BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
pittss1s
pittss1s
hamilton, va
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 187 guests, and 344 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 72
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
746,785 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,808
Posts670,219
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New BSA 650 owner wiring questions #402185
11/05/11 3:50 pm
11/05/11 3:50 pm
Clark, MO
C
Cole Calloway Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Cole Calloway  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C

Clark, MO
So...
I picked up a 68 chop a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to work on it for a few minutes. The wiring was a mess so I found this diagram for stock points wiring and wired my bike like this. I gave it several kicks and see NO spark... so I am wondering a few things:

1. Does this diagram look good for a stock ignition setup?

[Linked Image]
If you have a better/easier diagram I would love to see it. Just remember it needs to be for a neg. ground, points bike with the tympian unit (what does it do by the way?).

2. How do I test the individual components of the ignition (coils, tympian unit, etc...). I have never worked on a brit bike (mostly Jap) so I am a total newb when it comes to Lucas and his AMAZING electrical smile

3. I would like to get the bike running using the stock components, and then I will probably switch it over to an aftermarket setup. What do you guys recommend... Boyer, Sparx, ???

4. does the wire from the key switch go to the + or - side of the coil?

5. Which of these components needs to be grounded to the bike in order to work? I wired everything up just like the diagram shows, but left all the wiring to the components extra long and laid all the stuff on the shop floor just to see if it would work before I mounted it permanently. I did mount the tympian unit to the frame though... if that matters. Also, I did go back and ground the condensor's.

6. My tympian unit wire colors and locations are different than the one shown in the diagram, where it says black (wire) my wire is brown, and my wires are not in the same locations (but the rest of the colors are the same)???

Sorry for the dumb questions... I just don't know where to go from here. I have Checked and double checked the wiring and I believe it to be identical to the diagram. I have power to the key switch, from the switch to the coils, from the coils to the condesor...? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cole

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: New BSA 650 owner wiring questions [Re: Cole Calloway] #402210
11/05/11 5:49 pm
11/05/11 5:49 pm
Clark, MO
C
Cole Calloway Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Clark, MO
It's a runner!!!
So... I went back and checked over my wiring and everything looked good??? I then lightly sanded the points and I finally saw spark there (progress!), so I tried kicking it over several times... and it backfired out of the exhaust every other time I kicked it over. I thought "this acts like it's firing the wrong cylinder" so I switched the spark plug wires and it fired on the first kick. Seems to run well with the new PWK (JRC) carb. Now I am excited to wire it the right way and take it for a test drive. I will post a video of it running shortly.

Re: New BSA 650 owner wiring questions [Re: Cole Calloway] #402211
11/05/11 5:59 pm
11/05/11 5:59 pm
Clark, MO
C
Cole Calloway Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Clark, MO
Click the pic to see the video!

[Linked Image]

Re: New BSA 650 owner wiring questions [Re: Cole Calloway] #402282
11/06/11 2:07 am
11/06/11 2:07 am
Gnashville
DavidP Online content

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
First off, the diagram you posted is POSITIVE ground.
If you wish to wire the bike negative ground, you will need to ground the brown wire of the Tympanium box. That is your rectifier/regulator. For negative ground you connect the red to battery positive and black (or brown) to ground or battery negative.
Pretty much everything else in the diagram you can swap positive to negative to change grounding. Battery positive to key switch, from there to coil +, coil - to points/condenser. Battery negative to ground via a 20A fuse.
As for ignition, Sparx is a licensed copy of the analog Boyer ignition. Boyer is preferred if for no other reason than the goofy connection to the pickup used by Sparx. That connection is prone to vibrating loose (ask me how I know.)
I would get the bike running well with points before converting to EI.
Looks like a nice project.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership