BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,646 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#43127 - 04/23/05 1:42 pm Painting old exhaust pipes?  
bitsa110 Offline
BritBike Forum
bitsa110  Offline
BritBike Forum

Far Northern California
I have several sets of TT and stock exhaust pipes.They have surface rust and bluing,to ugly to use,to good to throw away.
What is the best way to save them? Sandblast and barbecue paint? I have heard of ceramic coating.Who does it and at what cost?
Is there a good durable black finish that will not burn off?
Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow`s ear. Mike

`54 T110 Mild Custom
`56 T110 custom,in progress
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#43128 - 04/23/05 9:23 pm Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
I sandblast, not glass bead blast, both bare steel and chromed pipes and megas for our dirt trackers. Than clean well and paint with black rattle can "header paint", from Checker (Kragens) the local discount auto parts. It's described as "ceramic"(??) and good for up to 1200F. They offer both black and silver colors.
I also have a can of header paint from Eastwood, which is a bit more pricey, that I've not used. Maybe better, I dunno.
After air drying I bake the painted pipes in my shop oven per their specs. Something like 2 hours @ 350 F. I've learned the hard way, as is warned against on the Eastwood can, not to paint too heavy/thick as it will blister when run hot.

Anyhow .. the paint holds up OK, and only discolors with the high heat near the head. But of course it does sand blast off where exposed to the front tire swarf on a dirt tracker. I'm sure the true ceramic coatings would be better, but more expensive.

My .02 worth ...

dave - NV
#43129 - 04/24/05 3:29 am Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
bitsa110 Offline
BritBike Forum
bitsa110  Offline
BritBike Forum

Far Northern California
What weight grit should I use for the pipes and frames? I bought a blasting gun a few months back and plan on painting my own frames and pipes this spring.I can no longer afford the cost of powder coating.Can I use the same grit for both?
Mike

`54 T110 Mild Custom
#43130 - 04/24/05 6:39 am Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
I use #30 grit blasting sand from my local builders supply store and it seems to be about right.

Imediately after blasting be sure to acid etch the pieces as the raw metal begins to rust very quickly. I use "Must for Rust", phosphoric acid based etch, scrubbed on with a coarse 'brown' Scotch Bright pad. Don't water rinse and the parts are safe from rusting for a long time if kept dry. The etched surface turns a grey color and is a bit like gun blueing.. But don't oil and for sure don't use anything with silicon on the surface prior to paint.

dave - NV
#43131 - 04/24/05 11:29 am Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
LDBennett Offline
BritBike Forum member
LDBennett  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hesperia, CA
Mike:

Ceramic coating works good and would be perhaps $50 for a set of TT pipes. Prices vary so you'll have to look around. I have found it very durable on our CZ MXer that routes the large expansion chamber under the motor in harms way. It certainly is better than any home applied spray on paint. The choice of colors is huge.

LDBennett

#43132 - 04/24/05 2:28 pm Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
bitsa110 Offline
BritBike Forum
bitsa110  Offline
BritBike Forum

Far Northern California
Ceramic coating sounds good,but at $50 times four sets of pipes it gets expensive.I will go with the blast and paint method.
I have muriatic acid which I use to clean soft metals.Would that work for this application?
Mike

`54 T110 Mild Custom
#43133 - 05/08/05 9:21 pm Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
supertrump Offline
BritBike Forum member
supertrump  Offline
BritBike Forum member

philadelphia
how about simple heat wrap tape?get that racer look,cheap and easy.

#43134 - 05/09/05 11:47 am Re: Painting old exhaust pipes?  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Mike , I'm sure that baked on rattle can setup will work fine . I think the flat black "TT" pipes with cromed strap clamps at the head and lower mounts look great on a old Brit twin .The jet hot coat exhaust , in that shiny silver , looks great on cars , but I havent seen it on a bike yet , and it costs way too much for me to try it out and not like it. Only thing I might add , if you are using the same aftermarkt head pipes I have always used , you might wanna weld on some mounting tabs before you paint . Nothing special, just somethingthat will make it easyto keep the pipes solidly mounted without a lotta jury rigged looking brackets when you are finished .-BONZO

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.620s Queries: 14 (0.162s) Memory: 0.8423 MB (Peak: 1.0129 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:09:31 UTC