BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,639 guests, and 588 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,215 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,504
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#402626 - 11/08/11 4:09 am Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles????  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
This season I managed to pick up a matching pair of Tri/BSA bicycles made by Raleigh.I know this is only marginally bike related but I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell what year they are or how to find info on them ?

Thanks-BONZO

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#402631 - 11/08/11 4:39 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Deadstiffcatt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Rear wheel hub on the three speed models is usually dated-which can give an inkling of the year of the bike.

I just rescued a Raleigh minus wheels from the trash bin where I live, lots of surface rust-chrome no good, but I was able to save the fenders, chainguard, and other bits for somebody like you who may need them for a restoration- I couldn't let those classic fenders be scrapped! Let me know if you are in need- pretty much just the cost of shipping and a little patience as I still need to separate the chainguard and rear fender from the frame. Joe

#402638 - 11/08/11 7:45 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Tasman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tasman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Tasmania - Gateway to Antarcti...
I've only just developed an interest in vintage bicycles in the last few months. I joined a cycling forum and have got no end of good information.

BSA bought out Triumph bicycles in 1952 and then Raleigh bought out BSA in 1957.

As Mr Cat stated, if they have Sturmey Archer rear hubs the date of manufacture will be stamped on the shell.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
#402662 - 11/08/11 12:40 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Thanks for the heads up on the hubs . I wass surprised to see sturmey archer on these .Joe , I think the Triumph has the wrong fender as it is just round profile and chromed,most I have seen have a taper at the front and a bead rolled in it .If this is what you have I'd be inteerested.I am kinda sorry I had to pass on a similar Royal Enfield bicycle at the B.O.B.,just not enough room on the garage wall.

Thanks again-BONZO

#402680 - 11/08/11 2:00 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Bonzo,

As previously stated, the hubs are a good cue, but it's easy to swap out the wheels on these bikes, so it's not always reliable. Other cues/clues to look for are bosses on the frame, rod brakes or cable, etc....

I had a few Triumphs as a kid and like their bigger, more powerful cousins, they're simple and easy to work on. I restored (mechanical) one I picked up on eBay a couple of years ago (1973 3-speed, complete):

Before:

After:

There are some great resources out there on the web:

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/

and of course, the late, great, Sheldon Brown. This site has a TON of info....not the best organized, but you can find pretty much everything you need to know about those old bikes here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/

HTH,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#402682 - 11/08/11 2:18 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Bonzo, What I have is the same as shown in Jubee's photo of the Triumph bicycle, albeit with lots of surface rust but of sound construction. I'll take some photos later today, but before anything I need to see the Great Glowing Orb of warmth rise out of the east and take it's daily flight so I can warm up a bit!

Sidenote: Now that I'm thinking about it, how do you guys on the east coast sleep at night?? I mean, it's strange enough to watch the sun come OUT of the water, but to watch it go down behind a bunch of trees and not light the entire planet on fire every night, well, I just don't know. Granted, California is the land of fruit(cakes) and nut(cases), but at least we have the sense to make sure the sun goes into the waters of the Pacific every night and is properly extinguished to prevent any overnight fires!!!!

#402691 - 11/08/11 3:20 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Bonzo - I may have overlooked showing you this one when you were here...

As a kid, we always called them "English racers"; much later, the common term used was "10-speed".

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#402699 - 11/08/11 4:29 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Steve , that looks just like what I have , other than the seat . White grips and cables etc.. , black paint .

Joe , if you have that fender in black , with plenty surface rust , that would be perfect , the Triumph is a bit rustier than the BSA and I want to leave the patina intact .A chain guard in that condition would be great as well , the on there was mangled and straightened .Lemme know what it will take to get it here if you wanna let go of it .

I haven't taken a look yet but the seat of the pants thinking is late 60's early 70's by the style but I see one advertised locally as a 50's??I'll check .

GP , I didn't see that one when I was there ,but I suspect there are a lotta treasures hidden in those catacombs that I didn't see . The versions I have are 3 speed , I don't think I have seen another 10 speed triumph .

