member
eddiebrannan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NEW YORK
Yeah as it stands I am currently… shafted.

I'm assuming "slime cutters" is an over enthusiastic spellchecker smile

Yes, the splines on the lever I bought are lousy compared to the upper one. Shockingly so.

Last edited by eddiebrannan; 07/12/12 4:07 pm.
#444370 - 07/12/12 6:08 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
eddiebrannan Offline
BritBike Forum member
eddiebrannan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NEW YORK
in this case perfectly so!

#444487 - 07/13/12 10:04 am Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Now if you are just trying to do some thing to get you home and you are going to replace the gearshaft shaft.
1) pop a pair of small vice grip pliers on there and be gentle with the gear changes. I have done this several times when on a ride with the club when some ones gear change lever falls off about ones every year or two.

2) put the lever on loosly then tap some very thin panel pins between the shaft & the lever before you tighten it up. panel pins are the tiny nails that used to be in backs panels of furnature before staples were used.

3) Good old coke cans,
Open the lever out a bit further by jamming a screwdriver into the slot.
Cut a coke can ( beer cans work better ) shim to go around the shaft.
slip the lever on, pull out the screw driver and tighten the bolt.

4) liquid metal.
Unlike the top 3 this one I have never seen in use but others swear it does work. Similar to the coke can shim. Spread the lever, coat the shaft with liquid metal, put the lever on. GO have a beer ( or 3 ) while the filler hardens the pull out the screwdriver and tighten the pinch bolt.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#444512 - 07/13/12 2:47 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: BSA_WM20]  
pachy Offline
BritBike Forum member
pachy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Well I did mention vice grips/pliers a few posts back, its an extremely good get you home fix, we used to call them Mole Grips aswell but what ever you want to call them,the curved jaw ones do a good job.

#444644 - 07/14/12 3:04 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
HillbillyBarr Online content
BritBike Forum member
HillbillyBarr  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
I just got a 68 Victor and it has the problem with the shifter as y'all mentioned. It would appear to me the problem is the hole's a bit too big on the shifter and the metal a bit too hard to compress. What if one made the slit longer on the shifter so the pinchbolt would have a easier time of compressin it? Or my other idea is to cut the shifter lever forward of the bottom to the slit therefore allowin the piece to compress to the shaft? I've got 2 shift levers, neither fit so I'm up to tryin somethin as vicegrips won't compress mine enough to work. Gene

#444724 - 07/15/12 6:15 am Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
I think Mole was the original brand name, my old man had a pair of genuine "Mole " grips. Oh how I wrecked everything with them.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#444732 - 07/15/12 7:47 am Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: ]  
LarryLebel Online content
BritBike Forum member
LarryLebel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Canada
In spanish speaking South America they're called "caimens".

#444810 - 07/15/12 9:31 pm Re: Annoying cheapo replacement shifter lever [Re: eddiebrannan]  
eddiebrannan Offline
BritBike Forum member
eddiebrannan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NEW YORK
i too also mentioned the vice/mole grip bodge, underneath the last image i posted.

i grew up calling em mole grips too. and an adjustable wrench was always an AJ.

london in the 70s.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.118s Queries: 16 (0.007s) Memory: 0.8933 MB (Peak: 1.1168 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 07:48:18 UTC