one year or for life*

BritBike Forum

Sponsors campaign ads..
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor
Shout Box

BritBike.com Decals & Stickers (Free shipping)
BritBike.com decals & stickers
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online
89 registered (KevRasen, ricochetrider, shel, C.B.S, Steve Erickson, Boomer, Semper Gumby, eelmgren, JubeePrince, Curmudgeon, peter paul, paulberry, quinten, Tom Sanders, Alex, Rickman, PineappleTrump, Lannis, zoe, Pete R, beezageezauk, L.A.B., Beach, Blown Income, Mike P, Irish Swede, Tridentman, KennethC., Redd32, StevieP, Waymon3x6, stubbicatt, Lennart, Mr Mike, kommando, kootbiker, tonupjonnie, Adam, Johns Gun Parts, rocketgoldie, Allan, MikeG, MrBSA, htown, desco, Ger, r.bartlett, John Healy, Hillbilly bike, jim.c, M Shearer, KC in S.B., Colonel, Jerry Roy, Elijah, Adrian1, HeyWilly, Mr Jazzbo, TinaPatina69, Sweepster, GrandPaul, Allan Gill, Doc_dup1, Dave T, MalRed, DBDBrian, stefan, goldstarfreddie, AML, dommie90, Mart6, johnhannah, Transgarp, RGSROB, John Goodwin, Shane in Oz, bill50cal, Gordon Gray, 1958superrocket, Pete C, GS DAVE, trumpettwin, Dick Harris, markoz, Andy Lorenz, kurt fischer, Ob1quixote, Rattleballs, oilyamerican), 471 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
eelmgren, Sweepster, r.bartlett, SteveADV, BKSharon
7900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
7900 Members
33 Forums
52496 Topics
486800 Posts

Max Online: 1804 @ 03/01/11 6:54 pm
Top Posters
RF Whatley 10025
John Healy 8547
Lannis 8248
Alex 7396
ricochetrider 7197
JubeePrince 6069
Stuart 5934
kommando 5585
Jon W. Whitley 4805
Kent Shaun 4673
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#402797 - 11/09/11 2:03 am A10 Belt Drive
Zimm Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Kent Island, MD
Anybody running a belt drive/modern clutch set up on their A10? I'm thinking of going that way, and would be interested in other's experiences.

Sources and pricing would be nice to hear about too.

Thanks

Zimm

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Upgrade your BritBike Forum membership for one year or for Life*
#402811 - 11/09/11 3:31 am Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Rickman Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Ohio
Zimm,
I thought about it too, until I found you had to buy 4 spring parts, to buy the belt drive kit, at around $850, and maybe yet do some fiddling around to get it to work.

Over a grand to get a belt drive clutch?

Not for me. Got better things to spend my boik fund on.

EVERYTHING for the boiks is gettin overly expencive...

#402813 - 11/09/11 3:48 am Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Lannis Online   content
Life member

Loc: Old Pop in an Oak
Never have understood "belt drive primaries".

On my bikes that have primary chains, the oil-bath chain primary drive is the longest-lasting and most reliable part of the whole bike. Probably the last thing I'd think about upgrading .....

Lannis

"Plan? There ain't no plan!"

#402884 - 11/09/11 5:06 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Mr Mike Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Cape Carteret, NC
Lannis,
Life is full of interesting stuff. I happen to agree with you on the primary and would much prefer to look at little inexpensive changes to the clutch that can vastly improve it's performance...like additional plates or modified pressure plates. OTOH, who are we to say...I love to look at custom bikes and cars. In most cases their owners will go to great lengths and exacting detail to make their bike or car look cool and neat but in the process ruin the ride or at best don't improve it. Choppers and street rods come to mind. If I had a grand or more to invest in bike stuff, I'd probably be looking to find something else to drag home...but to each his own.

Mr Mike

#402903 - 11/09/11 6:56 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Zimm Offline
BritBike Forum member

One thing I am looking for is a lighter clutch pull. Arthrites in my hands causes things to get sore over the course of a days ride.