Believe it or not , when I nabbed the BSA at Davenport I aired up the tire and rode it around for a couple of days . It musta looked a sight , a fat git on a skinny bicycle and all , but it really saved some miles on the feet.

Thanks for posting info and pics ,kinda surprised to see this much interest in bicycles on here -BONZO

#402717 - 11/08/11 6:17 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Al Eckstadt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
I have Triumph bike I would like to sell. Its not all orginal, there are alloy cranks and sprocket, alloy handlebars, and a leather sprung saddle. PM if you're interested.

When I was younger I had a Triumph ten-speed with chrome forks. I painted it in red and blue metalflake paint with hand trimmed gold in all the frame lugs. It looked really sharp. I gave it to a friend when I moved.
My ride of choice is now an Ashtabula off road frame with Sturmey Archer three speed/drum brakes front and rear. Big Carlisle balloon tire knobbies. It will go over hills, through water, sand, and mud so thick it clings to the tire and scrapes off onto the frame. Not so sure I can actually pedal that hard anymore though! It usually goes for rides on the Erie canal towpath with my dog Jammer following along. Al.

Al Eckstadt
#402723 - 11/08/11 6:31 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Originally Posted By: BONZO
kinda surprised to see this much interest in bicycles on here -BONZO

Bonzo- The way I see it, a BSA enthusiast has 4 choices when trying to enlighten an outsider as to the meaning of BSA:

1. Tell them they used to be a gun manufacturer back in the 1900's. (Like anybody is gonna believe that.)

2. Tell them that back in 1921 a group of boy scouts needed to earn a merit badge so they shoved a lawnmower engine into a bicycle frame and showed it at the fair. A visiting English gun salesman was so impressed with their handi work, he bought the rights to their "moto cycle" and started production in England, naming the new brand BSA in their honour. (Getting more believable, at least there are wheels involved.)

3. Show them a bloomin' BSA bicycle from the 60's with the 3 rifles BSA badge proudly displayed up front, and get the sucker to believe anything else you tell them from that day forward! (Heck, you now have EVIDENCE! Your word is GOLD!)

4. All of the above, AND make 'em buy you a cold one for the trouble of enlightening them......

By the way...... you do realize that your bicycle won't be truly safe until you pick up a Lucas 'Demon' bicycle oil lamp for night vision, as well as a Lucas bicycle bell to warn oncoming pedestrians, and a handy Lucas chain lock to properly secure it against theft, right?????

Naw, can't be much interest in a bunch of old bicycles...... whistle

#402725 - 11/08/11 7:53 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
I have a nice BSA girls bike from the 60s maybe? Looks like the one JubeePrince posted but the seat is plastic covered rather than leather and its got BSA emblems on it. Tried to post a picture but this "wonderful" system we have at work won't let me do it. mad I also have a Triumph from the same vintage but it's only a single speed. Last time I tried to ride either I thought I would have to have it surgically removed from my butt. I'll add pics later if you want.
MikeG

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#402733 - 11/08/11 7:39 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Bonzo, here's a couple of photos of the rescue--I believe the Skipper and Gilligan would have had an easier time getting the Minnow to float again!

Fenders and chainguard: minimal dents and dings at the ends, would need a good sandblast to get 'em down to good metal. Metal itself looks sound. Stays are rivetted to the fenders, one on the rear is really kinky and would need straightening.

Miller dynamo and light- Works!!!! At least the dynamo. Spun it with a rubber wheel attached to a drill, made a 6 volt bulb light up quite good. Tire engage/release mechanism works freely.

Brake levers will probaly need to have bolts cut to remove-then old bolt drilled out and retapped. Rusty, but should function.

Brakes and holders are about the same as the brake levers.

3 speed shifter moves, I feel no 'clicks' good for parts or an oil bath perhaps?

Gooseneck, handlebars- both have pitting rust, not even sure if they can be removed without cutting bolts.

Lovely Duck's Head crank and pedals- DON'T even turn! May take a small thermo-nuclear torch to remove.

Seat and post- cover shot, possible thermo-nuclear removal from frame required.

---------------------

I'd rather try and strip things off, and not bother shipping the frame because of the bulk. I'm not sure if I can get the crank or front forks off without damage- and I'm not trying to get married to a deconstruction project.

