BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
kickstarter
kickstarter
United Kingdom
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Adam M.), 292 guests, and 414 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet
10417 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,428 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,297
Posts664,918
Members10,417
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R.I.P. Steve Jobs #397620
10/06/11 12:42 pm
10/06/11 12:42 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Found out about this from my 13 year-old last night. He would always read articles about Steve in the paper and magazines.

Perhaps it's because they were both adopted. Perhaps it's because the kid LOVES anything Apple. Or perhaps it's just some combination of the two.

He (Steve) was only six years older than me. Six years ago at a commencement address at Stanford, he said the following:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Even at the advanced(!) age of fifty, I find it a daily challenge to live in this fashion. Reminds me of a similar quote; certainly in the same vein, but much simpler and concise:

"To thine ownself be true."

Thanks for reminding me Steve Jobs.

Steve Prince

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397744
10/07/11 2:00 am
10/07/11 2:00 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
3 cheers AND a hip-hip-hooray for Steve Jobs-
a great American innovator.

listening to an NPR special on him this evening. perhaps one of the more forward-thinking individuals of our time, he's touched pretty much anyone who uses computers for sure and then of course there's the iPhone, the MAC computers, iPad, iPod... it really does go on & on. can't recall anyone else whose death had quite the impact across the board. LOTS of folks talking about this one.

R.I.P.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/07/11 2:04 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397751
10/07/11 2:58 am
10/07/11 2:58 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
I remember back in 1985 a friend of mine proclaimed, "Hey, I just bought a MacIntosh!"
First words from my lips were, "How many watts per channel?"

Where will Microsloth steal their ideas now?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: DavidP] #397761
10/07/11 7:36 am
10/07/11 7:36 am
Cheshire UK
Phatt Bob Offline
BritBike Forum member
Phatt Bob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cheshire UK
Thanks for the iPod Steve, don't need to carry cassettes or CDs around anymore.

Nice one, mate.

Bob

Phatt Bob
'95 Daytona 1200
'98 Daytona 1200 dragbike
ex-850 T140 Caff Racer, 850 Triton, Morgo T120, Starfire and Pretend Daytona 500 owner
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397835
10/07/11 6:08 pm
10/07/11 6:08 pm
Nor Cal
Roadwarrior Offline

BritBike Forum member
Roadwarrior  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Nor Cal
He has touched just about everyone's lives. The world will not be the same without him. Truly amazing person. RIP.

Who are the brain police?

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: DavidP] #397855
10/07/11 9:02 pm
10/07/11 9:02 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: DavidP
I remember back in 1985 a friend of mine proclaimed, "Hey, I just bought a MacIntosh!"
First words from my lips were, "How many watts per channel?"

Where will Microsloth steal their ideas now?

yeah right?

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397879
10/07/11 11:59 pm
10/07/11 11:59 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Hmmm....I dunno.....

Perhaps early on (late 70's to mid 80's) MS and Apple were in direct competition with each other for market share. They were both selling beige boxes with floppy drives.

Once Jobs came back to Apple after he sold Pixar, he began to market form and function devices. Not only were they beautiful to look at but they functioned well.

With the advent of the multi-hued iMac and the iPod, Jobs got ahead of the curve and remained there. I've heard him described as a 're-inventor' which seems a fairly apt description. He took things and ideas that were already in the marketplace (and some that were not) and perfected them.

As for stealing, while it's mostly a myth, Apple, when developing the original Macintosh, "stole" the GUI and mouse platform from Xerox. Jobs got Apple engineers into the Xerox PARC facility to do 'research'(translation: steal). In exchange, Jobs and Wozniak offered Xerox the option to buy 10,000 pre-IPO shares of Apple stock at 10.00/share. Xerox could have been at the forefront of the PC revolution with the GUI and mouse they had, but opted for the stock options....

You could argue that for what Apple paid Xerox they DID steal it!!!

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397886
10/08/11 12:17 am
10/08/11 12:17 am
Minnesota, US
Jim Hultman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jim Hultman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Minnesota, US
It has always amazed me that people worship Jobs and vilify Gates. When, in reality, it was Gates who made the PC affordable and started the real home computer revolution.

Jobs was greedy beyond belief and would have priced PC's well outside the normal budget, had not Gates forced the issue with an admittedly inferior machine.

In the end, we probably needed them both to get where we are today, and his creativity will certainly be missed.

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397895
10/08/11 1:18 am
10/08/11 1:18 am
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
despite it all Steve Jobs became that great innovator,
who was reinventing the wheel, and it wasn't just some quirk.

breaking that old mainstay keyboard style, the traditional QUERTY keypad, with the iPhone keypad, and the iPad.

he revolutionized music sharing with iTunes & the iPod,

and shifted the paradigm again with the iPhone and iPad keyboard format, which don't require a mouse to operate, it's all heat sensitive er... i mean CAPACITANCE SENSITIVE touch screens... thru actual glass screens.

yes, everyone copies somebody sometime. no matter how you slice it, Steve Jobs went one better (or two, or three) and shifted entire paradigms. not everyone can make the same claim.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/10/11 6:45 pm.

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #397983
10/08/11 10:29 pm
10/08/11 10:29 pm
BC Canada
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
Commodore PET
Commodore CBM
Vic20
Amiga
MAC 512
MAC PLUS
MAC SE
MAC LE
MAC QUADRA 900 w/Radius AV cards. (Last real Macs)
PowerPC Centris 610
G3
Well considering the core advertising Apple started with a warning like don't let things become 1984 ala Orwell Steve was probably quite bummed out. It was a hippy operation to start. Apple got it right but after they ditched Motorola chips in 90's and went PowerPC Jobs and Woz sort of left the dream and that bloated 1984 government he "warned" of was one of his biggest customers as of late. Iphoones, ipads all just gimmicks people THINK they need. The ultimate in advertising personified but useless to 80% of humans that don't even have power, a desk or clean water.
S

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: 441/R3cafeSteve] #398180
10/10/11 1:08 pm
10/10/11 1:08 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By: 441/R3cafeSteve
Iphoones, ipads all just gimmicks people THINK they need. The ultimate in advertising personified but useless to 80% of humans that don't even have power, a desk or clean water.

I would call it consumerism personified.....

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398182
10/10/11 1:16 pm
10/10/11 1:16 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: JubeePrince
Iphoones, ipads all just gimmicks people THINK they need. The ultimate in advertising personified but useless to 80% of humans that don't even have power, a desk or clean water.

Steve

and i would call it a convenience of living in a first-world country in modern times. and i don't feel guilty about any of the conveniences i choose to enjoy...
which include but are not limited to owning old motorcycles.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/10/11 1:17 pm.

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398204
10/10/11 3:26 pm
10/10/11 3:26 pm
Westminster, MD, USA
J
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Westminster, MD, USA

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398215
10/10/11 4:25 pm
10/10/11 4:25 pm
British Columbia
hh Offline
BritBike Forum member
hh  Offline
BritBike Forum member

British Columbia
Apple's touch screens aren't heat sensitive, they're capacitance sensitive. Bill Gates is vilified because he was born into a family of lawyers and stole, legally maneuvered, or as a last resort, bought anything that Microsoft ever made money on. Microsoft software is known for being bloated, insecure, unstable and just plain inferior to what Apple produced. What's to like there?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: ricochetrider] #398228
10/10/11 5:57 pm
10/10/11 5:57 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
Originally Posted By: JubeePrince

Steve

and i would call it a convenience of living in a first-world country in modern times. and i don't feel guilty about any of the conveniences i choose to enjoy...

Not so much of a "convenience" as "toys", in my view. I've gone as far as buying a computer, but all that "i-" stuff and cell phone stuff and GPS stuff is just wasted money to me.

