BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
121 registered (Steve Erickson, KennethC., zoe, BikeVice, Hillbilly bike, fettlefart, HughdeMann, NickL, jimbob, mikelucas, OldBalz, penna-john, Roger Gulledge, Stuart, L.A.B., smokey1962, greg mack, hedrives, John Healy, LorenzoI, Adam M., Gordon Gray, jurbanec, RBJ, AML, tiumphdave, konon, limeyrider, goldstarfreddie, noisy norton, bsawood, Garry Polled, downhere, Andy Lorenz, Eddie Garrett, No Name Man, snowbeard, desco, jon lee, gavin eisler, Pete R, Excalibur, wadeschields, Max, don_dup1, Ob1quixote, grumpy47, rick e., Boomer, Bob E, chuckmn, 10-91v, Randy Pigford, Andy Miller, tbird649, trevinoz, Old Cafe Racer, JER.Hill, Craig Davies, Lennart, Rickman, Adrian1, Salty Dog, Ignoramus, M Shearer, TT Rider, Queen's Horseman, beezageezauk, D.Bachtel, Kev., deaney, TRIBSAUK, Matchman62, conhawks, triton thrasher, htown, rocketgoldie, Alan_nc, GS DAVE, HawaiianTiger, robcurrie, Lekkie, johnhannah, mblab, Richard in Wichita, HST Doctor, koan58, Ray Smith, Samhain, Al Eckstadt, Alex, Two Alpha, Rassisland, Petvet, norton bob, Tridentman, Irish Swede, MattL, lightningrob, expresidente, Shane in Oz, fowler1400, Ger, Peter R, Tom Sanders, steelcap, chew652, run990, doolittledon, ted lowe, GaCracker, chris b33, Curmudgeon, RJG, keith bradley, paul67, Cafe Racer, rocketscientist, sciadventurer, AngloBike, larrymondelo), 611 Guests and 111 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ted VanDoorn, PaigeGinger, YetAnotherDave, craig, WyattTrash
7778 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7778 Members
32 Forums
51743 Topics
479240 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10002
John Healy 8422
Lannis 8178
Alex 7270
ricochetrider 7115
JubeePrince 5996
Stuart 5852
kommando 5458
Jon W. Whitley 4688
Kent Shaun 4639
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434517 - 05/11/12 7:17 pm Zerk fittings
DaveOfTexas Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Texas USA
Here is a pic of some fittings. The first is a small one from the speedo drive housing, the next two are larger ones from the F&R brake arm, and the third is just a 'standard U.S. fitting' (ie what NAPA has) which allows the grease gun to snap on to the fitting.
I have been able to replace the larger two with U.S. ones (my grease gun would not fill the supplied ones).
I would like to change the first one but not sure where to find that size thread in a U.S. style nipple.

First BSA. Have 1970 Honda CB750 too.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#434529 - 05/11/12 9:07 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
drp Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: west central ohio where all be...
Try Waldrige motors http://www.walridge.com. They are listed in their catalog

Dave

Edited by drp (05/11/12 9:07 pm)

#434530 - 05/11/12 9:08 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Medford, Oregon
The little hand grease guns with thumb plunger button utilized for lubing chainsaws work on the original style fittings as the gun is pointed on the delivery end. It pushes on the grease fitting ball and seals there at the same time.
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1970 BSA Victor Special

#434579 - 05/12/12 12:43 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
Don M. Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: California
I have been able to match up both British Standard size grease fittings with metrics at the local hardware store. The British Standard fittings are BA threads, which are based on metric dimentions. The flank angles are a little different but not enough to prevent interchange. Cheers, Don.

#434770 - 05/13/12 7:52 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Don M.]
Stuart Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Hi Don,

Originally Posted By: Don M.
BA threads, which are based on metric dimentions.

Define "based on". grin Some of the tpi (e.g. 2BA) are different from the closest metric too. Ime, it's often cheaper to find a grease gun end that'll match the standard nipple than bugger up an otherwise-perfectly good component for the sake of bodging in an differently-threaded nipple.

Hth.

Regards,

#435014 - 05/14/12 7:26 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
DaveOfTexas Offline
BritBike Forum member

The bike is staying in the US, most everyone has a standard grease gun....but not the special-ends. Knowing that, I bet they don't get greased regularly if the owner doesn't have the tool. And most guys are too lazy and cheap to buy the right one.
So I am making them all standard Alemite (U.S.) zerks to increase their chances of being serviced.

I did borrow a non-locking nylon fitting which you can make a semblance of a seal on these see pic. I am guessing it is 50+ years old:

#435090 - 05/15/12 3:33 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
2ndchildhood Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Northern California
British Fasteners has BA threaded zerk fittings.

73 Norton Interstate
72 Triumph T100R
67 BSA 441

#435118 - 05/15/12 12:22 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: 2ndchildhood]
DaveOfTexas Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By: 2ndchildhood
British Fasteners has BA threaded zerk fittings.

very cool.

#435140 - 05/15/12 2:44 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Stuart]
Magnetoman Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Stuart
Define "based on"....
It's absolutely a metric-based thread. But, with a uniquely British twist. Pitch = 1mm x (0.9)^BA. So, for example, a 6 BA fastener has a pitch of 1mm x (0.9)^6 = 1mm x 0.531. The thread angle is 47.5 degrees, which also is metric in that the metric system uses degrees...

#435173 - 05/15/12 7:05 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Magnetoman]
Stuart Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Hi,

Define "based on"....

Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
It's absolutely a metric-based thread.

Then how do you explain, for example, the pitch of the common 2BA thread is 0.81mm, not the 0.8mm of M5? Or 3BA is 0.73mm? Or 4BA is 0.66mm? Etc., etc.? Or none of the BA major diameters below 0BA are an exact metric measurement? For a 'metric' thread, it doesn't seem to have many nominal metric dimensions? wink

Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
with a uniquely British twist.

Ah, yes, and UNF has "a uniquely British twist" because 3/16"BSF and 10UNF are 32tpi and 7/32"BSF and 12UNF are 28tpi? That the major diameters are different and, at larger diameters, the tpi are different somehow doesn't matter? grin

Given that BA and metric threads have more differences than similarities, what practical use is it to consider BA as a metric-based threadform? confused

Hth.

Regards,

#435234 - 05/16/12 3:34 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Stuart]
Magnetoman Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: U.S.
Given that BA and metric threads have more differences than similarities, what practical use is it to consider BA as a metric-based threadform?
I posted that historical tidbit about BA threads as a point of possible interest, but there is a practical reason as well for being aware of this. 0BA fasteners are reasonably common and have diameters fairly close to 1/4" (specifically 0.236"), making it easy to mistake one for 1/4-26. However, their pitch is 1 mm (i.e. 25.4 threads/inch), so a 1/4-26 CEI or BSF nut wouldn't quite work. Not knowing about the metric base to the BA series, measuring the pitch to be exactly 1mm (and diameter 6mm) easily could tempt someone to then use a common metric nut. Although that has the right diameter and pitch, the significant difference between the 47.5-deg. form of the BA and the 60-deg. of the metric would make the fit tight. Although a big enough spanner could deal with that, BA fasteners are commonly used on instruments, whose precision argues agains using big spanners.

Continuing on the topic of metric-based, the metric fasteners we're all used to were standardized only in the mid-1960s. Prior to that separate standards were used by the Japanese, Germans, French, and Swiss. There is a practical use for knowing this as well, since all of these threads are "metric-based," but not all are interchangeable. These fasteners were in use up to the 1960s, so easily some of them may have found their way onto the British bikes in our garages today as substitutes for the ones that fell off.

#437658 - 06/01/12 2:10 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: 2ndchildhood]
DaveOfTexas Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By: 2ndchildhood
British Fasteners has BA threaded zerk
fittings.

This gent had exactly what I needed.
I have no idea the thread pitch but I sent him the old one and he sent me a replacement which is perfect.
Thanks.
Now all zerks will fit and they all have the same standard nipple, which any U.S. garage monkey can snap on to.
Not original equipment but now there is assurance that the fittings will get some grease periodically.

#437668 - 06/01/12 4:20 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Gary E]
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member

Why change all the fittings when a small grease gun is available for the originals?

Originally Posted By: Gary E
The little hand grease guns with thumb plunger button utilized for lubing chainsaws work on the original style fittings as the gun is pointed on the delivery end. It pushes on the grease fitting ball and seals there at the same time.

1970 BSA Victor Special

#437717 - 06/01/12 3:21 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
wadeschields Online   content
Private sponsor

Loc: NYC and York PA
Is that a vintage item only Gary. I havent seen one before. Just asking since I too like the idea of not changing out all of my fittings.....

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

#437738 - 06/01/12 6:11 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
BritTwit Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Kansas City area
With a little J-B Weld or loctite, I'll work just fine.....The first time.

#437765 - 06/01/12 8:19 pm Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
wadeschields Online   content
Private sponsor

Loc: NYC and York PA
This looks like the one Gary? Same fitting though????

http://cgi.eBay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280774374872&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1898wt_907

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

#437809 - 06/02/12 12:11 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member

The eBay items looks to be the same, or get one at the local chain saw shop. Don't know if Lowe's or Home Depot carries them or not.
1970 BSA Victor Special

#437845 - 06/02/12 3:59 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Gary E]
EWebster Offline
BritBike Forum member

Thank you Gary E. for being the voice of reason...again. Small grease guns for sale

#437848 - 06/02/12 4:30 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: Gary E]
DaveOfTexas Offline
BritBike Forum member

Quote:
Why change all the fittings when a small grease gun is available for the originals?

The simple answer is that my goal is to ensure these fittings will see some grease in the bike's remaining lifetime.

Do you really think the average owner is going to seek out, and buy a special grease gun in order to see this gets done?

I am no human behavior expert but my experience is that most guys are as lazy-ass as can be, and will say "f-it, my grease gun won't fit so I am going to skip it".
To whit, examining the grease that was in these areas, they might not have been greased in 30 years!

Much as I cherish the idea of sticking to "all original", this is an item that needed an alternative solution to simplify maintenance.

Respectfully,

#437854 - 06/02/12 7:19 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
triton thrasher Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: scotland
Is this your own bike?

Don't worry about subsequent owners. They will find ways to ruin it, whatever you do with the grease nipples and anything else. An owner who is interested in greasing it will get a gun that fits.

If you're fixing the bike for someone else and they want different nipples, then I can understand you doing the change.

#438210 - 06/04/12 12:42 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: DaveOfTexas]
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member

Of all the nipples on the bike, the one I find the most abused or not maintained is the speedometer drive at the rear hub. I have disassembled a lot of the drives and almost all are dry.

When they give up it is usually always the large gear that the teeth are stripped. The cast drive case has a spiral groove machined in it to lubricate the large gear. Once that groove is impacted or clogged with hard grease, dirt, etc. the gear gets no lubrication. The cases typically show significant wear from a lack of lubrication, but it is the gear teeth that go away.

The large gear cannot be greased by hand with the felt seal removed even if the drive assembly is removed from the hub as the spiral side groove, the side that needs the lubrication, is still inaccessable without punching out the 4 rivets and completely disassembling the drive unit. That I know of, replacement large gears alone, as well as 4 odd ball tiny rivets, are not available. You have to buy a complete new unit, or canibalize another drive assembly.

So, to all, whatever grease nipple you decide to use, keep that mutha greased.
1970 BSA Victor Special

#438215 - 06/04/12 1:10 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: EWebster]
Lannis Offline
Life member

Loc: RIP Russell Johnson
Originally Posted By: EWebster
Thank you Gary E. for being the voice of reason...again. Small grease guns for sale

I don't understand.

Which of the grease guns on the McMaster Carr link you provided will grease the speedometer drive or the brake pivot fittings? These all look like ones that lock on to a standard American fitting, not the ones that push the little ball in with a thin nozzle .... ?

Lannis

"Plan? There ain't no plan!"

#438225 - 06/04/12 2:17 am Re: Zerk fittings [Re: wadeschields]
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Gnashville
Originally Posted By: wadeschields
Is that a vintage item only Gary. I havent seen one before.

Harbor Freight sells small grease guns like that. As usual, not the best, but they do sell them.
I find it a bit difficult to use. I just remove the zirk and squeeze the grease in the hole.

71 A65L

Moderator:  Mike Carter 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-