BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,644 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#413918 - 01/18/12 4:34 pm '66 T120R fuel tank decals  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
Most if not all the retored '66 T120R tanks I've seen have the Bonneville Record decal with the thunderbird sitting to the left of the tank center stripe and in line with the filler neck. Yet, when I bought my paint from Don Hutchinson, he said that he's never seen an original tank with that decal on it. And he said he has over 100 original Triumph tanks hanging in his shop.

I don't doubt Don or his expertise. But I'm thinking that this decal could have been one of those things that got polished off, or even purposely removed by new owners. It's really like a label on a sport jacket cuff that says "single needle tailoring" and not something you leave on when you wear it.

So, does anyone know if the bikes were shipped with that decal on the tank?

Along the same lines, the decals set I have coming from the UK has a Bonneville decal that they list as "optional" and if used to be placed near the same spot as the above record decal. Anyone know if that decal was used?

Thanks,
Rob

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#413922 - 01/18/12 4:51 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
charlie akey Offline
BritBike Forum member
charlie akey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

albion New York
I Have a 1966 thunderdird in my shop with that decal . The women bought it new . Has 2544 miles on clock . I can send pictures . The decal is all most faded away . Charlie

#413940 - 01/18/12 6:34 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: charlie akey]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
Thanks Charlie. A picture would be nice if it is not too much trouble. I suspected that the old water transfer decals were quickly rubbed away given that the tank was probably polished every time the ride swung a leg over the bike. If I ever get a chance to visit Don's shop, I'm going to ask him if I can inspect one of his original tanks with a 10X loupe for any signs of an old decal.

I assume you are talking about the speed record decal since this is a T-bird. Does it happen to say Thuderbird near it? Wondering about my other Bonneville decal that is optional.

So, that's a T-bird with the decal. Can anyone confirm a Bonnie?

regards,
Rob

Last edited by Snakeoil; 01/18/12 6:35 pm.
#413948 - 01/18/12 6:49 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
charlie akey Offline
BritBike Forum member
charlie akey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

albion New York
Snakeoil The decal is (thunderbird world motorcycle on top ) bottom reads (speed record holder ) with made in England . Domi racer show one part #44-00057 Charlie Send me your e mail for pictures

#413956 - 01/18/12 7:21 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii

Triumph started applying this decal as soon as the record was made. Here's a '57. Dead original paint and transfers. You can still see the transfers on the tank and nacelle. World record is just above the damper knob and Made in England is just opposite the gas cap. On sport bikes(without nacelle) both of these decals were on the tank as you described.
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#413957 - 01/18/12 7:34 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
I believe the transfers were applied as the bike was leaving the assembly line so they would be on top of the paint with no clear coat. I would think they could be rubbed off quite easily.

Boomer
#413990 - 01/18/12 9:59 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Boomer]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
Thank you, gentlemen. Others have said similar to your comments. The decal will be doing on my tank.

Found out the small Bonneville is for later model.

regards,
Rob

#413995 - 01/18/12 10:17 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
One other question. Is there an instruction anywhere for the differnt years and models regarding correct positioning of the various decals used on the bike?

It would save asking questions for each of the various decals.

I recently read that the Made in England you commonly see on the front right frame tube, and which my T140V has, was not used on the '66 models? My frame had it, but it was a repaint so could have been put on without knowing if it was correct or not.

Thanks and regards,
Rob

Last edited by Snakeoil; 01/18/12 10:18 pm.
#413996 - 01/18/12 10:25 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Steve Erickson Offline
Steve Erickson  Offline

The Northwoods... Michigan
Just in case you didn't know, the 66 T120R decals you're talking about are black, not gold. There was a similar thread a couple months ago that I posted a link to a stock 66 tank picture on, Search may turn it up.

...and here it is; http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthread...3934#Post363934

Last edited by Steve Erickson; 01/18/12 10:42 pm.
#414050 - 01/19/12 3:23 am Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Snakeoil
Is there an instruction anywhere for the differnt years and models regarding correct positioning of the various decals used on the bike?

It would save asking questions for each of the various decals.

I recently read that the Made in England you commonly see on the front right frame tube, and which my T140V has, was not used on the '66 models? My frame had it, but it was a repaint so could have been put on without knowing if it was correct or not.

They just republished David Gaylin's excellent book, Triumph Bonneville & TR6 Motorcycle Restoration Guide 1956-1983. You can order it from Octane Press.

http://octanepress.com/book/triumph-bonneville-and-tr6-motorcycle-restoration-guide

He does a very good job of explaining the decals and their placement. Here's a pic of an original 1964 T120R tank just before it went in to be painted. You can barely see what's left of the World Motorcycle Speed Record Holder and the Made in England decal -- both in black.
[Linked Image]
Here's what Gaylin said about the scripted Made in England decal for the front right frame tube,

"Perhaps the most common mistake is the overuse of the scripted "Made in England" (#D3361) sticker. This was actually a BSA decal and wasn't used on Triumphs until the parent company began integrating the two marques in the late 1960's. Even then, it did not appear on twins until the 1971 model year. To see this BSA sticker unknowingly applied to earlier Triumphs is very distressing."

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#414181 - 01/19/12 10:15 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: TR6Ray]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
Damn!!! '66 is the ONLY year for black decals on the tank??!!! Well, guess I won't be using my new decal set when it arrives. Need to contact the vendor to see if he has them in black. Every '66 I've seen has had the gold record and MiE decals on the white tank. Even the '66 T-bird here, with original paint is gold.

I truly appreciate all the input and links to threads. Redmoggy's bike looks excellent. I wish I had the ability to paint. Well, I have the ability I suspose, just not all the tools and know-how. Plus NY winters are not very conducive to paining outdoors or with the garage doors open.

Thanks and regards,
Rob

#414374 - 01/20/12 10:57 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
As a follow up, the gent I purchased my decals from said he has the decals in black, but to date has never gotten a request for them. He has them if anyone is looking for them. He sent them out from the UK at the beginning of the week and they arrived in NY today. He charges $2.00 for postage and sends them via airmail. Here's a link to his site. http://www.fromanothertime.com/Decals/Decals02Triumph.htm
Site has a lot of pages unfinished. But if you email him, he will tell you if he has the decals for your particular bike. Nice guy. Little nuts, but I like that in a person.

After seeing the '66 T-bird above with the gold MiE label and the '64 with black record decal, I'm wondering if they did not continue to use gold on the white tanks and black on the colored tanks. Guess I need to get a copy of that book.

regards,
Rob

#414393 - 01/21/12 1:18 am Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Rob, paint with the doors shut and a heater. You would be amazed at the crap you have to have laying around. Sand papers, sanding blocks, paint cups, mixing sticks, paper towels, panel wipe, paint mask,fine line tape, masking tape, masking paper, thinners, primers, paints, clears, hardeners, buffer, buffer pads, compounds, polishes, striping brush. Then there is the guns and a suitable compressor. I only justify it by doing little jobs for other people.

As for the decal, i think the Thunderbird used a gold decal because of the red tank. There was a 66 for sale on the board with an original tank that had the remains of a black decal, that's what I'll be going with when i finally get around to finishing my tank.

Rod

#414402 - 01/21/12 3:03 am Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: R Moulding]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
My mistake. Reading all the various posts somehow I managed to combine Charley's reply regarding the '66 T-bird with H-Tiger's pic of the '57 with the white tank and gold decal. Posts were in sequence and will claim that as my official excuse for confusion. Gray hair has nuthin' to do with it.

Need to see if Trev has the black MiE decal as well. I must admit, I think the gold decals look better on the white tank, but correct is correct so, that's what I'll use.

Again, thanks for the guidance.

regards,
Rob

#414548 - 01/21/12 11:55 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
A little follow up info I thought I'd share. Talked to my decal guy in the UK. Sent him Charlie's T-bird picture. He said, that the black decals were only used on non-US spec bikes. He said that the T120R, US spec either had gold or no decals. The last bit would line up with what Don Hutchinson told me.

I do know that the white tank with red stripes was a US spec only paint scheme. So,I could see it having differen decals than the domestic bikes.

