BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
CaptainPugwash
CaptainPugwash
Conisbrough,Yorkshire, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
17 registered members (6T), 148 guests, and 380 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
Triless 77
reverb 75
Popular Topics(Views)
710,199 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,305
Posts665,023
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A65 tank colour #397695
10/06/11 7:22 pm
10/06/11 7:22 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
I've been rebuilding an A65 from a box of bits over the last year or two and now need some advise on paint colour. The bike is a mix of parts, the frame being an early A65 star and the engine is a 68 firebird.

The tank that came with bike is a two gallon fibreglass item and has a 'Lightning' transfer on the top. IM not sure if the paint is original and as I want to spray the side panels to match the tank I need some advise on finding the correct colour.

From looking at the BSA specs there seem to be 2 A65 colours which are Royal Red or Flamboyant Red. I have inserted a pic of my tank and IM hoping someone can advise me which colour my tank is.

As IM planning on spraying the sidepanels using rattle can paint from a car parts shop, IM hoping someone can advise which car colour is a similar shade or provide the correct paint code.

I wouldnt be suprised if the colour cant be accuratley identified, in which case I may paint the tank and side panels together providing I can buy Royal/Flambouyant red, so heres hoping someone knows the paint codes or similar auto shade.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: A65 tank colour [Re: gunner] #397703
10/06/11 8:44 pm
10/06/11 8:44 pm
arkansas
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member
L

arkansas
Gunner I don't think any of those glass tanks were painted originally, color was in the gel coat. So as far as matching any paint you have, you might be on your own.

Re: A65 tank colour [Re: gunner] #397735
10/07/11 12:45 am
10/07/11 12:45 am
Medford, Oregon
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Use the tank. Seal the inside with Caswell's tank sealer or equivalent. They are fine when sealed (if done properly). I have done several. No subsequent problems with present day fuel.

Reds are the most difficult to reproduce on the internet, so the color we see in your image could be way off from its actual physical color.

There are a lot more red colors than the two you mentioned; Cherokee Red, Mandarin Red, and Peony Red come to mind. Flamboyand Red is a candy color. As Leon said, the color is in the gel coat, so there is no color codes for matching original paint since the tanks (fiberglass tanks anyway) were not painted.

Some automotive paint supply shops can electronically color match any paint color as long as an area of the paint is in good condition.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
Re: A65 tank colour [Re: gunner] #397765
10/07/11 8:32 am
10/07/11 8:32 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
And reds fade a lot so what it was will be nothing like what it is now.
Two options
Find a red that you like and spray the lot
or
go to a auto paint store and get some made to match.

Even if they are the same, on the bike they will look different because of the effect of shadowing and the curvatures.
Easiest solution is to put some clear on top and polish the hell out of it once it had hardened. A bit of shine will kill any colour difference.

Finally no matter what colour you use 1/2 of the morons you meet will tell you it is wrong

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: A65 tank colour [Re: BSA_WM20] #397767
10/07/11 8:54 am
10/07/11 8:54 am
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Cheers guys, looks like the best approach would be to start again and repaint the whole lot. I might even get a bodyshop to do a paintjob as my spraying skills arent up to much.

The tank is already sealed, I used Petseal Ultra which is supposedley ethanol resistant. It seems to be holding up and has been filled with petrol for several months.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership