BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,775 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,552 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,264
Posts632,045
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#443449 - 07/06/12 2:12 pm A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query  
Mattsta Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mattsta  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey UK
I'm just wonderring if I have missed something here.

When the rear brake pedal return spring is fitted, the rear brake pedal springs upwards until it is stopped by the footrest carrier. However this angle is all wrong and leaves the foot pedal far too high for comfortable operation. It also rotates the cross-over shaft clockwise when viewed from the drive side of the machine and the cable pops out of the end of the brake operating arm fitted to the timing side of the crossover shaft.......DOH!

It looks like there should be some kind of stop fitted somewhere but I can't find any reference to one.

One for Beezageeza maybe???

1952 Triumph T100 in a BSA A7 Frame
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#443483 - 07/06/12 6:00 pm Re: A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query [Re: Mattsta]  
photobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
photobob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK Tyne & Wear

This is a photo of my A10 rear brake setuphope it helps.

#443500 - 07/06/12 8:20 pm Re: A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query [Re: Mattsta]  
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezageezauk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North East England
Hi Mattsta,

I'm sure that the A7/A10's standard set-up doesn't have any form of stop fitted. However, I could maybe offer a couple of suggestions for you to check out or try.

First of all check the height of your footrests. The original ones are on a splined shaft and with the bike on the centre stand they should measure about 12 inches from the ground to the centre of the rubber. Using this as a gauge the brake pedal should automatically settle in a comfortable position.

The brake lever on the timing side of the crossover shaft is also on a spline that enables it to be adjusted (to a certain extent) to suit the free play length and adjuster on the cable. This normally points slightly towards the rear of the bike and should be in a vertical position when the brake is operated.

Now then, to complicate matters a bit, the rear brakes before 1960 had the brake operating lever working from the upper part of the brake drum and the 1960 onwards models from the lower part of the brake drum. Because of this difference there were two different brake cables. 42-7032 for the earlier models and 42-7042 for the later ones. These had a difference in the overerall length and free play and were not interchangeable. You need to determine if you have the correct one. The part numbers are so close that even though I've ordered cables by the part number I've actually been sent the wrong one.

Try setting your rear brake up using these perameters and see if you get an improvement.

Beezageezauk.

#443568 - 07/07/12 7:55 am Re: A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query [Re: beezageezauk]  
Mattsta Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mattsta  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey UK
Originally Posted By: beezageezauk
Hi Mattsta,

I'm sure that the A7/A10's standard set-up doesn't have any form of stop fitted. However, I could maybe offer a couple of suggestions for you to check out or try.

First of all check the height of your footrests. The original ones are on a splined shaft and with the bike on the centre stand they should measure about 12 inches from the ground to the centre of the rubber. Using this as a gauge the brake pedal should automatically settle in a comfortable position.

The brake lever on the timing side of the crossover shaft is also on a spline that enables it to be adjusted (to a certain extent) to suit the free play length and adjuster on the cable. This normally points slightly towards the rear of the bike and should be in a vertical position when the brake is operated.

Now then, to complicate matters a bit, the rear brakes before 1960 had the brake operating lever working from the upper part of the brake drum and the 1960 onwards models from the lower part of the brake drum. Because of this difference there were two different brake cables. 42-7032 for the earlier models and 42-7042 for the later ones. These had a difference in the overerall length and free play and were not interchangeable. You need to determine if you have the correct one. The part numbers are so close that even though I've ordered cables by the part number I've actually been sent the wrong one.

Try setting your rear brake up using these perameters and see if you get an improvement.

Beezageezauk.

Hi BG

Thanks for that. I'm having the rear brake return spring modified. You might remember that I posted a thread querying the shape of my rear brake pedal. I think it has been heated up and bent into a different shape at some point in the bike's history. I think this might be the root of the problem

Some time ago, you posted a photo of the way the rear brake spring is fitted but I can't find it on the forum. I'd really appreciate it if you can find it and repost it

Cheers

Matt

#443570 - 07/07/12 8:43 am Re: A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query [Re: Mattsta]  
beezageezauk Offline
BritBike Forum member
beezageezauk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North East England

Happy to oblige.

Beezageezauk.

#443575 - 07/07/12 10:32 am Re: A7/A10 cross over shaft rear brake query [Re: beezageezauk]  
Mattsta Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mattsta  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Surrey UK
Thanks BG! pint

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.290s Queries: 15 (0.057s) Memory: 0.8302 MB (Peak: 0.9868 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 17:22:30 UTC