BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#428808 - 04/09/12 3:03 pm Cylinder boring with wire EDM  
gcooperlll Offline
BritBike Forum member
gcooperlll  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Panama City Florida
Been learning to operate an EDM (electronic discharge machine) at my friend's machine shop. Been splitting 7 inch 4130 swage dies into thirds - with a .012 thick brass wire. As watching the machine cut is as exciting as watching submarine races my mind wandered. So i says to my self " Self, you have a half dozen Triumph cylinders that need boring. Why don't you use the EDM?" The surface finish of the cut is variable from fine to smooth as glass. I can hold the accuracy of the bore to a half of a tenth - .oooo5 inch. I can control the taper to a tenth (.ooo1) over the seven or so inches. Any thoughts on the subject?
Cooper

Last edited by gcooperlll; 04/09/12 3:05 pm.

Cooper
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#428828 - 04/09/12 4:49 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
If it really is that good, (50 microinches over 7 inches is incredible) I would try it, but definitely hone the bore afterward to give the correct finish on the bore. Smoother isn't always better.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#428884 - 04/09/12 10:41 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: Alex]  
gcooperlll Offline
BritBike Forum member
gcooperlll  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Panama City Florida
I should of stated the machine is accurate to half of a tenth - the operator may not be. Will be honing the finished bore - just haven't decided which hone - dingle ball or rigid stone. Will probably start with the dingle ball. Cooper

Cooper
#428898 - 04/10/12 12:14 am Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
Pete R - R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Pete R - R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Vic. Australia
A torque plate to simulate cylinder distortion caused by tightening the head bolts and a fixed-blade hone is best.The cylinder will go out-of round when the bolts are tightened.The fixed hone will cut it back to round.

Allow for the extra tension on head-bolts caused by cylinder head expansion on a hot engine.

#428924 - 04/10/12 3:17 am Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: Pete R - R.I.P.]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
So, in a perfect world, we'd all use an old head with centering holes and only hone cylinders with everything in place and tightened to spec.
Sounds like a BSA service bulletin. laughing

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#428968 - 04/10/12 2:01 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Unfortunately David, that is the World we live in today.

Our engines were built where cylinders were measured in thousandths of an inch. — Crankshafts weren't square to the bore.
— Crankcase mouths were neither square to the bore, and were often stepped from one half to another,
— Factories, let alone dealers did not use, or have, torque wrenches. Watch a Hughie Hancox video.
— It was a time where 150 grit honing stones were considered Finishing stones. The apprentices were taught that if you couldn't scratch a match to light on the bore after honing it was too smooth.
—And grey cast iron rings lapped themselves round during break-in to a bore that was neither round, straight or true.
It worked, but these engines would never pass the crudest of emissions tests and had a short life expectancy. It also must be looked at as a package. For example: Put a grey cast iron ring in a cylinder finished honed with a 280 grit stone, or finer and the rings will not seat. Worse, do that using a modern oil designed to give better fuel mileage.

The bores of modern engines are routinely measured in one or two ten thousandths of an inch. Where cylinders are bored with main bearing caps in place and torque plates mounted, often the engine casting is pre-warmed and the honing done with hot lubricant, Ductile iron or steel rings are pre-lapped and coated to prevent wear (you cannot "break" them in as such), and pistons are made from Hyper-Eutectic low expansion alloys. These engines are as near perfect as one could emagine and require little, IF ANY break-in.

Problems exist when people try to mix modern technology, with engines built on machines and with technology and metalurgy that pre-dates WWII without an understanding of what they are doing. It can be done, and is done by guys building race bikes today, but it is with an understanding of what they are doing and what is required.

I see to often a cylinder finished with 400 or 600 grit stones and the owner with a package of grey cast iron rings in his hand. I see oil and water....

#429093 - 04/11/12 4:33 am Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Now we know why old VW cylinders, rings, and pistons were sold as complete sets. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#429123 - 04/11/12 12:40 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: DavidP]  
Pete R - R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Pete R - R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Vic. Australia
The people who are really fussy use a torque plate when they do a valve job.

I only use torque plates for boring,honing,and lapping rings.

#429133 - 04/11/12 1:09 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: Pete R - R.I.P.]  
KingKat Offline
BritBike Forum member
KingKat  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA NW MN
John, It is refreshing to hear from someone that knows how it was and how it is now. I get very frustrated trying to explain things to modern machinists when working on old stuff. In many instances modern techniques like clearences and such cannot be used on old equipment because of the changes in metalurgy etc. Many of them have been to school and were taught the modern way and they believe that is the only way.Thanks for your input.

#429923 - 04/15/12 11:36 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: KingKat]  
Redd32 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Redd32  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pittsburgh,Pa.
I run wire EDM in the machine shop I work in. I would EDM the bore as stated but I would leave .002 for honing to get the cross hatch pattern to hold oil on the cyl.

Ago

#430060 - 04/16/12 4:04 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
gcooperlll Offline
BritBike Forum member
gcooperlll  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Panama City Florida
Update - EDM worked great - exact size , no taper. However, it took about 70 minutes a side taking off .010. Not very cost effective. After wiring, mapped the cylinder dimensions with a bore gauge (plus/minus .0005). perfect! I then bolted and torqued my cylinder head to the barrels and remeasured. No dicernable change. I then bolted the base flange to my boring bar fixture (2 inches of tool steel) and repeated measurements. No discernable change. Your results may vary. Will be using the old tried and true boring bar as the EDM is way more time due to setup and cutting speed.

Cooper
#430265 - 04/17/12 6:32 pm Re: Cylinder boring with wire EDM [Re: gcooperlll]  
MarksterTT Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarksterTT  Offline
BritBike Forum member

San Francisco Bay Area
Cooper, most interesting results regarding measurements after torquing head and base down, with no changes. I would guess it may depend on cyl. construction, bolt to bore spacing etc.
I have a question regarding EDM, in another post we were discussing modifying an early 5 sp. tranny (Triumph)camplate to match the outer contour of the later model camplate & I was wondering if EDM wouldn't be an easy way to do this. Could you explain the procedure to accomplish this? Cost effective? Do I find a local EDM guy and go in with a template? If you have time an explanation would be great...Mark

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.692s Queries: 15 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8800 MB (Peak: 1.0928 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:42:03 UTC