BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
J Rowe
J Rowe
Orange, MA USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 204 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 55
TBolt72 47
Popular Topics(Views)
610,743 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,150
Posts651,632
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Brake, Clutch cables for UK Spec Bars #437330
05/30/12 2:46 am
05/30/12 2:46 am
Gloucester, VA
T
Thomas Lindemann Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Thomas Lindemann  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T
Gloucester, VA
Good morning,

Im fitting a set of handle bars that I believe are very close to the UK Spec bars for my 1969 TR6 (about the same rise with not as much pull back), what length of cables do I want to use for the throttle, clutch and front brake?

Thanks in advance

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Brake, Clutch cables for UK Spec Bars [Re: Thomas Lindemann] #437448
05/30/12 8:24 pm
05/30/12 8:24 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Thomas,

Originally Posted By: Thomas Lindemann
what length of cables do I want to use for the throttle, clutch and front brake?

While Triumph listed shorter cables for "UK Spec Bars", certainly to start with, I advise using the 'US Spec' cables that're on the bike already.

Reason I advise this:-

. You'll note that the existing cables curve around to the lever or twistgrip from the beside the frame steering head on the same side as the lever or twistgrip? At the risk of telling you something you know already, smooth, large-radius bends minimise any friction that manifests itself as heavy lever/twistgrip operation.

. With "UK Spec Bars", the levers and twistgrip will be closer to the frame steering head. If you use shorter cables and curve them from the same side of the frame steering head as the lever or twistrip, you'll have much smaller-radius bends, especially when the steering is turned to full lock on one side or the other. frown

. However, if you continue to use the existing 'US Spec' cables but route them around to the opposite side of the frame steering head from the lever or twistgrip, the existing smooth, large-radius bends will be maintained. bigt

Fwiw, I've had two T160's for many years, one fitted with US-spec. 'bars and one with much narrower 'bars without any 'rise' (Norman Hyde 'M'-bars). Each 'style' suits me for different purposes so, if I find that one bike is doing significantly more/less mileage than the other, I swap the 'bars (and footrests) between the bikes to change the 'style'. I've always used 'US-length' cables on both bikes, simply routeing them on different sides of the frame steering head as part of the swap.

Also, if when you try the "UK Spec Bars", you don't like the riding position (I didn't and I use the Hyde 'bars with reaset footrests), and you decide either to refit the 'US Spec Bars' or try some other ones, you won't have wasted any money on cables you'll never use. bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership