BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron C
Ron C
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,805 guests, and 537 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,348 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,274
Posts632,183
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#400964 - 10/27/11 4:21 pm Rules.... what rules..??  
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Oh my... now I am truly amazed.. I opened my big mouth on another forum.. It bothers me greatly that there are a bunch of race bikes that have crap for oil containment. But what astonished me moments ago.. is within 5 minutes of my posting, the one post with a picture was already pulled... It was a wet sump engined bike that no way would hold even a cup full of oil if the bike was not perfectly straight up and down...

I still hope that bikes with poor containment do NOT get past Tech Inspection... After all, oil containment is more important than a fancy paint job..!

Ron

#401002 - 10/27/11 7:41 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
phantom309 Offline
BritBike Forum member
phantom309  Offline
BritBike Forum member

spfld vt
speaking of rules ron, was that a smooth bore track carb I saw on ur bike:-)

Tim Joyce
sponsors
D@D cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
#401046 - 10/28/11 2:12 am Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: phantom309]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
My posting was about safety... which to me is THE most important rule(s) there are... I understand that a wet sump engine is a bugger to do properly, but those engines can blow up just like any other... And everyone should run "diapers" in their containment as well.. they only cost a buck.. In 2009 I had the misfortune of testing my oil contaiment on the IOM, and it worked perfectly..! No crash no oil on the road.. just an expensive engine repair...

Oh yes, and the rules should probably be amended to state that there should be some form of containment under-around a high pressure oil filter... Saw a modern bike spit out it's O-ring last year... quickly dumped about 2 quarts of synthetic on the road.. took a long time to clean it up..!

Now as far as I know, my bike is 100% legal as of this year's rules. Any time you want to protest my bike, do it..! But I will file a return protest.. The Goldie comes apart in minutes, now new gaskets or adjustments needed... All them cammy gears and such I suspect is not as easy...

Ron

Originally Posted By: phantom309

#401107 - 10/28/11 3:14 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
t.read Offline
BritBike Forum member
t.read  Offline
BritBike Forum member

nashville, TN
Mine doesn't look like much, but it holds plenty. Tested that out at Daytona unfortunately. The only oil that escaped got on my tire from the spray. As far as I know I didn't get any on the track, but I told the crash truck guys to double check the chicane anyway. The diaper material in mine is extremely absorbent. Held about a quart.

Tony Read
AHRMA 176
'73 T140V
#401115 - 10/28/11 4:43 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
Hi Tony.. yes it gets diffiult on some bikes... I was running 2 diapers in the bottom of my fairing... now I only run one. When my engine blew up on the IOM, I was both shocked and pleased that there was only about half a cup of oil or less that came out the bottom.. a dry sump engine can be a good thing..!

And I am sure TJ knows I am joking with him... heck I would show him the inside of my engine just for grins... Just hope it is not a blow up that causes me to have a look see inside..

But I know we all agree, that all of us need to be sure our bikes have an honest effort at oil containment.. The wet sump engines are the biggest concern due to the volume of oil in them... and if the bike is in a turn, well that oil WILL slosh out of most belly pans I have seen...

And I am a tad sensitive to this issue more than anything else, as I still have that memory of standing next to John Goodall on Sunday and then him crashing on the oil from the bike in front of him... and John was gone...

Ron

#401138 - 10/28/11 6:21 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:

Tim:
You can be tricked into thinking someone is using a Smoothbore, if they put the tall cap, used on the smoothbore, on your standard MKII. It allows you to use a lighter throttle spring. Did you assume it was a smooth bore, or did you confirm it by checking to see if it had a throttle stop screw.
John

#401203 - 10/29/11 12:43 am Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: John Healy]  
phantom309 Offline
BritBike Forum member
phantom309  Offline
BritBike Forum member

spfld vt
oh I dont care john. but that is how i tell to ,no idle screw.no one cares till you win then there all over your bike.I agree with ron and im all for safty but seems over seas still have some races with out belly pans am I wrong on this ron? I see photos that show no belly pans.that rule has for sure saved lives.

Tim Joyce
sponsors
D@D cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
#401273 - 10/29/11 4:55 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
In Remembrance
In Remembrance

California
Hi Tim.. you are partially correct... For the IOM MGP races no oil containment was required for the Classic Bikes only. All other classes required it. Im 2008 was when John Goodall crashed in the oil from an Aermacchi that broke a rod... True it was a freak accident, that engine blew and left oil right on the racing line all through the entire turn.. John died... he was (is) still one of my racing heros... I still can see his full head of shiny silver hair...

I went in to the Hailwood center after the race and several racers and I met with race officials, I was very VOCAL, I was pissed... and I let them know it..! In 2009 the rules changed to recommend containment, and that starting in 2010 it would be mandatory.

IN 2010, a modern bike spit oil out due to his oil filter leaking... what a mess that made...!

OK, the 2010 ACU rules which are used for CRMC races, EXEMPTS classic bikes (still) from mandatory oil containment... So for those races, Tim you are 100% correct... geeesh.. silly eh..?

Yes, we can get nit picky on most of the rules about this and that, but there should be an absolute when it comes to well known safety items...

Oh, ask Dave Roper.. he commented (several times) that I should not have an engine that idles.. especially when he (twice) crahsed my bike at Miller and the engine was idling sucking in that fine dust-sand.. I understand his comments, yet I do kind of laugh at the same time... a new set of piston rings was the cheapest part of that repair..!

Ron

Last edited by Ron - in California; 10/29/11 5:48 pm.
#401423 - 10/30/11 7:00 pm Re: Rules.... what rules..?? [Re: Ron - in California R.I.P.]  
t.read Offline
BritBike Forum member
t.read  Offline
BritBike Forum member

nashville, TN
Hmmm, no idle. Never thought about it that way. When I fell down at Grattan this year I was still right there with the bike and hit the button as soon as I stood up. I don't have velocity stacks though, big filters.

Tony Read
AHRMA 176
'73 T140V

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.094s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8473 MB (Peak: 1.0384 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 17:13:19 UTC