I picked up a 68 chop a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to work on it for a few minutes. The wiring was a mess so I found this diagram for stock points wiring and wired my bike like this. I gave it several kicks and see NO spark... so I am wondering a few things:
1. Does this diagram look good for a stock ignition setup?
If you have a better/easier diagram I would love to see it. Just remember it needs to be for a neg. ground, points bike with the tympian unit (what does it do by the way?).
2. How do I test the individual components of the ignition (coils, tympian unit, etc...). I have never worked on a brit bike (mostly Jap) so I am a total newb when it comes to Lucas
and his AMAZING electrical
3. I would like to get the bike running using the stock components, and then I will probably switch it over to an aftermarket setup. What do you guys recommend... Boyer
, Sparx, ???
4. does the wire from the key switch go to the + or - side of the coil?
5. Which of these components needs to be grounded to the bike in order to work? I wired everything up just like the diagram shows, but left all the wiring to the components extra long and laid all the stuff on the shop floor just to see if it would work before I mounted it permanently. I did mount the tympian unit to the frame though... if that matters. Also, I did go back and ground the condensor's.
6. My tympian unit wire colors and locations are different than the one shown in the diagram, where it says black (wire) my wire is brown, and my wires are not in the same locations (but the rest of the colors are the same)???
Sorry for the dumb questions... I just don't know where to go from here. I have Checked and double checked the wiring and I believe it to be identical to the diagram. I have power to the key switch, from the switch to the coils, from the coils to the condesor...? Thanks in advance for any and all help.