Mind you, I've got NO problem whatsoever with people buying whatever kind of toys they like, be they country-club memberships, iPads, $1000-a-pint balsamic vinagrette, bass boats, Arlen Ness chrome billet, Blackberries, jet skis, old AJS motorcycles or whatever.

It's when people paying for any of these things along with the monthly charges they incur, start talking about how HARD life is these days, and what BAD SHAPE the "economy" is in, and how hard it is to MAKE IT under these almost Depression-like conditions, and how they don't make enough money to "GET BY".

My granddaddy would be appalled. laughing

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 10/10/11 5:59 pm.

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398242
10/10/11 6:57 pm
10/10/11 6:57 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
Not so much of a "convenience" as "toys", in my view. I've gone as far as buying a computer, but all that "i-" stuff and cell phone stuff and GPS stuff is just wasted money to me.

So, if all this is such a waste of time why do we see you here?

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: hh] #398245
10/10/11 7:11 pm
10/10/11 7:11 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By: hh
Apple's touch screens aren't heat sensitive, they're capacitance sensitive. Bill Gates is vilified because he was born into a family of lawyers and stole, legally maneuvered, or as a last resort, bought anything that Microsoft ever made money on. Microsoft software is known for being bloated, insecure, unstable and just plain inferior to what Apple produced. What's to like there?

well for one thing the price is right on MS-based hardware for a semi-PC-literate schmuck such as myself who really only uses a PC or laptop to surf the web for purchases and tix (travel & otherwise), email, and photo storage + management. the geek-wanna-be in me says HECKEFFINYES! BUY IT!
but the common sense buyer in me ( laughing roll with me people) says OUCH. 1299.00 for a laptop SEEMS like such a shaft. the iPad2 seems like it's OK and would serve the same function for me as the laptop as a travel aid- but who needs another toy to tote about (or to collect dust)...
in truth i'd use it on the few times i might get on a plane, to watch movies or whatever... and not too often otherwise, as we have the big Dell PC and Laptop hooked up side by side in the office at home.

frankly, my iPhone has replaced my EEE PC netbook as THE device for just about everything, and YES i can watch movies on it, but the 16 gig storage is a bit limiting maybe, for such endeavors as use on a flight.

Thinking about a Garmin GPS, (Nuvi 1350 or 1450 LMT) recently... then again, you can now buy a Garmin Software app (49.00 +/-) for the iPhone.... which stores all maps/info IN THE PHONE so no reception needed! i use the provided Google Maps feature on the phone a LOT but it's hard to see while driving and that's the ONLY reason i'd upgrade to a dedicated GPS.

yes the Apple products Do rock- as i've been around them enough to know for sure. but i've never been able to justify them for home use, strictly on the cost.
tho i definitely love the iPhone, (which did NOT break the bank) for all its varied uses, not the least of which is the internet IN YOUR HAND.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/10/11 7:14 pm.

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: ricochetrider] #398247
10/10/11 7:40 pm
10/10/11 7:40 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By: ricochetrider
yes the Apple products Do rock- as i've been around them enough to know for sure. but i've never been able to justify them for home use, strictly on the cost.

I'm right there with you Tom....I have an old Windows laptop that I re-formatted and run Linux on....I have another that runs Vista...when I'm not on those, I'm on my iPhone.

I would have to say that based on a cost-analysis, it just MIGHT be a wash. My experience:

Laptop purchased in Sep. '05 goes t*ts up in Aug. '07 (HDD crash)

Laptop purchased in Sep.'07 goes t*ts up in Nov. '09 (bad keyboard - I actually used a USB keyboard with it to keep it going for awhile)

Laptop purchased in Dec. '09 still in use today.

Approximate total of three purchases: $2,400.00

I often wonder what would have happened if I'd pulled the trigger on a Mac the first or second go-around....could have POSSIBLY saved myself some cash.