Zimm

#402931 - 11/09/11 11:22 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: new jersey usa
Bob Newby clutch and drive kit. Get it from Frank Dheil 843 520 0481. Best thing I ever did to my DBD! PRT

#402938 - 11/10/11 1:20 am Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: pushrod tom]
BONZO R.I.P Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Michigan, USA
I really dont like the idea of a belt drive primary on a streetbike but having had a carpal tunnel release in both hands I do like a light clutch pull.Quite honestly I think an A-10 with a 6 spring clutch can have a delightfully light pull. I do have a frankenstein project A-10 ,sort of a "what if" bike . On this one I fitted a slave hydraulic cylinder from a Ducati to the clutch release . this was surprisingly simple and a one finger pull .

FWiW-BONZO

#402970 - 11/10/11 2:14 am Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Zimm Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bonzo:

Got any pics? Sounds like an interesting idea. I've done the carpel release too which was only part of the problem. The meds seem to work OK, but a lighter pull would be nice.

I'm not sure what clutch is in there. Its a 54 and should have the 6 spring, but who knows. The bike has been running well and I have not wanted to pull it apart until winter.

The 6 spring on my M20 is easier to pull than the A10 and works well, once I used a dial indicator to set it up.

Zimm

#403026 - 11/10/11 2:22 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Mr Mike Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: Cape Carteret, NC
My A65 three spring is not an easy pull. I set it up with a dial and back out the screws as far as possible (until it slips under hard load). I make sure the cable is lubed and as straight as possible but that is about all that can be done.

On my B50 I added a 6th plate. Some of the newer after market plates are thinner and it was possible to add an additional friction disc that greatly increase clutch capacity and permits much lighter lever pull. I haven't tried to nor do I know whether it is be possible on an A65 or A10 but it might be worth investigating. I can send you a writeup if you wish.

Mr Mike

#403037 - 11/10/11 2:21 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
Alex Online   content
BritBike Forum member

Loc: NorCal
I assume it's a swingarm model? A10 plunger clutches can be delightfully light but effective. A dry clutch, all else being the same will always require substantially less pressure to be effective. That's why the plunger clutches and belt drive clutches tend to be much lighter. A belt drive will give you what you want, but it will be expensive....but you already knew that. Careful setup of the stock clutch and extra plates can also improve things....but it will never be as light as a dry clutch.
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.

#403046 - 11/10/11 3:55 pm Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
ShearedCrank Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: New York
Zimm-

A couple of items that may help:

Use a Nylon lined clutch cable. I very much like Flanders Cables offerings.

Insure your barrel end is free to rotate within the lever. Lube with light machine oil.

Also, I was surprised to find how much different the pull was after I cleaned the operating rod bore (in the transmission) with a rifle brush. I hooked it up to a dewalt drill and ran the brass up and down the bore. I got a LOT of junk out of there.

Afterwards, I polished the operating rod on a wheel (cleaned) and reassembled with grease.

Insuring you have the correct geometry (adjustment) for the operating arm is also key.

I have a BNR belt drive now, but I had the Original 5 spring working with one finger (no slip).

Lastly, if your clutch basket has been abused and has notches in it from the clutch plate, none of the above is going to matter. Its going to fight you.

Matt

#403853 - 11/15/11 4:36 am Re: A10 Belt Drive [Re: Zimm]
SEATTLE GS Offline
BritBike Forum member

Loc: SEATTLE WA
I have run one on my goldstar and like the fact that there is no oil to leak now. The clutch action is good but it is a new clutch. NO OIL!!!

Moderator:  Mike Carter 

Untitled Document

Home, Sponsors
Newsletter, Regalia
Calendar, Bike Project
BritBike Museum
Spiders Cartoons

"OLD" BritBike Forum

DVD- Manuals & Parts books
BritBike Stickers & Decals

Upgrade your membership-
one year or for life*