BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (Adam M.), 1,830 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#342026 - 11/08/10 1:10 am castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions  
koob Offline
BritBike Forum member
koob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SK , Canada
I bought an AJS 370 Stormer ('70's 2-stroke) from a guy who doesn't know it's background,been in a shed for over 30 years, and all I have for reference material so far is the owner's manual. It recommends a 20:1 premix of Castrol R40 , and has a warning about not mixing castor oil and mineral oil. Is there a way to tell if the bike has been running on castor oil, and if it has what are the problems associated with switching to mineral oil? Is a special cleaning of engine internals required if changing to a 2-stroke mineral oil?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#342076 - 11/08/10 11:17 am Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: koob]  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Really bright question Koob.

I would love to own an Ajay Stormer but since you have it and not myself here goes.

If stored for many years it will need crankshaft seals and main bearings are cheap so replace them as well.

R40 went the way of stovepipe hats and percussion cap sixguns.

Good synthetic blend 2 stroke oil will outperform R40 in all aspects, particularly engine wear which is important when you have bloody great holes in the cylinder.

If it has spark and compression and will only pop and splutter you will be looking at lack of crankcase suction/compression and main brgs and crank seal replacement.

Those bikes are rare, look after it.

Last edited by Tiger; 11/08/10 11:19 am.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#342105 - 11/08/10 3:10 pm Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: Tiger]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
And you will NOT need to run synthetic at 20:1!

Yes, if you don't know the maintenance history of the bike, nor how long it has sat still, good practice suggests replacing the mains and seals.
While it's down that far, you would be cleaning every thing anyway, right?

When I was younger, and riding dirt MUCH more often, I had gotten to the point of knowing what ratio to run, dependant on the type of riding I was going to be doing;
If plonking around in the woods, or difficult terrain, where I was not riding at WOT all the time, 3 oz. per gallon.
If I was out in the wide open desert, with LOTS of country to travel accross, lots of WOT time, then 3.5 oz. to a gallon.
This was with dino oils....

I have no experience with synthetics. You will need to speak with others who do, then you might get a fair close answer to ratios....
Often, the last I knew about ratios for 'modern' dirt bikes, the factory recommendation was 32:1, which is about 4 oz. a gallon?
The old saw was "a little smoke is right", but with the EPA getting into their act, no smoke almost became mandatory.... I often see new 2-strokers making no smoke, and they live quite a long while!
Myself, I want to see a little smoke, lets me know I have enough in the pre-mix!
Brett
P.S. A 410 Stormer is rarer yet....

Last edited by Rickman; 11/08/10 3:13 pm.
#342124 - 11/08/10 4:26 pm Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: koob]  
koob Offline
BritBike Forum member
koob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SK , Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. You're probably right about the bearings & seals;but everything seems tight, and I'm tempted to remove the carb & pipe to give the crankcase,cyl.,primary case & gearbox a good flush with kerosene (coal oil) and see what I've got before I tear it right down. Do you think this would remove the bean oil and allow running on mineral oil, or does that require the total teardown? I'm also wondering about the gas tank being safe w/ ethanol gas, can't tell if it's fiberglass or molded plastic of some sort, anyone know for sure? I don't want to put a lining in it if it isn't req'd. Tiger, it's the only Ayjay I've seen in Canada outside of a magazine, do you see them in Aus.?

#342181 - 11/08/10 7:56 pm Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: koob]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
There are a few Starmaker engined bikes in Western Canada in trials and scrambles. One chap in this area has been scrambling a stormer in vintage events and may still be and I hear of at least one rider on the mainland riding trials on one. Cheers, Wilf.

"It's about the ride..."
#342188 - 11/08/10 8:16 pm Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: koob]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Koob. I have an original Stormer workshop manual. It includes 250, 370 and 410. My brother Gordo found it for me when I acquired a 1965 NOS never run Starmaker Trials engine with which I was going to put together a trials bike but have gone the C15 route and I'll now offer up the engine. I'll have to keep the w/s manual to go with the engine but, if you like, I'll photocopy the manual and mail it to you. Send me your mailing adress and I'll get it to you soon as I get out. I'm just recovering from some surgery and it may be a week. Cheers, Wilf.

I think Tiger is right. Two stroke engines rely on the main bearing seals and yours could be hard as rocks. This manual will help you get there. When I got this engine, there was at least one very good supply of parts in England. Cheers, Wilf

Last edited by Wilfred; 11/09/10 3:43 am.

"It's about the ride..."
#410317 - 12/26/11 9:09 am Re: castor oil & AJS 370 Stormer questions [Re: Wilfred]  
awesomebsa Offline
BritBike Forum member
awesomebsa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

vancouver, b.c.
do not use synthetic as the bikes wrist pin has no needle bearings. it will seize

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.324s Queries: 15 (0.015s) Memory: 0.8363 MB (Peak: 1.0021 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:39:23 UTC