BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
199 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,602 guests, and 584 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts
9960 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 82
NickL 70
Popular Topics(Views)
439,889 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,302
Posts632,375
Members9,960
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#413816 - 01/17/12 10:20 pm Spider laughs at Grandadís expense!  
Grandad Online content
BritBike Forum member
Grandad  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

The Crypt - South East England
It has come to Spiderís ear that Grandadís other half has put her foot down and is demanding equal rights, so that for every pound spent on his bike one has to go into her purse. Failure to comply will result in heavy kitchen duties!! Letís hope that Grahamís and Howieís wives donít also take up their cudgels when they hear about it! Needless to say Spider could not resist an appropriate cartoon .

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#414189 - 01/19/12 11:03 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
ha ha! woops.

claim the bike to be of the female persuasion, then you can double the amount going into *her*?

just a thought....

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#414278 - 01/20/12 1:32 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
I know exactly how Spider feels ... to me, the Bikes are things that need to have money spent on them and new ones bought and traded. The House is a static thing - I built it, live in it, and it sits there and I just pay the utility bills.

But to Fay, the House is a living, breathing thing. Somehow, it doesn't like the butcher-block counter tops that it's had for 18 years, it suddenly feels a need for granite. Appliances, which appear to me to be working perfectly well, need replacing with more functional ones. Closets need to be moved from here to there, perfectly functional floors need refinishing, window treatments need replacing with ones made out of spun gold, apparently.

So we're setting up two separate funds now, direct deposited from the paycheck, with their own checking accounts and everthing ... one for the bikes, where I get to spend whatever happens to be in it on bikes, and one for the house, that I don't even LOOK at and she gets to spend whenever enough is built up in it for the next project.

That ort to reduce the angst and the "You're spending HOW MUCH on WHAT!!????" .....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#414298 - 01/20/12 3:11 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
Dr. Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dr. Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Montana, USA
I would like to have half of what my wife spends on horses.

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
#414299 - 01/20/12 3:18 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Dr. Z]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dr. Z
I would like to have half of what my wife spends on horses.

You could support a Brough-Superior vintage racing team for what horses cost. The stupid things eat and get sick even when you're not riding them!

And the older they get, the less they're worth.

My bikes look like a brilliant investment compared to horses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the idea doesn't cross a certain person's mind ... !

Lannis

#414442 - 01/21/12 11:08 am Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
Blimey, knowing how much you and Graham spend on bikes, they won't be getting enough between them to buy a round! laughing laughing

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#414900 - 01/23/12 9:53 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
Graham Ham Offline
Private sponsor
Graham Ham  Offline
Private sponsor

South East England
Kev Said : "...Blimey, knowing how much you and Graham spend on bikes, they won't be getting enough between them to buy a round!..."

Quite true Kev, Quite true.

We both have Triumphs, see ?

bigt

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=18

#414967 - 01/24/12 3:09 am Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Too true Graham. with the winter boredom set in I want to go out to the shed and fettle but with having two Triumphs they really don't need any fettling and I haven't gotten bored enough to polish. That will come about mid February.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#415262 - 01/25/12 5:27 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
JT441 Offline
BritBike Forum member
JT441  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Cadillac, MI
Lannis's solution sounds similar to the one my wife and I worked out a few years ago. We each get an equal weekly allowance to spend on whatever suits our fancy, no questions asked. It has worked great for us.

JT441
'70 B44
'71 T120
'66 Spitfire
'85 Honda Shadow (the SO's bike)
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'96 Honda Pacific Coast
#415267 - 01/25/12 5:38 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: JT441]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: JT441
Lannis's solution sounds similar to the one my wife and I worked out a few years ago. We each get an equal weekly allowance to spend on whatever suits our fancy, no questions asked. It has worked great for us.

Sorting out the money - one of the huge Top Three items that a couple needs to be in total agreement on before the marriage will work smoothly.

It's different for different couples. Sometimes they agree that SHE will manage the money, and the husband asks for what he wants. Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes, they manage a joint account TOGETHER, and sometimes separate accounts is the best way to go.

Fay and I have one account we spend together on normally monthly expenses like groceries, we have one account for gasoline so we can just run our card through the pump with no concern that it will overdraw when we buy groceries (and the gas account is up to $300 a month even riding bikes and driving gas savers!), we have one account that gets automatically debited for utilities, insurance, taxes and such, we have one account for church and charities (an automatic straight 10% of whatever I make each month), then we each have a separate account for bikes (me) and the house (her). The last two aren't very big, but they're guilt free!

Lannis

#415273 - 01/25/12 5:47 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Grandad]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
It's different for different couples.

Lannis, it sounds like you and your wife have everything covered: Gas, Groceries...
But I read nothing about beer en liquor, or is that covered by the groceries?

My wife had to pay a dental bill... implants...
It's done in Brasil, her home country; European standards but half the price, but even now: what can I spend a lot of money on bikes before she can complain! laughing

Ger B

#415274 - 01/25/12 5:53 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Ger B]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Ger
My wife had to pay a dental bill... implants...
It's done in Brasil, European standards but half the price, but even now: what can I spend a lot of money on bikes before she can complain! laughing

I need to have some dental implants to replace 3 molars that have gone AWOL in the last 5 years ...

... but how in the world would I be able to trust that a Brazilian oral surgeon is really going to be up to American standards? Besides the plane tickets and hotel bills?

Lannis

#415276 - 01/25/12 5:56 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Ger B]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Ger
Quote:
It's different for different couples.

Lannis, it sounds like you and your wife have everything covered: Gas, Groceries...
But I read nothing about beer en liquor, or is that covered by the groceries?

How do you think I can afford to run these old bikes and such?

No bills for:

1) Alcohol
2) Drugs
3) Alimony
4) Child Support
5) Apartment and Credit Card for Outside Woman
6) Bum children moving back in

I don't see how some people do it, I really don't .... shocked laughing

Lannis

#415277 - 01/25/12 5:58 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Lannis]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Being serious: standards in upstate Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo, or in the South East of Brasil are as you are used to in the US and we are in Europe.
She does not pay hotel bills as she stays with relatives, and she speaks the language...
Flights... the difference in price covered the trip out and back...

Quote:
How do you think I can afford to run these old bikes

I consider it a sacrifice for the sake of the future of humanity.
So in the next century and in the centuries after that we will be praised by the owners of the fly-cycles of that era...

Ger B

#415311 - 01/25/12 8:07 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Lannis]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: Lannis

... but how in the world would I be able to trust that a Brazilian oral surgeon is really going to be up to American standards? Besides the plane tickets and hotel bills?

Lannis

many surgeons are trained in, or have worked in US Hospitals, since the European and American standards are THE standards to aspire to. go to ANY hospital in any major city, and you will hear all manner of accents. Penn State has a huge training hospital here- and there are folks from the world over who come to train there.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#415333 - 01/25/12 9:04 pm Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
Originally Posted By: Lannis

Lannis

many surgeons are trained in, or have worked in US Hospitals, since the European and American standards are THE standards to aspire to. go to ANY hospital in any major city, and you will hear all manner of accents. Penn State has a huge training hospital here- and there are folks from the world over who come to train there.

Maybe it's all what you're used to. When I go to my dentist, I drive through a pretty clean city, that I can safely walk through; everyone has access to clean water, has flush toilets in the house, I see little to "put me off", although it does have its poorer sections, the poor people live pretty much like I do - they drive cars, pee inside the house instead of the street or a johnnyhouse, send Emails, heat up Stouffer's frozen dinners in the microwave. The office is clean with modern equipment, and looks like it belongs in a First World country.

If I were to go to the dentist in Sao Paulo, I'd have to pass by 2 million people (of what, 15 million in the city?) living on the hillsides in cardboard boxes and tin shacks in squalor, no clean water, streets filled with garbage and sewage, and you'd be taking your life in your hands to walk through there. I'm afraid that by the time I got to the dentists office, I'd not be in the mood any more, regardless of how well trained the guy is ....

But that's just me. Different people are put off by different things. When my boys were babies, I could change a poopy diaper with one hand and eat a cheese sandwich with the other ....

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 01/25/12 9:05 pm.

#415429 - 01/26/12 6:15 am Re: Spider laughs at Grandadís expense! [Re: Lannis]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
When my boys were babies, I could change a poopy diaper with one hand and eat a cheese sandwich with the other

The perfect subject for a new Grandad's Spider cartoon?

smile

Ger B

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.961s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9268 MB (Peak: 1.1946 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 18:08:01 UTC