If you want anything but the frame, it's yours- just pay actual shipping.

If you want to trade/donate anything, I am looking for a 1968 -1970 Triumph 650 sidecover with the toolbox, and or a 1968 up late sidestand and spring. (That really long, swoop down one.) Trade not required-I grabbed this thing in hopes someone would just want some of these poor, innocent neglected parts, O.K.?

It will take a couple of weeks to get wrenching on this, got a lot of pot, Whoops!, harvest was last month.......er umm, got a lot of POTS in the fire right now..... Joe

P.S. Comes with a full guarentee! That's right, we here at Deadstiffcatt Enterprises offer a 100% guarentee! Our promise to you: "If we're not happy with your money, we'll send you a bill for double the amount! Gaurenteed!!!"

Send all your money to:

Deadstiffcatt Enterprises
1 Non Extraditon Lane
Havana, Cuba

#402740 - 11/08/11 8:17 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: Deadstiffcatt]  
baza57 Offline
BritBike Forum member
baza57  Offline
BritBike Forum member

earth
all BSA Triumph and Raleigh bikes should have a serial number stamped under the crank boss or nearabouts.I found mine under layers of paint and this is a sixtys bike.

#402743 - 11/08/11 8:51 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: MikeG]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: MikeG
I have a nice BSA girls bike from the 60s maybe?...
...I also have a Triumph from the same vintage but it's only a single speed....
...Last time I tried to ride either I thought I would have to have it surgically removed from my butt. I'll add pics later if you want.
MikeG

Ummmm. hey listen Mike, my man...
yeah i feel your pain here bro but PLEASE... pix WON'T be necessary. help

jus sayin. grin

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/08/11 8:54 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#402749 - 11/08/11 10:20 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.

Thatís cool Bonzo! I donít believe Iíve ever had the chance at buying a BSA bicycle.
But Lisa and I do still have these, though it took a while to find a picture. We used them to ride in parks and campgrounds when the girls were young and still wanted to hangout with us.
The old RollFast came from England (so Brit bike fits) and of course the Huffy is 60s USA.

beerchug

Nothing ticks you off more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong!

Ride Safe When You Can; Tim

Small print Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling, grammar or political correctness. Actually IĎm not very responsible at all!
#402751 - 11/08/11 10:01 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: Deadstiffcatt]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Originally Posted By: Deadstiffcatt
Bonzo, here's a couple of photos of the rescue--I believe the Skipper and Gilligan would have had an easier time getting the Minnow to float again!

Fenders and chainguard: minimal dents and dings at the ends, would need a good sandblast to get 'em down to good metal. Metal itself looks sound. Stays are rivetted to the fenders, one on the rear is really kinky and would need straightening.

Miller dynamo and light- Works!!!! At least the dynamo. Spun it with a rubber wheel attached to a drill, made a 6 volt bulb light up quite good. Tire engage/release mechanism works freely.

Brake levers will probaly need to have bolts cut to remove-then old bolt drilled out and retapped. Rusty, but should function.

Brakes and holders are about the same as the brake levers.

3 speed shifter moves, I feel no 'clicks' good for parts or an oil bath perhaps?

Gooseneck, handlebars- both have pitting rust, not even sure if they can be removed without cutting bolts.

Lovely Duck's Head crank and pedals- DON'T even turn! May take a small thermo-nuclear torch to remove.

Seat and post- cover shot, possible thermo-nuclear removal from frame required.

---------------------

It will take a couple of weeks to get wrenching on this,

As irony would have it, after a three hour tour with the wrenches, everything is off the frame except the inner crank (Still may need the thermo-nuke here) and the upper and lower bearing races......

Fenders + chainguard = 4 pounds unpacked

Everything else (less frame of course) is about 20 pounds unpacked.

Later! I'm off to that evil and wicked place---WORK!!!!

