BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,643 guests, and 588 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,215 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,504
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#40984 - 07/22/08 7:27 am Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ignoramus  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
with the latter model A65's (std set up points ect not Boyer) Lucas provided a mark on the Alternator Rotor which lines up with a pin in the drive side cover for ignition timing.

My faltering memory tells me that this mark when checked with a strobe light (timing light) should be in line with the pin at FULL ADVANCE (37 crank angle before TDC)

IE the idol position (full retard, 12 dergrees before TDC) will show the line up with the strobe ANTI-clockwise (to the right of the pin) and move towards the pin as the revs are increased

The line is the full advance mark lined up with the pin??

I am right arnt I???

Havent checked it in ages and have borrowed a good timming light just for a couple of days

Thanks Guys

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#40985 - 07/22/08 10:15 am Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
The pin should line up with the mark @ full advance.
There are several places for the pin to be located depending upon which engine the cases became a part of.
All Lucas motorcycle alternator rotors have the same shaft size & taper so they are all interchangeable so some of the wrong marks could end up behaving in the manner you describe but it was not by intentional ( nor intellergent) Design.
It is always prudent to check that the timing marks you are using are correct for your engine as there is a good chance that the rotor it is wearing now is not the same one it left the factory with.
Could not count the number of owners who cursed Boyer up hill & down dale because they just could not get their A 65 to run only to find that they were trying to time it to Triumph ignition marks.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#40986 - 07/22/08 1:12 pm Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
That's right, Ig. Just make sure the pin is in the right place for an A65. A50 use the pin in another hole...less advance that is.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#40987 - 07/22/08 7:44 pm Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
Thanks Alex and Trevor, It was just doing my head in thinking about it, couldnt remeber if it was Idol mark or full advance mark..I have the earlier shop manual that doesnt cover that year...and wanted to get it clear in my mind before i applied the strobe.

Good point about the rotor/case not being ex factory, as a general case, but on this bike I have owned it from new and never changed either

Thanks again for your conformation.

BTW Trevor I fixed the strange coil sparking prob you made helpfull comments about..just loose and dirty conectors..they did look ok however. Eyes detereorating eh.

#40988 - 07/22/08 8:05 pm Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
Do A SEARCH!!! 'Its all under search; "timeing" I put these guys thru this a short time ago.You will find everything you need to know.......as i didn't know anything ignoramus
bob s

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#40989 - 07/22/08 8:19 pm Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
BSATRI32
I did a search before I posted ...I dont think im to good on using the search feature ....couldnt find much...tried searching "a65 timming" "a65 strobe marks" A65 rotor advance ect ect ...I knew there would be stuff on here but just couldnt find it. I mainly found stuff about Boyer...will try again as I copy stuff onto a file for referance latter...specialy pics cheers

#40990 - 07/27/08 11:55 am Re: Quick question A65 timing with STROBE light, mark on Rotor  
richard p Offline
BritBike Forum member
richard p  Offline
BritBike Forum member

fairport new york
Another thing I would mention..... I have had trouble with the newer induction type strobe lights..... would not always work! I have since bought an "old school" type..... and it works much better.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.313s Queries: 14 (0.034s) Memory: 0.8351 MB (Peak: 0.9976 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 22:24:50 UTC