BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DeejayP999
DeejayP999
London, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,704 guests, and 529 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 98
Stuart 87
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
435,973 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,261
Posts631,968
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#412204 - 01/07/12 8:30 pm BSA QD rear hub ID please  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
I need help identifying a rear quick detach hub from what I believe to be a BSA unit twin. The hub came with an A10 project bike (now sold) and I kept the hub, powder coated it and cadmium plated the hardware. I would like to sell it but need to know what it is in order to do so.

The hub:
has a 7" drum, 1 1/8" brake shoes, the drum has two flanges/ribs, no zerk fitting on the crinkle spindle, two 1640 bearings and a detachable chainwheel.
Take a look and if anyone could tell what is missing and/or post a correct parts list and diagram I would be grateful. Thanks!

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#412219 - 01/07/12 9:48 pm Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Swan: If all those bits came from the same bike I would say they are from a B44 based on the chain tension bits, long spindle and the size of the stub axle. They are not A65. Strange how the speedo drive seems to be in two parts.

Gordo

Last edited by Gordo in Comox; 01/07/12 9:59 pm.

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#412233 - 01/07/12 11:18 pm Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
Thank you both. One key difference from my hub and Gordo's chart is that my chainwheel fits the drum from the left (primary) side on to a stepped area (second photo above) where as the the drawing indicates the chainwheel fits on the opposite right side (timing) of the drum.

I realize now I am missing the large rubber ring, some shims and bearing caps.

My first thought was this was A65 and reminded me of my 66 Lightning quick detach hub, particularly with the speedo drive mount and memories of a large felt washer.

I will wait to let others chime in.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
#412244 - 01/08/12 12:12 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Swan: The parts diagram is misleading. The chainwheel goes on the left side as per the photo below.

Of course the A65 and B44 share the crinkle hub and at times the alloy brake plate before the larger stub axle was introduced but only the B44 has that particular long spindle and the open ended swingarm for those chain tension things. If you look at a bare hub and speedo drive from a B44 and an A65 you will not see any difference. The felt washer you mention goes into both of them and is #48 in the above B44 diagram.

The brake drums are different to take different chain wheels but I would have to go and dig some out for the details.

Gordo

#412249 - 01/08/12 12:57 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
pachy Offline
BritBike Forum member
pachy  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK

B44 GP bolts on from back (fast trackside sprocket swops)
B44 "all other models" cooling fins added round the drum & left no room for sprocket & bolt head clearance & bolts on from the front.

Last edited by pachy; 01/08/12 5:21 am.
#412254 - 01/08/12 1:26 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Swan: I dug out some bits and it appears that your brake drum is as per this example. Note the flange for mounting the chainwheel is well in from the edge of the brake drum. This is a B44 drum.

This example is I believe a drum for an A65. The chainwheel mounting flange is much closer to the edge of the brake drum.

I have never really looked at the differences before but it appears that it is all about moving the chainwheel mounting flange for the B44 to the right to align with the drive sprocket on the gearbox. Everything else is the same. The B44 has a more narrow engine. That also explains why it is hard to use a large tire on the B44 and still keep the chain clear of the tire.

Gordo

#412310 - 01/08/12 3:10 pm Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Gordo in Comox]  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
Gordo thank you very much for the images! Can you check the height of the flange of drums you posted? The flange on my drum is .420" (27/64").

Allan, I will measure and post the dimensions for my spacers.

Before

Last edited by Swan; 01/08/12 10:44 pm.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
#412408 - 01/08/12 11:46 pm Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Swan: I get 0.423 inches on the Victor drum flange and 0.188 inches on the A65 drum.

Gordo

#412458 - 01/09/12 5:33 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
Gordo, thank you again!
B44 Victor hub it is. I want to sell it and will list here on BB forum then go to e-bay.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
#412464 - 01/09/12 6:12 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
Kevin (NZ). Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kevin (NZ).  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch, NZ
What a great thread. Thanks so much guys for all that info and photos.

I have seen something similar with the forks before, - a run-down on all the differences.

We could almost produce a auto-jumble guide... things like this could be a trap for the unwary.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

#412480 - 01/09/12 8:39 am Re: BSA QD rear hub ID please [Re: Swan]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Gents .. I've 'been down the road' a bit dealing with the BSA rear wheels. BSA built many bikes from the parts bins, however they also made subtle changes to some pieces that aren't imediately noticed.

For starters .. I've had a rear '10 bolt' brake drum on my much modified '59 Goldie 'special' for several years. It has a Victor bolt on 47T 520 sprocket, alu backing plate and brake hardware. I also use a modified Victor rear axle. BTW, were you aware the '62 Goldie Competition model was OEM with a 10 bolt sprocket?

FWIW ... It takes some lathe work to fit a Victor axle with the hex head vs the OEM GS axle with the 'tommy bar' holes. It's worth the effort seems to me to be able to use a 13/16" wrench/socket vs a bar.
The Victor axle has a larger diameter for a short ways near the head that needs to be cleaned off. Also the axle is about 1/8" too long and needs shortening.

I learned a few things when I was building up a Gold Star road racer for a friend using a variety of BSA pieces from his boxed 'stuff' collection. grrrr. We wanted to fit a bolt on sprocket to allow easier gearing changes at the races.
First off I discovered that A65 QC rear wheel hubs and brakes are subtley different than Victor or pre unit pieces even tho they look the same. The A65 parts are all slightly larger/beefier, including the hub splines. Also metric bearings are used vs the earlier bike's inch sizes. A possible fit with a lot of modifications, but why bother?

My latest hurrah is with my current project building an 'improved' roadster from my '62 Competition 'parts bike' I've had for years. On this GS I'm also fitting a '10 bolt' brake drum with a 520 sprocket to allow using a DID 'X Ring' chain.
Anyhow ... I want to fit a chromed steel backing plate to be a bit correct. The steel plate that came on this bike that was fitted to a 10 bolt drum is pretty abused. Not to worry as I have another 'nice' plate. But... this identical looking plate is slightly larger in diameter and just barely rubs on the sprocket bolt heads. Aarrgh, another subtle difference in parts that will require working around.

Possibly interesting to someone: I'm using a Victor splined hub on this bike even tho it has the threaded end for a speedo drive. A spun formed and polished SS Huber hub cover specially made for a snug fit over the smaller thread OD works nicely. Also a lighter weight turned down Huber bearing spacer is in the hub. And of course sealed bearings are used in the drum and hub.

Last edited by dave - NV; 01/09/12 8:46 am.

dave - NV

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.357s Queries: 15 (0.056s) Memory: 0.8750 MB (Peak: 1.0838 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-19 21:50:32 UTC