BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (79T140E), 179 guests, and 408 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
Triless 78
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
710,145 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,304
Posts665,017
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ET Ignition - Exlplained #418553
02/14/12 5:24 am
02/14/12 5:24 am
Southern California
Geoff Patrick Offline OP
Life member
Geoff Patrick  Offline OP
Life member

Southern California
I have two ET Ignition Cubs and I am working on a Cub Scrambler that I also want to equip with ET ignition. I recently saw on eBay, someone selling a "TRIUMPH TIGER CUB 12 VOLT CONVERSION KIT". There was a a detailed explanation of the benefits and how this kit, which consisted of a Wassell rotor/stator, was a "STRAIGHT BOLT ON CONVERSION REQUIRING NO SPECIAL ADAPTATION OR MACHINING". I asked the seller specifically if this kit worked in an ET system and he confirmed the fit. I thought that with the scarcity of genuine Lucas ET alternators, this would be a great solution for the scrambler Cub I am building with side-points and ET ignition coil, no lighting.

I bought and have recieved the Wassell alternator and it now leaves me with several questions to fill in my understanding of the ET system;

The Wassell stator has only two wires. Is it possible that this 12v alternator stamped "10A" would be made to power the ET ignition & lighting circuits through one output wire of the stator assuming one wire is ground?

The keyway position in Wassell WW10105P rotor hub does not correspond to the keyway position of a Lucas 54212006 rotor hub with repect to the nearest magnet. Is it possible that this rotor could still work with an ET ignition?

What is unique about the ET ignition coil?

What should I consider before using a 12v alternator with the 6v ET ignition coil?

Does this alternator seem like a direct 12v replacement for a Lucas 47197B or 47173B alternator in an ET Cub?

Thanks!

gp

Attached Files Wassell_Alt.jpg

Watch "American Triumph" at www.americantriumph.tv
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: ET Ignition - Exlplained [Re: Geoff Patrick] #418560
02/14/12 6:24 am
02/14/12 6:24 am
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: Geoff Patrick
The Wassell stator has only two wires. Is it possible that this 12v alternator stamped "10A" would be made to power the ET ignition & lighting circuits through one output wire of the stator assuming one wire is ground?

The keyway position in Wassell WW10105P rotor hub does not correspond to the keyway position of a Lucas 54212006 rotor hub with repect to the nearest magnet. Is it possible that this rotor could still work with an ET ignition?

What is unique about the ET ignition coil?

Does this alternator seem like a direct 12v replacement for a Lucas 47197B or 47173B alternator in an ET Cub?

Unfortunately, the short answer is 'no', this stator and rotor won't work on an ET system.

I'm sure you will get replies saying you should convert your ET system to a conventional one, but the ET has several advantages to recommend it. Not least of which is, you don't need a battery. However, it requires careful setup to work, and much of its reputation is due to people not understanding what needs to be done.

Briefly, a proper ET rotor is needed, because in order for the ignition system to work the rotor has to be keyed to the crankshaft so that its magnets are passing by the ET stator coils at just the moment the points open. Such timing of the rotor to the points isn't needed with a conventional system. The magnets in both types of rotors are the same, but the orientation of the keyways differ, and the difference is critical.

Next, a proper ET stator is needed, which uses a different number of windings (and hence a different voltage) for the ignition coils than for the lighting coils.

Finally, a proper ET high tension coil is needed. Here, there's a problem, because it seems Lucas must not have completely cleaned the solder flux from the tiny wires, and as a result many of these coils are dead. However, you can easily determine with an ohmmeter whether yours is still OK. And, even if it's not, Honda coils from certain bikes made in the 1970s are direct substitutes.

But, I'm getting ahead of the story. You'll need to get the correct rotor and stator for your bike before any of the rest of this matters.

Re: ET Ignition - Exlplained [Re: Magnetoman] #418562
02/14/12 6:35 am
02/14/12 6:35 am
redondo beach, ca
Bob G Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob G  Offline
BritBike Forum member

redondo beach, ca
The ET system is an AC "magneto" with the components spread over the bike, (and with lighting coils) instead of in a single package. Same setup the Japanese used on a lot of singles in the 70s and 80s.
I would prefer the DC setup with the capacitor if I wanted to run without a battery. I had my fill of the ET system with a round barrel Victor.

Bob Gregor
Re: ET Ignition - Exlplained [Re: Geoff Patrick] #418651
02/14/12 5:32 pm
02/14/12 5:32 pm
Southern California
Geoff Patrick Offline OP
Life member
Geoff Patrick  Offline OP
Life member

Southern California
I am a Lucas ET Ignition Fan. Both of my road-going Mountain Cubs have original Lucas ET systems and they work great. I love having a full lighting system and no battery. I have had very little touble with exception to finding replacement Lucas ET alternators. Fortunately, I was able to successfully repair an un-encapsulated stator with fresh wires.

I really should have known better than to believe that there was a "silver bullet" alternator that would single-handedly convert the system to 12v for only $150! I will build my scrambler with a genuine Lucas ET system.

Thanks for the info everyone!

gp

Attached Files Stator74988a.jpg

Watch "American Triumph" at www.americantriumph.tv
Re: ET Ignition - Exlplained [Re: Geoff Patrick] #418662
02/14/12 6:50 pm
02/14/12 6:50 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: Geoff Patrick
I am a Lucas ET Ignition Fan.

I, too, have long been a fan of this system. I have it on two of my bikes, one that I've had for over 40 years, and the other 15 years. In all that time I've had two failures, one that is specific to the ET system. As I mentioned in my previous post, unfortunately there seems to be a defect in the high voltage side of the coils, that I speculate is caused by residual acid flux slowly eating through the very fine wire. The resistance of the primary should be 0.6 Ohms, and that of the problematic high tension side 5.2-5.6 kOhms. With a standard ohmmeter it's hard to distinguish 0.6 Ohms from a dead short, but my experience is that such a short is unlikely. If your secondary is ~5 kOhms you should be fine (for now).

Luckily, this is easily solved by replacing the Lucas coil with one of several coils used on Hondas and Yamahas. The same model number was used on several bikes, with and without ET-type coils, but to give one specific example, those coils were used on a 1974 Honda XL125. The part no. is 30500-355-003, superceded by 30500-950-405. This coil comes with a condenser riveted to the laminated housing. Leave the condenser in place, cut the wire, and attach your own replaceable external condenser between the wire and ground instead. Don't be tempted to drill the old condenser out -- the laminations need to be left intact.

The other failure I had was with an unencapsulated stator. However, this is a problem equally likely to happen to a non-ET stator. The good thing about unencapsulated stators is that it is usually easy to repair them. The bad thing is, they are more susceptible to failure. A BSA service bulletin from the early '60s recommended that racers encapsulate the wiring by dipping their stators in glyptol. What most people may not appreciate is that the oscillating magnetic field due to the motion of the rotor subjects the coils to rather large oscillating forces. If any of the coils in the stator is free to move at all, this eventually causes a wire or solder joint to break.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership