BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
JON BRYANT
JON BRYANT
OLYMPIA WASH.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,565 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT
9961 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 101
Stuart 86
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,153 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,305
Posts632,363
Members9,961
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#399099 - 10/16/11 7:11 am Smiths Beauty Tip  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Replacing the glass on my magnetic speedo, I thought that the needle looked a bit faded.
I found a cheap, easy solution: nail polish. Off to the dollar store, I found the right shade, and my needle looks new again.
beerchug

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#399121 - 10/16/11 10:56 am Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
Dick Harris Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
Morn'n David,do you have a neat way of replacing the crimped on rims??? Dick

#399192 - 10/16/11 7:15 pm Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
Sisyphus Offline
BritBike Forum member
Sisyphus  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maine
Awhile back I saw the tool to crimp the bezel back onto the gauge on eBay or something like that. I would assume you need a new one of those as well...

I'm curious, because I have a broken tach.

There is no such thing as a sympathetic vibration.
#399208 - 10/16/11 9:01 pm Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Dick , a long time ago I replaced the glass and ring on a magnetic speedo. I have no clue what the correct tool looks like but what i did was but a block of hardwood in a lathe and spun a pocket into it that would seat the chrome ring in place but not deep enough to contact the glass . Then I stacked the pieces together (sheetmetal plate,rubber ring , maybe some other biets under ther , cant remember ) then I used a small hammer and a bit of hardwood to sorta tap and peen the edge over . the result didn't look as smooth as the factory arrangement but all in all not bad , I do remembver being nervous about cracking the glass but that didn't happen.I do have a new glass and ring on the shelf , I just might play with one of these again to see if I can get better results ..

FWIW-BONZO

#399226 - 10/16/11 9:57 pm Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
No, Dick, my crimping technique is still evolving. This last time I just used the ring end of a combination wrench to gently coerce the rim back in place. I have seen some interesting ideas on the board, however. I always found the tough part to be getting the rim off without messing it up.
One can hide a multitude of crimping sins with the rubber cup on the later models.
BTW: I did discover a cure for one of my main complaints about these gauges. I never could get the light to stay in place. I had a spare light socket from a generic auto gauge. I put a rubber grommet in the hole and can just shove that light socket into place with a little bulb grease. Still only illuminates one side of the dial, but it stays in place.

Shoot! Might have to do it over. The shade of polish I got doesn't match my tach, and it clashes with my eyes. laughing
Tough to find bright orange nail polish.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#399323 - 10/17/11 2:08 pm Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
I use an aluminum cup that snugly fits the OD of the bezel. This way, you can pry all you want on the back and never distort the bezel.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#399450 - 10/18/11 12:59 am Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: BONZO R.I.P.]  
gREgg-K Online content
BritBike Forum member
gREgg-K  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted By: BONZO
Dick , a long time ago I replaced the glass and ring on a magnetic speedo. I have no clue what the correct tool looks like but what i did was but a block of hardwood in a lathe and spun a pocket into it that would seat the chrome ring in place but not deep enough to contact the glass . Then I stacked the pieces together (sheetmetal plate,rubber ring , maybe some other biets under ther , cant remember ) then I used a small hammer and a bit of hardwood to sorta tap and peen the edge over . the result didn't look as smooth as the factory arrangement but all in all not bad , I do remembver being nervous about cracking the glass but that didn't happen.I do have a new glass and ring on the shelf , I just might play with one of these again to see if I can get better results ..

FWIW-BONZO

You were almost there, Bonzo. You start by having that cup held in your lathe, and holding the instrument into the cup with the tail stock. Then, you need a small ball bearing (like a #608) bolted to the side of a short bar that's held in your tool post. (The idea is to have the bar hold the ball bearing at right angles to hte edge of the new bezel, and act the same way as a metal spinning tool).

Now, start the lathe at slow speed, and bring the ball bearing into contact with the open edge of the bezel to slowly roll it onto the flange of the instrument.

.. Gregg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas, BTH, & Miller Magneto & Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric Restoration
magneto@spyder-it.com
#399456 - 10/18/11 1:17 am Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
BONZO R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
BONZO R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Michigan, USA
Brilliant!I've always wanted to try my hand at metal spinning , this never even occured to me .

thanks-BONZO

#399676 - 10/19/11 10:35 am Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
When I park my bike for a week or so the tach is sometimes slow to come off zero, questioned Howard Inst re this and the old bloke told me that it is probably the needle sticking to the stop post.

Think of the leverage disadvantage from needle axis to tip and minimal rotational force generated by the magnetic drive ?

Good case for a little grease or whatever on the zero post ?

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#399689 - 10/19/11 12:40 pm Re: Smiths Beauty Tip [Re: DavidP]  
Dick Harris Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dick Harris  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

East Bethany New York
Thanks guys,some good idea's here. As far as removing the bezel,I took an old screwdriver, heated it up red,and bent the last 1/4" at about 30 degree's.Then you can lever the edge of the bezel,using the case to lever against and it does a decent job of standing the edge away from the case edge. Much neater than just twisting away with a straight bladed screwdriver. Dick

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.554s Queries: 15 (0.088s) Memory: 0.8624 MB (Peak: 1.0651 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 23:58:57 UTC