#402755 - 11/08/11 10:38 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
WOW!! Maybe we should look into a forum for British bicycles?, do any of you actually ride these things ?I am considering putting fresh tires and a good lubing on one and riding it around the neighborhood .It might look silly but good for the gammy knee .I am looking at a pretty nice Triumph on Craigs list right now,still regretting passing on the R.E.(if it had been black rather than copper color I might have dragged it home to round out the set ). Even sillier , a girls bike might be more practical with the aforemnetioned gammy knee.I found the 3 speed to be pretty good for riding around the swap at Davenport , fatter tires would be a plus however .

right now these things reside on the garage wall but I thinkthey look cool.

Cheech , er,,, I mean Joe , PM me when you get 'round to it . I think I have a line on the 68-70 cover . Almost no Triumph bits here these days

FWIW-BONZO

#402766 - 11/09/11 12:47 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Hank Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hank  Offline
BritBike Forum member

middlesex county, New Jersey
A friend of mine droped off this bike at my shop a couple years ago and said "I know your into those BSA bikes so here you go" It's very unique I think, note the rod controlled brakes yet the gearbox is cable controlled. In the bag is the original receipt and 3 years of tune up records.
It rides differently than newer bikes. feels like your more over top of the front wheel. The second pic is of an advertisment for BSA Bicycle's, Note the gravestone with the piled arm's logo on it as if a window of things to come.
Hank

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#402768 - 11/09/11 12:20 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: ricochetrider]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
I have a nice BSA girls bike from the 60s maybe?...
...I also have a Triumph from the same vintage but it's only a single speed....
...Last time I tried to ride either I thought I would have to have it surgically removed from my butt. I'll add pics later if you want.
MikeG

Ummmm. hey listen Mike, my man...
yeah i feel your pain here bro but PLEASE... pix WON'T be necessary. help

jus sayin. grin

laughing laughing Perhaps I should rephrase that blush

Hows this:

Is this better? ? laughing

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#402786 - 11/09/11 1:19 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: MikeG]  
Life member

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Last time I tried to ride either I thought I would have to have it surgically removed from my butt.

Hey Mike,

It works better if you put a SEAT on the post!!!! laughing laughing laughing

Steve

'77 T140J

#402790 - 11/09/11 1:37 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Life member

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By: BONZO
WOW!! Maybe we should look into a forum for British bicycles?, do any of you actually ride these things ?
FWIW-BONZO

Not sure about "strictly" British bicycles, but there are PLENTY of bicycle (modern & vintage) forums out there....

I ride mine all the time! It's my "beach bike". 3-speeds are perfect for the flat straight roads oceanside....my youngest son and I also rode in the local parade at Bethany Beach, DE, 4th of July past:

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J

#402824 - 11/09/11 5:24 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
DavidP Online content
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Well, I have a Raleigh 10 speed. Paid $20 for it about 15 years ago.
But, it really doesn't qualify as a BSA product.
I'm guessing it was made in the mid '70s, and it says, "made in Canada," on the frame.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#402829 - 11/09/11 5:53 am Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Bonzo, Your pm is full, couldn't send a note. Send me one or empty your bloomin' box! Cheers! Joe

(Under no circumstances send your phone number, cause you may be quite surprised at who calls......)

#402849 - 11/09/11 1:36 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I work in a bike shop part-time. I see an occasional old Raleigh or Schwinn come in for tune up or repairs. Occasionally some one trades up but they don't bring much. I have an old Schwinn Collegiate and a Raleigh Technicum. I put a rack and milk crate on the back of the Raleigh. Great for grocery shopping and hardware store runs. I have made a conscious effort to ride two wheels this past year, motorized or pedal power. Only put 3000 miles on my truck.

Most bikes now come from China. The nicer ones are alloy frame, 3 piece alum cranks, shimano or SRAM hardward, alum wheels, stainless spokes and Taiwanese rubber.

Mr Mike

#402859 - 11/09/11 2:01 pm Re: Raleigh/BSA/Triumph bicycles???? [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
Al Eckstadt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
The red Triumphs 3 spds are supposedly worth more than the black ones by about a third or more.
If you love bicycles especially custom made bikes of all designs go here: (warning: this site will suck you in like a black hole - you may start picking up frames in junk piles)
bike rod n kustom

Al Eckstadt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.460s Queries: 16 (0.015s) Memory: 1.0136 MB (Peak: 1.3849 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 22:20:33 UTC