Charlie, when Trev looked at your photo, he said he thinks the Made in Englad decal had been replaced at some point or it would show the same wear as the world record decal. He said it should be black like the world record. From what he says, it would appear that T-bird is not a US spec bike. Do you know if the owner purchased it here or in the UK?

regards,
Rob

#414597 - 01/22/12 10:37 am Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
dave jones Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave jones  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Emsworth, sunny south of Engla...
After I had my tank painted I just put the waterslide decal on without anything over it and it looks fine. It has been on there for several years and loads of washes and still looks the same. As someone else said this is how they were put on in the factory and so why not do it like that? You can put any colour on you fancy because you can remove it again (with a long soak under a wet rag)!

#414622 - 01/22/12 2:25 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: dave jones]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
I hear you, Dave. If I was going for 100% correct, that would be the right way to go. But my bike will not be perfect (repop SS fenders, paper air filter elements, modified side cover brackets,powdercoated frame, SS spokes and maybe repop rims) so I'm clearing over all the decals and pinstriping for longevity purposes. I'll be dead or near dead when this bike gets a new owner so let that person worry about being 100%.

regards,
Rob

#414693 - 01/22/12 9:55 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
I have seen several NOS tanks of various years that were stocked by dealers as replacements for damaged ones, and none of these
new, unused tanks had decals on them. This leads me to believe
that decals were only put on the tanks of completed bikes before they were packed and shipped from Meriden.

"59 Bonnie" in New Zealand has learned that the "MADE IN ENGLAND" decal was not used on bikes sold in the U.K., so it must have been for export use only. Maybe just on bikes shipped to the USA? Any help on this question is appreciated.

As to decal color: There is much controversy on this, but black decals were certainly used on the gold '64 TR6 tanks, as I have seen two original, un-restored bikes with them. Generally, the darker colored ones got gold decals, and the lighter colored and metallic colored ones got black.

#414779 - 01/23/12 9:58 am Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
dave jones Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave jones  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Emsworth, sunny south of Engla...
I was talking about sticking on what you fancy rather than 100% accurate. You can stick a mickey mouse picture on if you can take it off easily!

#414852 - 01/23/12 6:01 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
Doesn't mickey belong on a Hardley? We need to be correct with these decals!

Bob

73 Triumph T140 Main Ride
70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

Who are the brain police?

#414860 - 01/23/12 6:22 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: dave jones]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
I understood what you were saying, Dave. Not sure I'd put Mickey. Homer Simpson, maybe.

#415222 - 01/25/12 1:58 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Old Cafe Racer Offline
BritBike Forum member
Old Cafe Racer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

OZ
Originally Posted By: Snakeoil
As a follow up, the gent I purchased my decals from said he has the decals in black, but to date has never gotten a request for them. He has them if anyone is looking for them. He sent them out from the UK at the beginning of the week and they arrived in NY today. He charges $2.00 for postage and sends them via airmail. Here's a link to his site. http://www.fromanothertime.com/Decals/Decals02Triumph.htm
Site has a lot of pages unfinished. But if you email him, he will tell you if he has the decals for your particular bike. Nice guy. Little nuts, but I like that in a person.

After seeing the '66 T-bird above with the gold MiE label and the '64 with black record decal, I'm wondering if they did not continue to use gold on the white tanks and black on the colored tanks. Guess I need to get a copy of that book.

regards,
Rob

I had Trev at from another time make me some custom decals for the Daytona factory replica tank I have on order in gold waterslide and suprisingly he tells me it's fine to clear coat them with automotive acrylic lacquer... that's worth knowing as the other transfers I have from another British supplier are totally allergic to anything except turpentine based varnish or as I also found polyurethane clear coat.

#415247 - 01/25/12 4:26 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Old Cafe Racer]  
Snakeoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Snakeoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
I think the secret is to lightly dust them with a couple of coats before you put a wet coat over them.

He's a very helpful guy and his sense of humor is great.

regards,
Rob

#415351 - 01/25/12 10:12 pm Re: '66 T120R fuel tank decals [Re: Snakeoil]  
Bob~NJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob~NJ  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Camden NJ USA
hi all,

I applied waterslides and clear coated them with acrylic lacquer from dupli-color(clear coat). I sprayed one of those sponge brushes until it was saturated and gave the decal one light brush. After 5-6 years they still look great.

Cheers~Bob

A65LB

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.721s Queries: 15 (0.015s) Memory: 0.9886 MB (Peak: 1.3367 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:07:22 UTC