BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,776 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,552 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,264
Posts632,045
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#427985 - 04/04/12 10:27 pm Kick Starter  
Tricatcent Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tricatcent  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia, Canada
I am buying a Gold Star next week. A few things seem to need some attention. One is the kick starter. It leans forward a the angle that is normal so that it doesn't get in the way of your leg. It is awkward to operate because it engages when the lever is sticking straight up at about 90 degrees. It seems to me it should engage later probably when it is leaning back at least 30 degrees. Also the lever will hit the stop when you try to follow through with the swing. Is this normally the way they are set up, or is it wrong? I don't think it should be too difficult to get it working the way I think it should be.

BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#428010 - 04/05/12 1:48 am Re: Kick Starter [Re: Tricatcent]  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
Tricatcent, welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase of a Goldie. You will find the Gold Star guys on this forum to be very friendly, generous and helpful.

There are two different kickstart quadrants available for your gearbox. One is in the normal quadrant which positions the kick start lever in a more rear facing (11 o'clock) position for use with standard footpegs and the gearbox shifter facing forward. The second quadrant is used for rearset footpegs and puts the kick start lever in the 1 o'clock position and the gearchange lever is usually reversed to face backwards typically found on Clubman trimmed bikes.

Part numbers:
42-3160 standard kickstart quadrant
42-3163 clubman kickstart quadrant

Another possibility is you have a splined version of the kick start quadrant and the previous owner moved it forward. You will need to remove the outer gearbox cover to see if it is splined. If so, you can press it out and rotate the lever to your favored position.

If you have the non-splined version of the kickstart quadrant and it is the clubman type I would like to buy it or trade you for a normal quadrant.

PS: We love images, lots of images.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
#428021 - 04/05/12 4:04 am Re: Kick Starter [Re: Swan]  
Lew Graham Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lew Graham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch New Zealand
The description sounds like it is a standard A10/B33 quadrant and shaft, with the quadrant position moved forward one spline/tooth on the shaft, i.e. 60 degrees. This keeps the kickstart clear of your knee when you have rearset footrests, but it is too far forward to allow a good swinging kick to start the bike. The correct Clubmans quadrant is angled less than 60 degrees forward in comparison to the A10/B33 kickstart.

#428082 - 04/05/12 3:24 pm Re: Kick Starter [Re: Lew Graham]  
Tricatcent Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tricatcent  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia, Canada
Thanks for the tips. I am pretty sure that what I must have is what Lew said. The gearbox does seem to have the close ratio gears, but the case is not an RRT2, probably the kick stater quadrant is the wrong one. Hopefully it can be modified to work right.

#428092 - 04/05/12 4:31 pm Re: Kick Starter [Re: Tricatcent]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
I have a STD. gearbox and have modified the kickstart shaft to allow the kickstart lever to be at more of a 1 o'clock pos..I welded the cotter pin groove and recut it in a different position,I have also modified the stop pin, making it eccentric so that I can turn it and adjust the kickstart lever position, I have it in more of a 12 o'clock position the quadrant is engaged with the ratchet by one tooth.The kickstart lever does not have the downward travel that a my Triumph and Norton have,the kickstar lever hits the stop at a point just below the 9 o'clock position. I am assuming that this is correct as no allowance is made to adjust the length of travel.
Sorry to be so long winded.
James.

#428122 - 04/05/12 7:21 pm Re: Kick Starter [Re: Tricatcent]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
I suggest you read the discussion we had last Feb on kickers here on the GS list. It may answer some of your questions and give you some ideas.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=421349#Post421349

dave - NV
#428266 - 04/06/12 4:54 pm Re: Kick Starter [Re: dave - NV]  
Ryan C. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ryan C.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, BC
Hello. The KS information I have was originally from Pearson. I can give you a copy for reference.

Ryan

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.285s Queries: 15 (0.036s) Memory: 0.8290 MB (Peak: 0.9965 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 17:22:14 UTC