BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
GeeMan614
GeeMan614
Salem, VA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,563 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,407 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,307
Posts632,174
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#42560 - 02/19/05 9:48 pm How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
Patrick Offline
BritBike Forum
Patrick  Offline
BritBike Forum

martinsville, Virginia
I have a 77 Triumph. I am going to install a tympanium unit. I want to convert the bike to negative ground first. How do you convert a british bike to negative ground?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#42561 - 02/19/05 10:58 pm Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Not sure why you'd want to do this, but here goes....

On a stock system, the only things that really give a hoot about the grounding are the Zener and the rectifier. Both these units will be removed and replaced by the Tympanum any way.

The ignition coils would then be the only remaining polarized items. So plug the Blk/Wht and Blk/Yel points wires to the Neg (-) side of the coil. Then plug the Wht, Wht/Yel or Wht/Blu wires that supply power to the coils to the Pos (+) side of the coils. (In other words reverse all the wires plugged to both coil terminals.) You may have to physically rotate the coils by 180 deg to get the wires to reach.

If you have a Boyer and are using dual 6V coils you do the same polarity reversal, including the jumper wire between the 2 coils.

If you do this be sure and alert every Brit mechanic you take it to for ever more.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#42562 - 02/20/05 12:05 am Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
Patrick Offline
BritBike Forum
Patrick  Offline
BritBike Forum

martinsville, Virginia
Thanks for the info. Do I also reverse the wires to the battery? I'm doing this because I want a head and taillight modulator and the companies tell me they will not work with positive ground.

#42563 - 02/20/05 1:37 am Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
supertrump Offline
BritBike Forum member
supertrump  Offline
BritBike Forum member

philadelphia
seems like a lot of dedication for modulation.
have you considered simply flicking between high and low beam with your thumb? wink

#42564 - 02/20/05 11:13 am Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
Patrick Offline
BritBike Forum
Patrick  Offline
BritBike Forum

martinsville, Virginia
Actually, I don't want to worry about the manual use of the high and low plus I want the taillight modulation.

#42565 - 02/20/05 12:25 pm Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Patrick -
Forgive me, how stupid of me. Yes the battery wires will need to be reversed. :rolleyes:

If you have a Boyer, then read the instructions (or look it up online) that came with it. There's a blurb in there about Neg ground.

BTW... I believe in HL modulation. It has been shown to reduce frontal wrecks (cars pulling out in front of you) by something like 50%. However there is no such evidence for tail lamp or brake lamp modulation. All you can really do there is add more/ brighter lighted area by 1) installing an LED tail lamp bulb, 2) adding LEDs so that the rear turn signals become running lamps, or 3) adding another lamp to the rear. Notice all this lighting is done with LEDs so you don't add more load to the stock charging system. The best place to get these lamps is:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/truck_lights.htm

Notice I didn't take you to the motorcycle section. (Check that out too.) Anything for m/c (a hobby) is $70. However, in the TRUCK section (a business) everything is $20. That's more in my price range. Notice some of these units will fit inside your stock tail lamp. AND THESE BABIES ARE BRIGHT !! All their 2-wire lamps will work on Pos or Neg ground.

BTW2... Or you could do what I did... remove the rider, set a negative ground Hinckley in the driveway, and re-install rider. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps. bigt

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

#42566 - 02/20/05 11:58 pm Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
Patrick Offline
BritBike Forum
Patrick  Offline
BritBike Forum

martinsville, Virginia
Thanks Redneck,
I installed the tympanium today. I'll change the grounds according to your instructions later this week. I agree with the stats on the headlight modulator.
Thanks again,
Patrick

#42567 - 02/24/05 12:03 am Re: How to convert positive earth to negative earth?  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
St. Patty -
Be sure and disconnect the Zener and old rectifier from the harness. The best way to install the tynpanum is to crimp male 1/4" spade connectors onto it's short leads. In this way you can connect to the stock harness (female spades) without destroying it. You can also swap back to Pos ground by simply re-plugging.

Ability to return to Pos ground would be VERY helpful when traveling south of the equator, since electrons swirl down the drain in the opposite direction in those latitudes. bigt

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.228s Queries: 14 (0.019s) Memory: 0.8424 MB (Peak: 1.0139 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 05:39:42 UTC