BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Coco
Coco
Regina Sk, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,646 guests, and 556 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,944 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,290
Posts632,453
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#436701 - 05/25/12 7:16 pm Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50  
Mikesican Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mikesican  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Diego
I recently bought a 1963 BSA royal star a50 500cc and one of the teeth broke off the transmission. I bought it this way knowing there was an issue but was told it was a few hundred for a tranny and a few hundred to have it installed. I called a shop and they werent sure if they needed to disassemble the entire engine to install the tranny. Is that the case or should it be simpler than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it is my first bike so I thought it would be a cool project, iand i done know too much about the. but I might be in way over my head.
Also any advice on a place that would be a good deal on a refurb tranny would be help. Thanks in advance.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#436719 - 05/25/12 8:52 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
LarryLebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
LarryLebel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Canada
It has a unit construction motor that has to be partially taken apart to change the transmission.

#436731 - 05/25/12 10:12 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: LarryLebel]  
Rickman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
But, the top end can stay in place.

best idea, is to go buy a BSA, Haynes, or other service manual, take a loook at what you need to do, and if you are handy with tools, go after it.

I don't think it's that hard.

But, if you ARE in San Diego, if you cannot find a BSA mechanic around there, you will find one up around the L.A. area...

You MIGHT try to get in touch with the southern Calif. BSA O.C., and see if'n there are any local members...
I cannot say if any of 'em will help, or can help you...

Best I can offer, from 2500 miles away...
Brett

Last edited by Rickman; 05/25/12 10:13 pm.
#436732 - 05/25/12 10:16 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
I see it's your 1st post!!! Wecome!!
How did the seller know,...."and one of the teeth broke off the transmission.." ? You can't see inside so it's odd they knew what the problem is for sure. Does is run? How does it feel?

Anyhow, if you are going to become infected with the Brit Bike disease, you will end up getting a shop manual and a parts book. Better sooner than later, most here will agree. These aren't too expensive, as there are copies of the originals made for sale. The shop book would be really handy to explain the process to you and the shop you take it to. I gotta ask though, if they don't have BSA experience, maybe you can ask around and find someone that does. This bike has a few quirks !!(Hey! it's British!)You did a good thing coming here though, a bunch of good guys dying to help and offer advice. You know, spread the misery around....

SO, the job is kind of a messy deal, in that both sides of the motor need to come off, and there is oil and gaskets to deal with. Drain the trans as much as possible 1st. Motor oil need not be drained. The rear chain DOES NOT need to be removed, as the trans will come out the RH side once the nut holding the clutch on the shaft is removed in the LH side.
LH is the Primary Side, the 1st of the 2 drive chains and clutch.
RH is the Timing Side, the side with the timing gears and points.( assuming you did not know from your "1st bike comment" )

On the LH primary side, the foot peg(Nut is a LH, backwards thread!!!), cover, and chain slackened with the adjuster. IF,...IF, the shop has experience, they don't absolutely have to remove all the primary chain and clutch(special tool req'd), from the area to release the trans. BUT,......... they probably will, and there are loose roller bearings 'behind' the clutch. Kind of a pain.

On the RH timing side, the kick lever, shift lever, foot peg(NUT is RH thread), and outer cover come off. Next the points etc come off (released from a taper drive in the cam end), the kicker spring and gear, and DO NOT forget to pull the tach drive shaft out, the clutch cable from the lever, a bunch of screws, and the inner cover comes off, of course it doesn't just "come off" as it's stuck with gasket gook, ....both motor and trans oil dripping everywhere. (hopefully not too much more stinky Trans oil)
Now you see the timing gears, and hopfully will leave them as is.
You can see the gasket separates the 2 oils down the center.

Now, you remove the nuts from the round trans plate, and figure out a way to pry the plate loose from the case, moving the shifter plate a bit will help get the trans out of the hole, and the whole thing comes out as an assembly. (agian, assuming the LH stuff is off) Make sure not to lose a thick shim washer that will be on the end of the lay shaft. It usually stays on the shaft, stuck with gear lube.

Let us know what tooth was broken OK?

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys
#436755 - 05/26/12 4:12 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Shane in Oz Online content
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney, Oz
Welcome to the wonderful world of BSA.

KC's summary of the work needed to replace the gear cluster has nailed it pretty well.

The manual is definitely needed, and the parts book will come in handy as well.
You can get copies from most of the bigger dealers who handle BSA parts (Raber's, etc), or Kim's BSA CD set is quite a good alternative (listed up the top of the BSA board)

Good used A50 / A65 gear clusters turn up on eBay all the time for around $150.

The work isn't hard to do yourself, just a bit fiddly. The other main things to watch out for when pulling it apart are:
- it's good to have the right tool for undoing the sleeve nuts on the clutch pressure plate, but you can make one yourself by notching a big screwdriver or using a bit of steel strap the right thickness.
- a rattle gun makes it much easier to undo the mainshaft nut. I don't like the workshop manual approach of putting it in gear and holding the back brake on because that can lead to breaking teeth off gears smile
- I think KC missed the gear selector detent plunger. That needs to be undone before removing the gear cluster.

Things to watch out for when you're putting it back together:
- early A50 / A65 timing is very fiddly to set. It's probably best to throw the whole points assembly away and fit electronic ignition. Boyer Bransden, Pazon and Tri-Spark are all good. Tri-Spark is the best ime, but not cheap. All work best with 6V coils. You might already have those with an early A50.
- the clutch pressure plate adjustment can make a world of difference. Take the time to make sure it lifts evenly. I think you have the 4 spring clutch. They're a little more work to set up than the later 3 spring version, but work quite well once they're done. The clutch springs are probably worth replacing while you have it apart. It will probably take a few tries to get the clutch set up fully to get enough pressure to avoid slipping and not so much that the lever action is too heavy. Adjust the nuts to be flush with the end of the studs to start with.

If you don't already know, the earlier model twins used a mixture of BSF, Whitworth and BSC nuts and bolts, so AF spanners will be the wrong size. You'll need "Whitworth" spanners (probably 3/16" through to 3/8"). Combination (open end / ring) spanners and a set of 3/8" drive sockets should do the job. I think these are available in the US. I know British Spares in NZ have them, but the exchange rate may not be very kind to you at the moment.

Good luck with the project. Do you have any pictures you can show us?
Don't be shy to ask more questions.

#436762 - 05/26/12 6:51 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mikesican Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mikesican  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Diego
Thanks for the help, I am sure I'm gonna have heaps of questions. I will go out and by the parts book and manual right away. I have the original manual which came with the bike but it might not be overly helpful.
I saw that the tooth was broken because the gearbox was already removed and the guy I bought it from showed me the broken teeth. There are 2 teeth broken on the first actual gear. I had planned on just learning to do the little stuff on the bike and gradually increase that too larger jobs. But maybe I should go after it.
When I bought the bike he gave me a few boxes of parts being the transmission, chain, pedal, I think clutch, nuts/bolts, etc. it seemed really daunting. But I would really like to learn. Thanks again for the advice. I spoke to a few places that said I could send them the tranny and they will fix what needs to be fixed and send it back to me. Would any of you recommend this? Or should I try to myself?

#436763 - 05/26/12 6:59 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mikesican Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mikesican  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Diego
Here is my bike and a picture of the broken tooth.

#436764 - 05/26/12 7:09 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Thats not 1st gear, its 4th gear on the main shaft .

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#436775 - 05/26/12 8:13 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Shane in Oz Online content
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney, Oz
You'll probably only need to replace the sleeve gear with the broken teeth and the corresponding layshaft gear. As a rule, if one of a pair of gears is replaced the other should be as well.

It might even be worth looking for new gears instead of chasing a used cluster since you only need 1 pair of gears.

It's a nice looking bike - should be good when you get it sorted.

The disassembly has already been done, so you only need to put Humpty Dumpty together again. That's not hard when you've done if a couple of times, but can be a bit daunting if you're faced with boxes of bits and you don't know if they're all there and where they go.

Having the factory parts book and manual will be essential if you're going to tackle this without local help. The early parts books didn't have very good diagrams. The later books do, and the A50 / A65 gearbox didn't change much over the years. All things considered, Kim's BSA CD will be money well spent. It has the factory workshop manuals and parts books for most years. The later books provide a lot more detail, which will give you a better feel for how it all goes together. The details changed over the years, so the correct year books will give you the specific info for your bike.

Lay out all the parts and post a picture of them. We should be able to help you with what sort of shape they're in and how they all go together.
When you get the manuals, try to assemble the parts again in the right position relative to each other outside the bike, and post that as well if you're at all unclear.

Come to think of it, if you could do all of that on the Members Projects forum, it will help the next newcomer who is faced with a gearbox rebuild.

#436798 - 05/26/12 2:16 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mikesican Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mikesican  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Diego
Am researching books and CDs as we speak can someone post a link to the covers of the ones I should get, that would help out s beginner like myself?

#436801 - 05/26/12 2:36 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mike Cornwall Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Cornwall  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Los Angeles, CA

1972 Tiger 650
1978 Bonneville 750
1968 Victor 441
#436802 - 05/26/12 2:37 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mike Cornwall Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Cornwall  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Los Angeles, CA
That thing looks so good you'll be laid before you ever get to 4th

1972 Tiger 650
1978 Bonneville 750
1968 Victor 441
#436815 - 05/26/12 3:50 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Opps, I guess you really do know it for sure....
And, after the photos, ...you WILL need to remve the drive chain and the sprocket nut and sprocket.
You'll be a pro when you are finished. !!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys
#436830 - 05/26/12 6:49 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Ola Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ola  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Norway
This one will have more in common with your motorcycle:

http://www.motos-anglaises.com/manuels/bsa/A50-A65-pieces-1964.pdf

Best regards

There are no bosses in a technical discussion
(Doug Hele, 1919 - 2001)
#436837 - 05/26/12 7:57 pm Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mikesican Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mikesican  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Diego
Thanks everyone for you help. I actually have the original of that first link. And this part book seems incredible.

#436865 - 05/27/12 1:40 am Re: Replacing transmission on 63 BSA royal star a50 [Re: Mikesican]  
Mike Cornwall Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Cornwall  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Los Angeles, CA
Download that parts book as a pdf and email it to kinkos. they'll print it out, cost me 14 bucks plus a 3ring binder. Ta Dow

1972 Tiger 650
1978 Bonneville 750
1968 Victor 441

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.811s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9197 MB (Peak: 1.1771 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 14:56:59 UTC