BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mike Baker
Mike Baker
Asheville, NC
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (Adam M.), 238 guests, and 54 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom, Andy Mac, kwbikr
10381 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Mori55 98
NickL 91
Stuart 86
DavidP 78
Triless 71
reverb 70
Rohan 64
Popular Topics(Views)
688,488 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,011
Posts661,580
Members10,381
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Yet another Vintage MX video #436187
05/22/12 3:10 pm
05/22/12 3:10 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
So this past weekend I went to the AHRMA Vintage MX Nationals at Lake Sugartree near Axton, Virginia. It's a bummer that this was on the same day as the three-state ride, but at least it was worth it. Great facilities, fantastic weather and the track was an absolute dream. Sorry about the lousy audio in the video, I think that the camera was a little loose in its case and the rattling around produced all of the clunking you hear. I came in fourth overall but won the Premier Lightweight Intermediate class. Those two-strokes are hard to catch, but I'm working on it...

Here's a track map:

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Alex] #436190
05/22/12 3:49 pm
05/22/12 3:49 pm
England
Tom_dup1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tom_dup1  Offline
BritBike Forum member
England
Nice video yet again Alex. That C15 certainly doesn't lack power and you're sure one hell of a good all round rider.

Jealous of that track it looks really good to ride.

Tom

Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Alex] #436195
05/22/12 4:23 pm
05/22/12 4:23 pm
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
SLO County, CA
Another great one Alex. What 2 strokes are you chasing in the Premier Lightweight division?
I'd like to see some photos if you got 'em. They do have a bit of an edge on acceleration.

Good race and I like the photos of the action from selected trackside locations.
Bet you were tired at the end of the day.

Lot of work there. Good job! What's the squeeky, tweety on the audio this time?

Don in Nipomo

Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Alex] #436224
05/22/12 7:13 pm
05/22/12 7:13 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
Don, the two-strokes ahead of me were not in my class. One was a Hodaka 100 (ridden by a 17-year old) in Sportsman 100. There were also two Suzukis, probably 125's...I can't find the schedule so don't remember the other classes but they were quick.

Yea, that squeaking was, I think the camera scooching around in the case. I got an add-on battery for the thing to extend the battery life but it doesn't fit the case quite right. I think I know how to fix it for next time.

Tom, that track is probably the nicest I've been on and a big improvement over the rutty quagmire from two weeks ago.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Alex] #436226
05/22/12 7:19 pm
05/22/12 7:19 pm
Trenton, New Jersey
royaloilfield Offline
BritBike Forum member
royaloilfield  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trenton, New Jersey
AWESOME VIDEO!! I raced lake sugartree several times back in the mid 80's...One of my favorite tracks!!!!!! Man the picture quaility on that camera is spot on! thanks for posting keep em coming!!!

Brian
Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Alex] #436329
05/23/12 6:24 am
05/23/12 6:24 am
England
Tom_dup1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tom_dup1  Offline
BritBike Forum member
England
Alex,

One observation, if I may. Stopping the video at a couple of points in the off-bike footage and going back to your bike build photo's, your bike does sit very high at the front. Betor Forks are good but they are very long and the yokes/trees do extend about an inch below the stem when compared to BSA yokes/trees. All this when combined with a 21" front does give a very high front end compared to back in the day.

I think you'd find the bike would turn-in better and have more front end grip if you lowered the front and put the bike on a more even keel. Those last two offs you had looked like they were down to losing the front end.

If you've still got the pre-load spacer sitting above the fork springs, it should be possible with an hour or two's work on a Lathe, to shorten the forks by 3/4" internally whilst still maintaining travel and spring rates. Thereafter if you need to reduce height more it's a case of dropping the legs through the yokes/trees. Ungainly looking I know but a worthwhile trade-off for the benefits it can bring. You may want to try just dropping the forks through the yokes by an inch at your next practice/race meeting to just see how it feels.

I've been through all this with my bike and it certainly made one hell of a difference ending up with 3/4" shorter forks internally and legs droppped through the yokes by 1/2". I'm still c*ap, but I wobble round much quicker.

HTH

Tom

Last edited by Tom_dup1; 05/23/12 6:48 am.
Re: Yet another Vintage MX video [Re: Tom_dup1] #436345
05/23/12 11:14 am
05/23/12 11:14 am
Seattle
Alex Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Seattle
Tom,

Thanks for the tip. One nice thing about the betors is that the tubes can be moved in the triple clamps. I just might try dropping the tubes for a practice or something and see how it goes.

Cheers.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership