BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,640 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,807 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,438
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#404879 - 11/21/11 9:15 pm Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions?  
Simon Kavanagh Offline
BritBike Forum member
Simon Kavanagh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CA
Entering into my first full rebuild - '68 TR6. Does anyone have any suggestion/plans for a simple engine stand. I have bench space and could make floor space for a stand. I'm just into the top-end with the motor still in the frame but will soon pull the motor and it needs a home! Any advice, lessons learned, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

-Simon

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#404888 - 11/21/11 10:00 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
This is just a personal view and I guess other posters will have their own (probably different )views.
One of the best investments I have ever made is a bike lift. Not the little things that just go under the bike but a full length lift that you roll the bike onto.
This gives a good (and variable) height to work on various parts of the bike.
How does this relate to the question of the engine stand?--one might ask.
Well I use the bike lift to strip down the engine (and other parts of the bike).
With particular reference to the engine I strip off the head, barrel, primary drive, clutch, alternator, timing cover, timing gears, gearbox including outer and inner covers and gear sets.
Then I take the remains of the engine out of the frame. By then it is easy to lift and adjust. I then split the cases on the bench and rebuild the cases on the bench.
There are engine stands available on E-Bay for about $50 and these are rotatable (if that is a word) but I have never used one.
As soon as the cases are together I put it into the frame---at this stage it doesnt weigh much so you can install it without messing up the paint on the frame.
I then build the rest of the engine in the frame using the bike lift to get everything to a good working height.
HTH

#404899 - 11/21/11 11:04 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Beljum Offline
BritBike Forum member
Beljum  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Lotsa folks just clamp 'em in a vice with a little prop to hold the weight. I went ahead and did

this

I told you guys you are in trouble since I figured how to link to individual posts!! Muwhaaaa!! Haaaa!! Haaa!!!! (whilst wringing hands...)

Go for a ride on a preunit laugh

September 2010 Cuyahoga Valley Ride

'55 "The Mighty 6T", '73 Commando in boxes, '01 DR650, '90 CR250

#404920 - 11/22/11 12:53 am Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
Interesting topic. Trident man makes an excellent point, and the bike itself is likely the best "stand". However, there are other times that a free standing fixture is useful. As noted, they are available fairly cheap or you can build your own. I've done both, with satisfactory results.

Here's one I bought off eBay for unit BSA's works pretty well.

This one I built, originally for a Triumph I think, presently being modified to handle a Matchless.

However, there are times that you need to adapt. For example:

I built this stand for a P11 project, because it wasn't enough just to get the bike up in the air. I had to get under it to get the motor and trans spacing right. I still use this stand for other bikes, mostly pre-unit types that need alignment. Easy to build and works like a charm.

So you have options. Just buy a simple stand or better yet use your imagination. Design and build what works best for your particular situation. grin

PS. Pardon the mess of my shop workbench. Been a really nasty summer!

#404941 - 11/22/11 2:32 am Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I do it like Bel. As far as a bike stand goes I'm looking for another box like I used to have. A RevTech engine box would do nicely.
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#404946 - 11/22/11 2:42 am Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
I bought one of the stands from eBay from seller vwalley1 and I like it. It bolts right to your work bench or anywhere you want it too and you can turn your engine 360 degrees.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-650-750-...=item2a160e1d64

Item No. 180758650212

Last edited by Jon W. Whitley; 11/22/11 2:43 am.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#404975 - 11/22/11 12:14 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
wildbill Offline
BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Merry Point VA
Check out the reply from bp131 on this subject in the Jockey Journal Board Forum.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90025&highlight=engine+stand&page=2

#404991 - 11/22/11 2:26 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
ed_h Offline
BritBike Forum member
ed_h  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nebraska, USA
Here is one I made in an hour or so from on-hand stuff. Near bottom of page and on a few subsequent pages:

http://bullfire.net/Triumph/Triumph3/Triumph3.html

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!
#404995 - 11/22/11 2:39 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: ed_h]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
When an engine is in the stand, you can't work on the innards of the bottom end, so it'll be on the bench for at least 1/3 of a teardown, and 1/3 of the rebuild.

I'm seriously considering just installing a 2nd large vice (never fails you end up needing it when you have an engine clamped in it).

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#405044 - 11/22/11 6:59 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Me too--one 4" vice and one 6" vice---the latter holds the engine when out of the bike.
But--as soon as the crankcase halves are together it is into the bike frame and do the rest of the assembly using the bike lift to get a good working height.
This way the engine is at its lightest as you put it back in the frame---the frame that you have lovingly repainted and dont want to damage.
Works for me but---everyone to their own--it would be a strange old world if we all did everything the same.
HTH

#405061 - 11/22/11 8:40 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Simon Kavanagh]  
Simon Kavanagh Offline
BritBike Forum member
Simon Kavanagh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

CA
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I get into the project!

Cheers,
Simon

#405171 - 11/23/11 1:57 pm Re: Engine Stand Recommendations/Suggestions? [Re: Tridentman]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Tridentman
Me too--one 4" vice and one 6" vice---the latter holds the engine when out of the bike. But--as soon as the crankcase halves are together it is into the bike frame and do the rest of the assembly using the bike lift to get a good working height.This way the engine is at its lightest as you put it back in the frame---the frame that you have lovingly repainted and dont want to damage. Works for me but---everyone to their own--it would be a strange old world if we all did everything the same.HTH

Yes, and the engine properly braced in the frame gives you far better leverage for torquing the main crank & clutch nuts (and everything else).

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.621s Queries: 15 (0.081s) Memory: 0.8810 MB (Peak: 1.0999 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:01:22 UTC