BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron C
Ron C
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
222 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,801 guests, and 537 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,348 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,274
Posts632,183
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#412421 - 01/09/12 12:40 am kick start frigged up my knee  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
i know this is not a medical forum but i was kicking one of the bikes the other day to free up the clutch plates and they let go all at once and the kicker went down in a flash and my knee hyperextended or something like that and now it hurts like mad and kicking a bike makes a shooting pain and i am hobbling around...i bet this has happened to some of ya'll so any suggestions to stop the pain and or fix the knee short of a trip to the orthopedic surgeon?

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#412426 - 01/09/12 1:02 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Doc_dup1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Doc_dup1  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara
I had the same problem last summer. I have a buddy who is new to Triumph's and he was having a problem starting his 65 T120 one night at the local pub. I offered to help and ended up in a knee brace for a month when the thing locked up. The good news is that the brace fixed the problem and all is well now. The doc thought that it might be a torn tendon. I doubt that was the case, but it sure did hurt for a while. I suggest that you try one of those doc in the box places and get an estimate.

Good luck,

Doc

Doc

Mostly Triumphs with a few BSA's and a Norton.

#412443 - 01/09/12 2:24 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: Doc_dup1]  
franko Online content
BritBike Forum member
franko  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Wisconsin, USA
RAF: I crawl through boilers, precipts and dust collection systems and climbed columns before it was banned, My knees were so bad that I had to lean side to side as I walked just to keep the joints lined up straight up and down. I got it alot better by using volleyball knee pads with the backs cut a bit to reduce binding. Taking SHARK CARTILIDGE from GNC stores also played a big part in healing up what I had already damaged. I started with the 3 pills a day that is recommended. after the first bottle or so I could feel it getting better. Once I was set, I cut it back to 1 pill a day. At times it felt so good that I would forget to take any for a week or so, then the pain would start back. Back to 1 pill a day. After a couple of years the joints seem to be better and I only use about a bottle a year just to keep up, but I always wear the knee pads under my bibs. Some of the other people in my trade use glucosamine with similar results, but the shark worked for me. All of the other pads that I used would collapses and have flat spots, the hard faced ones were just too hard to work in for 10 hrs a day. Good luck frank coleman

#412488 - 01/09/12 11:13 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
I've done the same thing. Old CH sportster to blame. Takes time to heal. I was starting the bikes with my left leg for awhile. Glucosamine would probably help.

#412492 - 01/09/12 12:17 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: Mike Baker]  
Skeet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Skeet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Orleans Massachusetts
Add me to the CH list. Interesting technique to get them started. Kinda climb up on them, putting your left knee on the seat, get the piston in the right position and come down with your full body weight. God help you if and when the ratchet let go. cry
Took awhile to heal as I recall. Didn't see a Dr. in them days. Just stuck it out.

Last edited by Skeet; 01/09/12 12:45 pm. Reason: punct.

Skeet Enjoy life....it has an expiration date..
1964 Hornet
1970 TR6R
1971 Norton
1972 XLH
#412496 - 01/09/12 1:21 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
raf, Sit on bike. Rock bike back and forth to unstick plates. Start bike.

Alternatively, fit the Norman Hyde (Late Triumph) style narrowed friction area 7 plate Surflex clutch.

One never knew when the three balls that are used in an Indian kick starter would defy gravity! Ask my right knee...

#412502 - 01/09/12 1:49 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Ditto on the Sportster knee for me too. Did it when I was 21 years old, and I feel it now more than when I did it. Maybe some of that shark cartilage might be the trick? Tried glucosomine but not so much help.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#412514 - 01/09/12 3:32 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Al Eckstadt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
Raf, I hope your knee heals quickly. It hurt just to read your story. I have occasional knee pain from years of being an equipment mechanic. Excessive kick starting will cause it to flare up. I use one of those black rubbery wraps with the velcro closures. It provides some support and allows it to heal better. Al.

Al Eckstadt
#412541 - 01/09/12 6:43 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
First things first , I'd start with getting that Triumph in proper tune , when they are "right" they can be some seriously easy starting machines .Personally , I have some seriously wrecked knees and if I were tasked with kickstarting an ironhead sporty or a big brit single I'd be tempted to wear the don joy brace as it will not allow the knee to hyperextend .What I do to keep the knees working properly is to ride a bicycle and spend some time at the swimming pool when possible.I have had the entire maniscus removed from one knee and it is held together with sucrose pins and a cadaver graft for the ACL. I find that babying the knees is the worst thing for them , the more active I stay the better they feel.

FWIW-BONZO

#412546 - 01/09/12 7:28 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
I did exactly the same thing and it hurt for about 4 days then went away. Nothing serious wrong I guess but I was worried. If it gets worse or doesnt get better then go to the doctors. That what I would do anyway. Could be why I never go to doctors. I hit a deer and broke my elbow and waited 12 hours before I went to the hospital. I do go sometimes as you see. laughing

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#412550 - 01/09/12 8:19 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: wadeschields]  
Skeet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Skeet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Orleans Massachusetts
Bonzo - This is exactly why I went for a "girlie bike" with an electric pedal, although I might stick a regular kick start on there for if & when the battery decides to die. laugh
Hang in there raf, you'll heal. Just hobble around Gently. bigt

Skeet Enjoy life....it has an expiration date..
1964 Hornet
1970 TR6R
1971 Norton
1972 XLH
#412560 - 01/09/12 8:54 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Roadwarrior Offline
Private Sponsor
Roadwarrior  Offline

Private Sponsor

El Dorado, California
Wacked mine many years ago with the BSA Hornet. Take time, beer, vicodan, beer and more time to heal. I had a 76 OIF that did that. I started it, rolled down hill in nuetral with the clutch in and then pulled it up to second. Drove the bike for about 30 feet in second with the clutch still in, and then it would break loose. I finally swapped out the plates and problem solved.

Bob

73 Triumph T140 Main Ride
70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

Who are the brain police?

#412566 - 01/09/12 9:14 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Skeet , I feel ya BRO !!My job requires me to climb many latters and crawl many elevated walkways ....when I go more than a week without the bicycle my knees lock up ..Vicodin is BS, that stuff makes me nauseous

FWIW-BONZO

#412589 - 01/09/12 10:30 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Mitch C. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mitch C.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
RAF.. I feel your pain.. I messed my right knee up last Saturday morning, and at this point is in very bad shape, one thing that has helped me so far was buying a Mueller adjustable knee support at Wal mart for 11 bucks, and icing down the area as well. For me, it will be some time before I am kicking anything... including tires!

#412614 - 01/10/12 2:17 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: BONZO
First things first , I'd start with getting that Triumph in proper tune , when they are "right" they can be some seriously easy starting machines .Personally , I have some seriously wrecked knees and if I were tasked with kickstarting an ironhead sporty or a big brit single I'd be tempted to wear the don joy brace as it will not allow the knee to hyperextend .What I do to keep the knees working properly is to ride a bicycle and spend some time at the swimming pool when possible.I have had the entire maniscus removed from one knee and it is held together with sucrose pins and a cadaver graft for the ACL. I find that babying the knees is the worst thing for them , the more active I stay the better they feel.

FWIW-BONZO

best thing for knee health is quad strength, so Bonzo, i find it no wonder your knee feels better if you keep it strong. sounds like your plan of bicycling + swimming is a good one. my old tore up shoulders also feel better if i keep 'em strong.

Glucosamine only helps in the long run, many folks don't take it long enough to have it take hold, and the effects are more subtle anyway. if you take it religiously over the long haul it does much more good. it is not an end-all treatment but combined with exercise can help to more *lubricate* the joints than alleviate pain.

RAF, hope you heal well- about the only thing you can do is probably stay off the leg for a while (yeah right?), then ease back in with a series of bicycling and maybe some squats or something to build quad (and general leg) strength.

my knees aren't what they once were, i had the right one get tore up in a bike crash, and mysteriously wrecked the left knee- working i think- tho there was no big *ouch* moment. i suspect super heavy Cirque Du Soleil pieces from a couple years back- a 53' tractor trailer held two pieces and we had to roll 'em into an arena.

good luck!

Tom

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#412958 - 01/11/12 6:32 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Instead of taking pills like Ibuprofen or Celebrex, try a topical like Voltaren. It avoids the systemic complications (ulcers and heart attacks) since it bypasses the digestive system.
Voltaren is relatively new and otherwise known as diclofenac sodium topical gel 1%. The max dosage is 32mg/day but I suspect you'll get by with less.
It is in the drug class known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory(NSAID)which was developed in order to reduce the complications of steroid use.
You'll need a prescription for it.
I use it on my arthritis. It works pretty good, I think.
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 01/11/12 6:35 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#412977 - 01/11/12 8:12 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
well it was feeling better but yesterday the rear master cylinder for the brakes on the T140 i am working on came and i ended up scooting around on the ground and up and down several times to get wrenches putting it on and by the time i was done the joint was throbbing again....my knee that is.....so....i am smearing on some stuff called Myoflex and wrapping it with ace bandage and it is somewhat better today....it occured to me that this is the same knee that was torn asunder when i was 16 years old and t-boned a dump truck that turned in front of me whilst i was riding my yamaha 250 catalina back in 1968....thanks for all the ideas fellers...

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#413017 - 01/12/12 12:28 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
Actually broke my right shin doing that. Knee cap put too much pressure on the bone! 6 weeks in an old style palster ankle to thigh cast, then another 4 weeks of physio. Could still kick start my triumph this August, 34 yeares after the event. You will heal!

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#413034 - 01/12/12 2:26 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
MikeinBiddeford Offline
Private sponsor
MikeinBiddeford  Offline
Private sponsor

Maine
Put me down as another believer in Glucosamine Chondroitin. It won't do a thing for your pain or swelling, but it will give your body the stuff it needs to rebuild the joint.
If it is throbbing so much I can't sleep, I use the vocodin or hydrocodone. But if it is just pain and swelling, Motrin is my friend.
It's funny how we all have a stash of pain meds.
raf940; get one of those motorcycle tables from Harbor Freight. You are too old to be working on the floor!

Please do not believe anything I write. I am a hack but I like to guess the right answers.
#413035 - 01/12/12 2:30 am Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
MikeinBiddeford Offline
Private sponsor
MikeinBiddeford  Offline
Private sponsor

Maine
Can I get me a "Norman Hyde (Late Triumph) style narrowed friction area 7 plate Surflex clutch" for my '71 TR6C?
The clutch plates that I have are brand new and they suck.

Please do not believe anything I write. I am a hack but I like to guess the right answers.
#413107 - 01/12/12 7:09 pm Re: kick start frigged up my knee [Re: raf940]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.512s Queries: 15 (0.014s) Memory: 0.9612 MB (Peak: 1.2711 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 17:30:40 UTC