BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron C
Ron C
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,797 guests, and 537 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,348 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,274
Posts632,183
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#437364 - 05/30/12 8:51 am 59 indian hounds arrow help  
re indian guy Offline
BritBike Forum member
re indian guy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
Guys
I am trying to put together a 59 hounds arrow from parts, and am lacking any good pics or any other owners to ask. The Indian specifications say it has a 21" front wheel with a full width hub and single 6" brake - which would make it a standard road crusader hub from the period, but all the photos I have seen so far show a 21" or maybe 19" front with the earlier cast iron half width hub. The other tricky bit is the toolbox - did they make any mods to the right side because of the high pipe?... and are the lids flat or curved?

thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#437600 - 05/31/12 6:32 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
rotorwrench Offline
BritBike Forum member
rotorwrench  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Antonio, Texas
I know there was a smaller tool box made for the smaller models. They look just like the larger version except the scaled down just a bit. The lids were rounded just like the larger ones from 57 on. As for the wheel, I just don't have enough info on the smaller singles to be of much help. Indian was bad about sales photographs. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about that. The sales staff in Springfield was big on brushed illustrations and short on good photos.

#437688 - 06/01/12 10:55 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: rotorwrench]  
re indian guy Offline
BritBike Forum member
re indian guy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
yes, i have the toolbox. Unfortunately, as you say Indian were not doing much in the way of brochures. I have seen specification sheets which seem to have drawings/retouched photos on the front, and they are larger than those used in the 59 catalogue, but I've only got a poor photocopy of one.
As I call it subject to more evidence, the 59 Fire Arrow has the flat toolbox covers of the Clipper, and the Hounds Arrow has the curved lids from the Crusader.

#437941 - 06/02/12 4:59 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
RE UK Offline
BritBike Forum member
RE UK  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Buckinghamshire UK
I have a parts book for the '59 Hounds Arrow/Fire Arrow. I have uploaded a copy to the Yahoo Crusader Technical Group. If you join up you will be able to see it.

According to the parts book the front wheel rim is a WM2 17" and the Toolbox is the standard early Crusader type with flat covers.

Hitchcock's Motorcycles in the UK have the parts book for sale on their website.

Bill

Last edited by RE UK; 06/02/12 5:14 pm.
#438010 - 06/03/12 1:34 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: RE UK]  
re indian guy Offline
BritBike Forum member
re indian guy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
thanks Bill, I have the "official" Indian parts book for it - and like many of the RE/Indian books it is mostly a mis-direction. The 17" wheels and sidecovers are for the Fire Arrow. the scrambler Hounds Arrow doesn't get a mention, except on the front cover.

A parts book for a later crusader based scrambler or trials bike would be of more use I expect.

#438110 - 06/03/12 2:03 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
RE UK Offline
BritBike Forum member
RE UK  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Buckinghamshire UK
As I understand things, there are no parts books for the Trials or Fireball Scrambler.

The Fire Arrow/Hounds Arrow parts book is not entirely wrong. They do, for instance, have separate parts for the dual seat/saddle and the mudguard carrier for the two models (although not illustrated). I also tend to believe that the toolbox arrangement is the same between the two models with a medium level exhaust on the Hounds Arrow that allows for the use of the flatter cover over the air filter. If you haven't seen it, there is a reasonable picture of the right hand side of the machine in book "Royal Enfield - By Miles the Best" by Gordon May, available from RoyalEnfieldbooks.com although the picture isn't good enough to warrant buying the book for this alone.

The UK/US Trials/Fireball Scrambler models do have a cut down tool box without the lid and just a plain cover over the air filter element.

Bill

#438151 - 06/03/12 5:57 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
rotorwrench Offline
BritBike Forum member
rotorwrench  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Antonio, Texas
Gordon did the best he could with what he had to work with and he got pretty close all in all. He had help from some long time enthusiasts with pictures & illustrations. I've been futzing around with these things for quite a few years and there is still a lot I don't know about them. Most of the old timers that sold these things back in the day are gone now but some had there kids involved and they are still around. Beno Rodi is one. Here is a link to his site: http://www.royal-enfield.net/rodi/
Sam Avellino's son finally sold out to Hitchcock's.

I need to go back over to visit the guy that started the REOK/US and see if he still remembers any of this stuff. I bought a bunch of his old part inventory when he deciced to retire from the RE-Indian obsession. I bet he still has some of his collection. He had a lot of brand new NOS stuff that he bought from hoarders & old dealerships over the years.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06/03/12 6:09 pm.
#438253 - 06/04/12 7:07 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: RE UK]  
re indian guy Offline
BritBike Forum member
re indian guy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
your upload manual is the same as mine. I'd like to know what the solo saddle parts look like, as I have seen a saddle clip (different part number) that was used on the 350 Clipper that looks like it may work. Yes, I have Gordon's book, but neither he or I have any other pics of the hounds arrow - the left side may remain a mystery..

#438273 - 06/04/12 10:02 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
obsolete Offline
BritBike Forum member
obsolete  Offline
BritBike Forum member

huntsville ont. canada
Talk to Roy MacMillan . He has done some research on the Trials type Crusader and built one for himself and part of one for me . The box on mine has only one cover . The exhaust side being cut down and no lid . The cover on the other side is rounded , like a typical Crusader . Front wheel is 21" . Not sure how this shapes up on the Indian badged models as they have some of their own quirks .
Rally time is fast approaching . John Ruff

1959 Constellation
1968 MK 1A Interceptor
1960 Pashley
1958 Crusader
1962 Super Five
1967 Continental GT
1959 Big Head Fury/Westerner
195? 500 Bullet Woodsman/Westerner ? #6655
1950 Model RE
1946 Model RE
1950 Model G
1955 250 Clipper
#438279 - 06/04/12 10:38 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
Rohan Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rohan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Oztralia
There is what is a said to be 59 Hounds Arrow bits for sale - although I don't see how to contact there anywhere...

http://www.androidtabletratings.com/k/?v...w+Royal+Enfield

P.S. It seems to be pulling these off eBay somewhere, but its not obvious where ???

#438350 - 06/04/12 5:19 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
RE UK Offline
BritBike Forum member
RE UK  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Buckinghamshire UK
If by saddle clip you mean what the parts book calls the "Saddle Link" P/N 43008 then it is available from Hitchcock's and I bought one for my Trials lookalike. It connects from the head steady mounting (with a couple of spacers) to the front of the saddle, encircling the frame tube. What I also think I found out was that Enfield did not use Lycett saddles like most manufacturers but one made by Mansfield. I don't know if the mountings are different. Also, the springs at the back of the saddle connect to lugs welded to the rear mudguard carrier. I've not found or seen one of these carriers in the flesh yet.

Bill

#438364 - 06/04/12 6:43 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: Rohan]  
RE UK Offline
BritBike Forum member
RE UK  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Buckinghamshire UK
I've found the item on eBay. It is item number: 120899653338 and the auction ended in April. However, what there is of the bike looks like a Fire Arrow and not a Hounds Arrow.

Bill

#438405 - 06/04/12 10:55 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
rotorwrench Offline
BritBike Forum member
rotorwrench  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Antonio, Texas
Those advertising grabbers pull stuff off E-Pay and hold on to it long after the stuff has been sold. They use Google to sell their own junk and they find ways like this to hook people onto their site. There are probably hundreds of similar sites like this out there.

#438465 - 06/05/12 4:36 am Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: RE UK]  
re indian guy Offline
BritBike Forum member
re indian guy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

australia
Hi Bill
thanks for this info! I asked Allan at Hitchcocks about this problem only a few weeks ago, and he pointed me to a completely different part, which they hadn't in stock. The maddening thing is I just received my order from them - looks like I'll be chasing it up with another order. Have you any pics of the setup? Is it one part or do I need 2? I'll be fabricating the rear mudguard mount from the road one and it would help to have some dimensions - I'll be guessing as to how far back it extends.

At last someone who knows about the Mansfields! Even though the parts books suggest the seat might be a Terry by the part number, I have only seen the seat i know as a Mansfield on the little bikes - were they made by Terry I wonder? I don't think so, as one of mine has a Mansfield name plate - what I do know is they are hard to find.

Phil

Last edited by re indian guy; 06/05/12 5:14 am.
#438613 - 06/05/12 9:45 pm Re: 59 indian hounds arrow help [Re: re indian guy]  
rotorwrench Offline
BritBike Forum member
rotorwrench  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Antonio, Texas
I keep an eye out for the Mansfield types but haven't seen one since tha last discussion about them. I think the buggers are somewhat rare here in the US even though many of these old singles were sold here. The owners probably ditched them when the cover got ratty and put a Bates type on.

I'll keep looking.
Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06/05/12 9:46 pm.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.463s Queries: 15 (0.047s) Memory: 0.9036 MB (Peak: 1.1475 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 17:38:27 UTC