Caveat to the folks who think that perhaps I abuse my machines: I have two young boys that bang away on them too! laughing

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: John Healy] #398251
10/10/11 7:49 pm
10/10/11 7:49 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: John Healy
Quote:

So, if all this is such a waste of time why do we see you here?

Sounds like a bit a of "Non Sequitur"? I didn't say anything remotely like "all this is a waste of time", as I think you'll see upon mature reflection upon what I wrote.

I already admitted to a computer, and I consider time on BritBike (within limits) as "not-a-waste-of-time", obviously.

I said that I consider iPads and iPhones and Blackberries and GPSs and all the other little "gotta-have" devices that are being discussed as "a waste of money". I don't own any, my family doesn't own any, and to be honest, I don't see where people come up with the money to pay for them.

If they've GOT the money, fine, you twiddle your Berrypod and I'll fiddle with my Matchless. It's the combination of "Times are So Hard" with "What Do You Think of the new iPhonePadPod?" that gets to me.

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398252
10/10/11 7:50 pm
10/10/11 7:50 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Boston, Massachusetts
If you want to run your business on a PC abandon the MS software and load Unix or Linux (the Mac operating system is Linux) as the operating system. Then purchase your business software that runs on Linux or Unix. You will also not have Microsoft in your pocket and no more Blue Screens of Death.

If you want a toy, a second career, and a headache, use the MS operating system. That is, unless you are a computer geek, love solving cryptic problems and want to hide all of this technology from the people. I have always seen MS saying, "we can do that!" after Steve brought it to market.

If you want a tool to do a job, and don't desire a second career as a computer geek, spend the money and get the Mac. This is no more true than when you work with digital images, music or are publishing. Though I must admit, since Adobe started writing Mac software it isn't any where as easy to use... slowly, the geeks are trying to take the Mac computer back.

Steve Jobs might not have invented the windows concept, but he understood its power. I suspect if the windows concept was left at IBM, it would have languished and the geeks would have eventually thrown it in the rubbish.

Steve, I was with you from the beginning, owned at least one of every computer you offered (we have 9 Imac's and portables as I write this), and I will deeply miss your vision!

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: Lannis] #398261
10/10/11 8:38 pm
10/10/11 8:38 pm
BC Canada
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
Well my point was that when Apple started or more like Macintosh started the sales pitch was freedom from the norm and nazi/soviet like government. A creative device that would unleash a new form of creative expression. LOL! Start with the alternative "rebel" crowd then advertise that "cool" factor to the folks that cannot even name the last 5 presidents let alone understand the constitution of their country.

Point is Macs today and since end of 90's are like calling BSA rifle scopes motorcycles. They are not consumers they are advertising victims,
Canucks are just as spaced out so not picking on US.
S

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: John Healy] #398262
10/10/11 8:39 pm
10/10/11 8:39 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline

BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
I really don't now diddly about computers or operating systems in particular, but I've been in and out of the auto parts bussiness since 1977, and almost every place I worked was computerized. Three years ago we switched from an inhouse system that ran Linux to a system by Activant that runs Windows XP. It is the biggest slowest piece of CRAP I've ever had the misfortune to use. If the man who invented a better way is gone I'm truly sorry. I don't use a computer much at home cause I can do that here while I'm "working" but when its time to replace my 10 year old HP, it will not be with one that runs a Microsoft operating system.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398263
10/10/11 8:41 pm
10/10/11 8:41 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Of course, you COULD argue that Linux is a de facto Unix system! laughing

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: MikeG] #398265
10/10/11 8:48 pm
10/10/11 8:48 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline OP

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline OP

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By: MikeG
If the man who invented a better way is gone I'm truly sorry.

He's not gone! grin

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs [Re: JubeePrince] #398360
10/11/11 9:52 am
10/11/11 9:52 am
BC Canada
441/R3cafeSteve Offline
BritBike Forum member
441/R3cafeSteve  Offline
BritBike Forum member

BC Canada
The factory blues for those iphones

Steve Jobs sure knew about this stuff.
S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership