BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
198 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,633 guests, and 515 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#424650 - 03/17/12 12:54 pm A resident physicist needed again!  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Some months ago I posted about a possible breakthrough in the study of physics. Some physicists in Europe had collected data at the New Bern accelerator that indicated that certain subatomic particles called neutrinos had been measured to be travelling at speeds that were slightly faster than the speed of light. Of course if this were proved to be true it would put into serious controversy (once again) Einsteinís Theory of Special Relativity on the limits of cosmic speed that was theorized in 1905, proved mathematically and by experiment some years later, and generally accepted by the physics community over the past century.

Well in this morningís paper I read that follow-up tests indicated that a possible technical malfunction of timing instruments (sounds like a Boyer ignition failure) likely flawed the suspect measurements made last September. So is Einsteinís Theory still in tact? Only time will tell. Since the theory of relativity deals with phenomena that most of us mortals canít comprehend, we can still revel in the marvels of Newtonian physics that affect our Brit bikes on a daily basisÖ. Yes things like velocity, acceleration, inertia, friction, airflow are still safe.

See if we can get our resident physicist, Lannis, to weigh in on this one.

What say oh learned one?
Mr Mike

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#424657 - 03/17/12 1:22 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
If I ride my bike with the light of, it has a certain speed.
When I ride it with the lights on, the force of the light, sent forward must have a reaction force facing backward (one of Newtons laws).
Even so my bike does not slow down with the lights on.
Is that prove that Newton was wrong?

Good thing, because the brake light, facing backward, would have a reacting force forward, speeding up the bike...

crazy

Ger B

#424659 - 03/17/12 1:32 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Mr Mike

What say oh learned one?
Mr Mike

I can't even get the Tecumseh engine on my power washer to start, I doubt if I'd be much good today at Origin of the Universe stuff .... !

If someone's going to come up with a completely new theory about how things work, it has to leave all the stuff we can actually SEE intact.

Back before Galileo, people who though that the sun moved around the earth had come up with incredibly complex theories to explain observed planetary motion ("epicycles"). Once we came up with gravity and "earth moves around the sun", suddenly it ALSO explained planetary motion and a lot of other things.

So for hundreds of years, Newtonian mechanics explained everything we could see and measure. Then (as we started to be able to see and measure things that were much more large and much more small), there were phenomena related to molecular motion, and the speed of light, that Newtonian physics couldn't explain. So Max Planck and Albert Einstein and a bunch of other smart guys, around the turn of the last century, came up with Quantum Mechanics and General and Special Relativity that DID explain the bending of light around gravitational fields, and explained particle tunnelling where a particle is Here and then it's THERE and it never was in between the two points (and we use those facts to build lasers and electronics these days).

But there's more to come - there's still things that Quantum Mechanics and Relativity don't explain, like how Gravity works and why the universe acts like there's way more mass around than we can see or measure. BUT - and this is a big But with prickly bosons and hot quasars on it - any theory that we come up with to enhance or replace what we have MUST also still explain the things we can see and measure.

And NOT (like cold fusion or faster-than-light thingies) just be amazing Popular Science results that get everyone excited and make a fortune for the guy who "discovered" it, before it's found to be bogus.

So - trust but verify, says I ...

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#424662 - 03/17/12 1:40 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Does this mean that if I'm traveling faster than the speed of light and turn my headlight on I"ll be out driving it?
Safety First here!

Last edited by MikeG; 03/17/12 1:50 pm.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#424664 - 03/17/12 1:58 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: MikeG]  
Hud Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hud  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Randolph, Ohio
Quote:
[/quote]Does this mean that if I'm traveling faster than the speed of light and turn my headlight on I"ll be out driving it?
Safety First here! [quote]

Just sitting here enjoying the mourning radiation waiting for a Lucas one liner to materialize.

Joe

Last edited by Hud; 03/17/12 6:46 pm.
#424665 - 03/17/12 2:09 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
Dr. Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dr. Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Montana, USA
c=300,000,000 m/s

Its not just a good idea. Its the law.

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
#424672 - 03/17/12 3:11 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Mr Mike lad, who knows about that law that states, as soon as the time comes along for a good Bimble with your mates, it starts bloody raining mad

Friday I saw 18c and Clear Blue sky, today it's cold and raining, just perfick for the Pioneer on the morrow mad Then you see, Monday and back to the Hell Hole, it'll be 18c and bone dry. Don't it make ya sick mad

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#424675 - 03/17/12 4:01 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
KarlB Offline
BritBike Forum member
KarlB  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent
Raining here as well, damn and blast it!

KarlB
Big day has come and gone and still no idea what Project 50 will be!
#424680 - 03/17/12 4:24 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Mr Mike]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
well...

As long as nobody's violatin' the NATURAL law around here, then I'm not going to get all wound up about anything...

Personally speakin'.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#424724 - 03/17/12 7:14 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
well...

As long as nobody's violatin' the NATURAL law around here, then I'm not going to get all wound up about anything...

Personally speakin'.

I saw a Thai person in town the other day, in a skirt and high heels, that I believe was violating a LOT of "Natural Laws" ..... shocked

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#424750 - 03/17/12 9:38 pm Re: A resident physicist needed again! [Re: Lannis]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By: Lannis
Originally Posted By: Mr Mike

What say oh learned one?
Mr Mike

I can't even get the Tecumseh engine on my power washer to start, I doubt if I'd be much good today at Origin of the Universe stuff .... !

But there's more to come - there's still things that Quantum Mechanics and Relativity don't explain, like how Gravity works and why the universe acts like there's way more mass around than we can see or measure. BUT - and this is a big But with prickly bosons and hot quasars on it - any theory that we come up with to enhance or replace what we have MUST also still explain the things we can see and measure.

So - trust but verify, says I ...

Lannis

Here's the deal on pressure washers, chain saws, weed whackers, outboard motors ect. Find a place that will sell you "non ethanol" gas and use only that stuff. I fill up two 5 gallon cans a couple times a year. When I used ethanol laced gas I took apart every single carb on all my gas powered things every spring....sometimes twice a year. I never do it now. My pressure washer was purchased in 1988 and it still starts on the second pull every time. My Mongomery Wards roto- tiller started on the second pull this year. Both have the original spark plugs.

On the more complicated stuff I am in awe that Einstein was able to figure that time was indeed a variable and light speed constant(among other things) and explain it with simple examples. Proving it mathmatically and with real experiments took another 10-15 years. Galileo, Newton, Michelson and Morley, Planck and the rest of that crowd were certainly out in front of the curve.

When I took physics back in the sixties, "quantun mechanics" was an obscure chapter that we skipped over.

Mr Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike; 03/17/12 9:39 pm.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.184s Queries: 15 (0.012s) Memory: 0.8755 MB (Peak: 1.0769 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:13:37 UTC